Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I never thoughts I’d see James T Kirk played by Jim Carrey. :)

I am just glad that we will most likely only see JTK as A junior officer and most likely not in the crew of Enterprise.

As far as Una we knew that story was unresolved. And had to come to a conclusion. I doubt she will be gone for long.

But the doctor‘s story is resolved.
Una’s is on the way to be resolved.
Spock’s threesome issues continue, as expected.
Pike may have come to grips with his fate.

The big question mark is La’an Noonien Singh, in terms of where she is and really why she left.

and we need a new engineer, but that doesn’t have to be Scotty, and since he wasn’t in the beginning of TOS, I don’t think it has to be him (even though in alternate time line, 7.5 years in the future, it is him.

Reactions: TheKrell
Unlike the prior episodes, I didn't spot any continuity errors despite the massive opportunity with the time crystal.
Upon further reflection, I think the existence of the time crystal itself is an issue. Where did it come from? Did Pike return to Chronos and talk the Klingon monks out of another? The last time Pike got one from Chronos, it went into the time suit at the end of Discovery, season 2, and was burned out in the jump 930 years into the future.

Paul Wesley on Kirk in the finale and Kirk in Season 02

That’s wild. After you booked it, how did you go about developing your own iteration of such a classic sci-fi character? Did you want any vestiges from Mr. Shatner in this Kirk?

The most important aspect is to not do an imitation of something that is sacred. And obviously William Shatner’s interpretation of Captain Kirk has really touched people; it’s been important to people for a variety of reasons. I think the most important thing is to not do an imitation because it’s an insult to the character who is so iconic — and it’s a reminder that I’m not William Shatner. (Laughs.) So, this is a version of Kirk we’ve never seen, and every episode is different.

Obviously, the season one finale is an alternate timeline that doesn’t exist, because it takes place in the future. He’s not captain of the Enterprise. He’s never met Spock, and he’s never had all those experiences. It’s a Kirk who has been shaped differently. So in the season finale, it really was open to interpretation. In season two, we meet a Kirk who we know better. I think the most important thing was to pay respect to the important pillars of his personality: His morality, his incredible instinct, his courage, his empathy towards others and how protective he is of his crew.

Upon further reflection, I think the existence of the time crystal itself is an issue. Where did it come from? Did Pike return to Chronos and talk the Klingon monks out of another? The last time Pike got one from Chronos, it went into the time suit at the end of Discovery, season 2, and was burned out in the jump 930 years into the future.
More than one crystals.

I'm not as versed in TOS or canon as many are here, so I was really confused in the finale (great episode overall, btw) about this 100 years of war (or peace?) with the Romulans. When Pike was trying to negotiate with the Romulan commander to come to a peaceful resolution, the commander talked about how tired he was of the war with the Federation and said something to the effect that unlike his junior officers he still remembers a time when there was peace. And then just minutes later when the Romulan Praetor is poised to attack the Enterprise, Pike says something about how it would end the 100 years of peace with the Federation. So which is it? 100 years of war or 100 years of peace? Or is it just bad, inconsistent writing?

I agree with KAB on this one. James T was miscast.

But I also have to agree with everyone who liked this episode. Unlike the prior episodes, I didn't spot any continuity errors despite the massive opportunity with the time crystal.

I am upset about Una, though. She didn't deserve that.
It's a plot line for next season I'm sure. Had to provide a cliff hanger so the viewers come back.

Had to provide a cliff hanger...
I disagree with that. Pike seems to be resigned to his fate, and those of the cadets as well. The only thing resembling a cliff hanger was the arrest of Una. I don't think she had a hand in her own genetic engineering.

The only thing resembling a cliff hanger was the arrest of Una. I don't think she had a hand in her own genetic engineering.
Well, she's Illyrian and that's what they do. They are species that regularly practice genetic modification. But worse, as the adage goes, "it's not the crime, it's the cover up." She lied to Starfleet about being a genetically altered Illyrian.

I'm not as versed in TOS or canon as many are here, so I was really confused in the finale (great episode overall, btw) about this 100 years of war (or peace?) with the Romulans. When Pike was trying to negotiate with the Romulan commander to come to a peaceful resolution, the commander talked about how tired he was of the war with the Federation and said something to the effect that unlike his junior officers he still remembers a time when there was peace. And then just minutes later when the Romulan Praetor is poised to attack the Enterprise, Pike says something about how it would end the 100 years of peace with the Federation. So which is it? 100 years of war or 100 years of peace? Or is it just bad, inconsistent writing?
OK. The proto-Federation and the Romulans fought a war about 100 years ago. Stalemate and the entire treaty was negotiated over the radio, which is why nobody knew what they looked like. Leaving behind a "neutral zone" with armed outposts on each side (insert Cold War analogy here). Then the Romulans went through a long period that they describe as "internal strife" which they resolve and then begin to prepare to attach the Federation again (insert a 40 year old prediction about the current European situations here? ).

So it is both. From the Federation perspective, it has not been at war with the Romulans for 100 years, and, except for funding some outposts on the border, had no issues with them. From the Romulan perspective, it was war with the Federation, followed by what sounds like a civil war, followed by a society gearing up for a renewed war with the Federation, thus 100 years of war.

It is later established in TNG, and the movies that the Romulans, much like the Cardassians in DS9, were not always the "bad guy" military and evil race, but were corrupted by resource shortages which required them to oppress other races and their own kind to survive.

As putrid as STD is, as fan serving meaninglessness as the cartoons are, and as fan serving and preachy as Picard is, this show is nearly perfect. This is what ST is supposed to be.

More please.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
As putrid as STD is, as fan serving meaninglessness as the cartoons are, and as fan serving and preachy as Picard is, this show is nearly perfect. This is what ST is supposed to be.

More please.
Despite your verbose reviews and recollections, I agree. You just need to keep it simple, ....!

REALLY enjoyed this episode! The entire redo of the "Balance of Terror" TOS episode (with same dialogue in places) and the alternate future reality twists - the writers, producers and actors did their homework this time and hit it out of the park. I'm sad about Una, and the fact that Pike was informed about it in the future (by Spock) and then saw it happen had to be quite a gut-punch. I'm sure there will be an episode about this next season.

Re: JTK casting. I'm ok with it. It's not perfect, but I can live with it.

My question (minor): When the future Pike showed up, he went over to a table and leaned over to pick up something. On his slacks, where the red piping goes up the seam, there was some kind of red lighting going up the pant-leg. Was that some kind of weird reflection or was there something there? Did anyone else notice it?

Really want more than 10 episodes/season of this series... As SamCdbs said, this is what Trek is supposed to be.

Reactions: rockymtnhigh
REALLY enjoyed this episode! The entire redo of the "Balance of Terror" TOS episode (with same dialogue in places) and the alternate future reality twists - the writers, producers and actors did their homework this time and hit it out of the park. I'm sad about Una, and the fact that Pike was informed about it in the future (by Spock) and then saw it happen had to be quite a gut-punch. I'm sure there will be an episode about this next season.

Re: JTK casting. I'm ok with it. It's not perfect, but I can live with it.

My question (minor): When the future Pike showed up, he went over to a table and leaned over to pick up something. On his slacks, where the red piping goes up the seam, there was some kind of red lighting going up the pant-leg. Was that some kind of weird reflection or was there something there? Did anyone else notice it?

Really want more than 10 episodes/season of this series... As SamCdbs said, this is what Trek is supposed to be.
Definitely watch Ready Room. It includes side by sides of dialogue. So cool.

I didn’t notice the pant leg, but will look on my second time through…

Definitely watch Ready Room. It includes side by sides of dialogue. So cool.

I didn’t notice the pant leg, but will look on my second time through…
I'm going to try to watch the Ready Room today, later this afternoon, thanks for the recommendation! If I get a chance, I'll rewatch the the 2-Pike scene to see if there was red lights in the pants leg.

I disagree with that. Pike seems to be resigned to his fate, and those of the cadets as well. The only thing resembling a cliff hanger was the arrest of Una. I don't think she had a hand in her own genetic engineering.
Una getting arrested was what I meant by cliff hanger. You will have to tune in next year to see what happens. Lost in Space used to do that at the end of their episodes in the first and second seasons. By third season they stopped.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm going to try to watch the Ready Room today, later this afternoon, thanks for the recommendation! If I get a chance, I'll rewatch the the 2-Pike scene to see if there was red lights in the pants leg.
To be honest this show uses a lot of red in all their sets. It could of been the reflection from the fireplace Pike has in his quarters.

To be honest this show uses a lot of red in all their sets. It could of been the reflection from the fireplace Pike has in his quarters.
Actually it was a reflection of the black, somewhat shiny piping that runs up the side of his pants.

Actually it was a reflection of the black, somewhat shiny piping that runs up the side of his pants.
Makes sense... Really had a sequenced LED look to it though. I hope to take another look at it tonight...

edit: Saw it and yep, it's a reflection from the fireplace alright. Looks really cool though.

Also watched the Ready Room episode for this one - the usage of dialogue from "Balance of Terror" and the shot blocking and use of lighting was really a nice touch!

Last edited: