Star Trek Discovery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I skipped season 1 entirely and watched all of season 2. I agree it was engaging but...
  1. The level of technology was ridiculous on Discovery, and there is still no explanation for where it all went before Kirk's Enterprise took off on it's 5-yaer mission. Star Trek Enterprise never did this damage to canon.
  2. Disappearing 930 years into the future was interesting, but still doesn't explain my #1 beef.
  3. I didn't see why somebody above claimed the invention of, and eventual disappearance of, the spore drive was explained. This strikes me as the #1 anachronism in STD.

Reactions: DialgaChampion
I skipped season 1 entirely and watched all of season 2. I agree it was engaging but...
  1. The level of technology was ridiculous on Discovery, and there is still no explanation for where it all went before Kirk's Enterprise took off on it's 5-yaer mission. Star Trek Enterprise never did this damage to canon.
  2. Disappearing 930 years into the future was interesting, but still doesn't explain my #1 beef.
  3. I didn't see why somebody above claimed the invention of, and eventual disappearance of, the spore drive was explained. This strikes me as the #1 anachronism in STD.
It (discovery and the spore drive) was sent to the future, and all records of it were sealed/destroyed. It explained that in the end. Then Spock and the rest of the crew covered, and got starfleet to make any mention of the events punishable as treason.

It (discovery and the spore drive) was sent to the future, and all records of it were sealed/destroyed. It explained that in the end. Then Spock and the rest of the crew covered, and got starfleet to make any mention of the events punishable as treason.
How much more can that be stretched before it breaks? :)

Reactions: TheKrell

OK, but in my heart of hearts, I think that's a stretch.
  1. The spore drive didn't need to be an unmentionable at all since it had nothing to do with Control trying to take over and exterminate sentient life. Now there's an entity that needs to be banned! I think too many people know about the spore drive to keep the lid on that.
  2. Nothing we know says the Sphere is the only sphere in existence.
  3. Banning mention of something like Control (if that is what you think is punishable as treason) prevents future Starfleet from learning anything. Another Control could arise just like another Sphere could arise.
  4. We'll see what they do in Season 3. Probably mess up your scenario entirely.

I skipped season 1 entirely and watched all of season 2. I agree it was engaging but..
  1. I didn't see why somebody above claimed the invention of, and eventual disappearance of, the spore drive was explained. This strikes me as the #1 anachronism in STD.

You skip season one and complain the invention of the spore drive wasn't explained? Okay. :rollingeyes

You skip season one and complain the invention of the spore drive wasn't explained? Okay. :rollingeyes

I am sorry for my lack of clarity. I meant the disappearance wasn't explained. msmith has subsequently given his theory to "explain" it's disappearance.

OK, but in my heart of hearts, I think that's a stretch.
  1. The spore drive didn't need to be an unmentionable at all since it had nothing to do with Control trying to take over and exterminate sentient life. Now there's an entity that needs to be banned! I think too many people know about the spore drive to keep the lid on that.
  2. Nothing we know says the Sphere is the only sphere in existence.
  3. Banning mention of something like Control (if that is what you think is punishable as treason) prevents future Starfleet from learning anything. Another Control could arise just like another Sphere could arise.
  4. We'll see what they do in Season 3. Probably mess up your scenario entirely.
I believe the point was Discovery and its missions related to Control, etc. can't be discussed, and the spore drive is part of that. No Discovery, no spore drive. If you had watched season one you'd know Discovery is a very special ship that not everyone in Starfleet knows about. Is it a stretch that no one would ever talk about it? Sure. But it's what we got and we know it worked because of the rest of the franchise.

If I recall, Pike made it very clear that he was no fan of the computer systems and Holographic technology and ordered it removed from the Enterprise after it was used to compromise Discovery. Maybe that's why in ToS they put Pike in a motorized wheelchair with a single lightbulb that he could turn on and off to indicate Yes or No. The ultimate punishment for a Luddite…

Reactions: primestar31
And once again proving the complete and utter incompetence of Kurtzman and the chaotic culture running behind the scenes at Star Trek Discovery, this happens, continuing the story of why this show is an absolute train-wreck, and why every single time I try to be positive about Picard, my confidence is thrown right out the window.

I don't know if any other show has ever had as many firings, licensing issues, and problems with writers and harassment, as Star Trek Discovery has had.

Author Walter Mosley Quits 'Star Trek: Discovery' After Using N-Word in Writers Room

I'm pretty sure if you put under the microscope the writers room of any major big-budget TV show with similar high levels of expectation for success, you'd find similar complaints to HR for harassing behavior or inappropriate language and folks leaving in a huff. More than anything, CBS/Discovery has a PR problem.

With a comment in his defense like "As far as I know the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence assure me of both the freedom of speech and the pursuit of happiness," it appears Mosley has unrealistic expectations of what working under a corporate HR framework entails. I'm guessing he didn't read the employee manual. If the company says you can't say "bubble gum," you can't say "bubble gum."

When does this come back on? I thought I saw somewhere in April, but I can't find where I saw that.

It was supposed to be April, but the virus stopped that. From what I've read, filming for season 3 wrapped before the virus shut everything down, so the lack of a premier of season 3 may be post-production issues. Anyway, I've looked at 6-8 different websites and no one knows of a date for the debut of season 3...

• Sad