Star Trek Discovery

*sigh* Yet Another Example of the "Evil badness Alien / AI Tech that relies on a single central controlled point of failure. Hasn't the concept of distributed computing reached Sci Fi writers?
So, with the way Season 2 of "Star Trek: Discovery" ended, will there be a Season 3?
And was that William Shatner's jaw we saw in a cameo role?

It's already been renewed for season 3. What it will consist of though, we don't know.

Any chances season 1 and 2 be on H&I network in the future?:hungry

Refuses to pay streaming services with internet add on cost and the bandwidth here is pretty crappy.

Would to get it on Blue Ray DVD if there a sale's special going on.:)

*sigh* Yet Another Example of the "Evil badness Alien / AI Tech that relies on a single central controlled point of failure. Hasn't the concept of distributed computing reached Sci Fi writers? So, with the way Season 2 of "Star Trek: Discovery" ended, will there be a Season 3?

It was quietly renewed for Season 3, but I doubt we'll see it until 2021. If this show was airing on actual CBS on television instead of AA, I don't think it would've been renewed. Based off the numbers some media organizations are reporting, it's averaging anywhere from 300,000 to 500,000 viewers per episode on AA, which is not good for a show that spent $10 million per episode and yet still went overbudget on top of that.

A look back at the untold adventures of Captain Pike and the Starship Enterprise as seen from the historical records aboard the Starship Discovery :D

I'll give some credit. I did like the additions of Captain Pike and Spock, despite the writers always making them apologize to other crew members, and constantly having the other crew members put them down and not follow their orders. The bridge of the Enterprise looked nice as well. And then in the finale, they actually got 2 things right -- one, having the Klingons say "It is a good day to die", and two, having the Enterprise actually firing beams for phasers.

But throughout the entire second season, I was once again finding myself yelling in frustration at the TV. Issues with canon/history aside, there were so many logic loopholes in every episode, it was ridiculous.

Two completely different sets of uniforms (the blue ones for the Discovery crew, the multi-colored TOS ones for the Enterprise crew). Trying to evade the mines at the Section 31 base instead of, you know, actually firing to destroy them. Photon torpedoes being fired out of the Discovery's warp nacelles. Evacuating everyone to the Enterprise via long corridors extended between the ships instead of using shuttles or the transporter. A single photon torpedo lodged in the Enterprise's saucer section, powerful enough to destroy 4 decks of the ship, yet a single blast door with a see-through glass panel was enough to protect Pike from the explosion. And between the Discovery and the Enterprise alone, they had access to over 200 shuttles and automated drones/fighters between them? You could barely fit 2-3 shuttles in most other Federation ship shuttle bays. And on top of that, the whole thing with the time suit and the "time crystals" -- if you have access to building that technology, why not just go back to Season 1 and prevent the entire Klingon war from beginning in the first place, saving millions of lives in the process?

When the last episode literally ended with Pike and Spock aboard the Enterprise, and they departed drydock, engaging their warp drive, all I could think about was, "I would actually watch a series on Pike's adventures aboard the Enterprise." And then I also thought, "If anyone just randomly tuned in and watched this one single episode itself, they would be so confused. This show is supposed to center around the Discovery and yet the last scene makes you think the entire show revolves around the Enterprise and its crew instead." That was aside from the excuse of no one ever speaking of Discovery or its crew ever again, in an attempt to fix canon (doesn't fix the advanced technology problem mind you).

It's a good thing SPACE used a DS9 marathon to lead into the airing of Discovery, because not only did it remind me of how much better the writing, music and acting used to be on DS9, but it also probably gave an initial boost to Discovery's viewership as well.

Reactions: TheKrell
This is so cool. Discovery in the 33rd century. I am betting that the rest of the show will stay there so they no longer change anything in the original Star Trek series. The way they left the season finale , no one will ever speak about Discovery or Michael . This way they can do anything they want in the 33rd century without worrying about history. It will be like a complete new show next season. This will be the furthest any Star Trek ship has been in the future. I sure hope that they do a Capt. Pike Enterprise series too. I really like him as the captain. It is like you get the best of Kirk with the intellect of Picard all wrapped up into one character. He is the most balanced male captain I've seen yet.

My wife expressed interest in this series which I eschew because it is non-canonical. What's the cheapest way to view it?

My wife expressed interest in this series which I eschew because it is non-canonical. What's the cheapest way to view it?
How is it non canonical?

Outside of non legal ways, prime had a deal on cbs all access, or there is a free trial available that you could binge them during. Otherwise simply use the monthly fee version.

Thanks.
How is it non canonical?

Having never seen it, I have no first hand info. But I thought I read that in this very thread. What is obvious to me from the stills is that it's anachronistic. The bridge and other technical capabilities displayed on the show all of a sudden never existed in TOS.

Reactions: wormil
Thanks.

Having never seen it, I have no first hand info. But I thought I read that in this very thread. What is obvious to me from the stills is that it's anachronistic. The bridge and other technical capabilities displayed on the show all of a sudden never existed in TOS.

Lots of people refuse to take it as canon because they didn’t like the look of some things. Doesn’t mean it isn’t. It’s been stated to take place in the prime universe.
The things in discovery that we haven’t heard of are more or less explained later on.

How is it non canonical?

Outside of non legal ways, prime had a deal on cbs all access, or there is a free trial available that you could binge them during. Otherwise simply use the monthly fee version.
Does it actually follow any of the Star Trek canon? The show seems to have many technical advancements not seen in Star Trek TOS.

Does it actually follow any of the Star Trek canon? The show seems to have many technical advancements not seen in Star Trek TOS.
Indeed it does, as I mentioned the main thing people discuss as advancements not seen are the spore drive.
Why it isn’t seen or discussed is dealt with in the second season.

The holographic communication technology is also explained in the second season.

Reactions: Zookster
I just finished watching season 2 of Discovery last night and really enjoyed it. It's totally cinematic in its special effects and budget. They gave Klingons hair in season two, brought in classic Starfleet uniforms, and, as mentioned above, explained the new technology. I personally didn't care if they did or didn't. I'd much rather see a Star Trek show that looks like the future should really look like based on our current technology and design concepts than one based on analog, 1960s concepts of design and future technology.

At any rate, CBS All Access regularly has free month offers. I had yet to pay for a month of CBSAA until I recently went to cancel after my free month and took advantage of a two months at 50% off offer to stick around to check out Twilight Zone and finish another show I got into.

Reactions: dfergie and Ronnie-
I sure hope that they do a Capt. Pike Enterprise series too. I really like him as the captain. It is like you get the best of Kirk with the intellect of Picard all wrapped up into one character. He is the most balanced male captain I've seen yet.

Anson Mount did an amazing job, totally sold me on him as Pike. Great casting decision, though I was a bit concerned initially after his terrible role in Inhumans.

I don't care about canon so much, but I will have nothing to do with anything outside of prime universe.