StarChoice Freebie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeepDishPie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hey All...

A friend of mine gave me an old tenants StarChoice Dish with an LNB. Woohoo - I think.

It does not come with a receiver but I figure I could get a ForTec or Coolsat and maybe get something on this dish???

The dish itself is 25.5 inches wide by 27.5 inches high and appears to have 2 outputs on the LNBF. It has a nice sturdy arm for the LNB too, but no motor.

Is there anything I can do with this dish?

It is sitting on the floor in front of me right now, taunting me to make it do something.... :)

Help me out guys and girls...

Darn it...

I've been doing some research on this dish and it seems to be only for PayTV... :mad:

Could a FTA LNBF be installed on it?
Is it worth it?

:( :( :( :( :(

I'm sure it could. Just tell the guys it can't, and see the sparks fly! ;)
Do you have a picture.?.
Sounded a bit small for FTA... but something good to get you rolling.

Sorry no picture right now. Its higher than it is wider though.

I am going to order a complete FTA system in the future but this was free so I thought I should take it. :D

Cheers
DDP

The SC LNB will work for FTA. StarChoice is linear.

The LNB is a dual so it would work for one satellite. The dish is a tad smaller than the normal 30" dishes we use. You could use it for one satellite and get the strong transponders, but don't expect to get a good signal on the weaker signals.

Think of a dish as a mirror. So with that in mind you can put what ever LNB you want on it as long as you can collect most of what is being reflected from it. I think you can put a DTV/Dish Network next to the one you have and get both types of sats.

Like Ice said it is a little small BUT it should work on some sats.

Have fun.

DeepDishPie said:
Hey All...

A friend of mine gave me an old tenants StarChoice Dish with an LNB. Woohoo - I think.

It does not come with a receiver but I figure I could get a ForTec or Coolsat and maybe get something on this dish???

The dish itself is 25.5 inches wide by 27.5 inches high and appears to have 2 outputs on the LNBF. It has a nice sturdy arm for the LNB too, but no motor.

Is there anything I can do with this dish?

It is sitting on the floor in front of me right now, taunting me to make it do something.... :)

Help me out guys and girls...

Iceberg said:
The SC LNB will work for FTA. StarChoice is linear.

The LNB is a dual so it would work for one satellite. The dish is a tad smaller than the normal 30" dishes we use. You could use it for one satellite and get the strong transponders, but don't expect to get a good signal on the weaker signals.

Would I need a Descq switch for it, to view both Horz and Vert feeds at the same time? When took it off the wall last night the previous owner had only one cable hooked to one of the LNBF outputs (Strange?) and it went straight through the wall to his living room.

Be nice to know what to look for this to get it running before I go and peruse the pawn shops and such.....

Cheers All

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts