Stargate SG-1 Discussion

The difference was that Showtime had stronger shows back then. Other than Weeds and The L Word, nothing has taken off. Brotherhood is getting good reviews, but it is another Huff that wins over the critics, but not enough eyeballs show up.

Anybody know anything about the comment in this CNN article:
"...spent its first five years on Showtime -- which annoyed the show's producers by demanding full-frontal nudity -- before migrating to Sci Fi...."

I've never heard of this, but I haven't watched much Stargate. Anyone here know anything about it? Nudity in Stargate? That's one way to improve ratings- or kill them.

But that same article also says: "...Producer MGM is exploring the possibility of taking the series to yet another outlet...."

So I doubt they'd make the season ender a series ender. Not while there's hope for selling future episodes, which would also boost syndication.

When will they release Atlantis Season 2 on DVD?? I finally watched season 1 last week and I am COMPLETELY hooked on that show now!! I've been recording season 2 on the 622 but I don't want to watch it until I watch season 2!

rockymtnhigh said:
Sucks for SG1, but 10 years is a LONG LONG run.

I am glad that Atlantis has been renewed. Its one of my favorites (and its not like my avatar does not suggest that! :) )

dfergie said:
Stargate SG-1 cancelled, Atlantis renewed
clear.gif

Monday - August 21, 2006 | by Darren Sumner
clear.gif

The future of Stargate is in question today, as SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running Stargate SG-1, Multichannel News reported today and a GateWorld source has confirmed. The news regrettably follows the airing of the show's milestone two-hundredth episode on Friday.

Stargate Atlantis, meanwhile, has been renewed for a fourth season, with the network hoping to see that the spin-off series can stand alone, according to a source.
Source Gateworld

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....!!! :mad: X's 100

navychop said:
Anybody know anything about the comment in this CNN article:
"...spent its first five years on Showtime -- which annoyed the show's producers by demanding full-frontal nudity -- before migrating to Sci Fi...."

I've never heard of this, but I haven't watched much Stargate. Anyone here know anything about it? Nudity in Stargate? That's one way to improve ratings- or kill them.
I believe the only nudity was in the first episode where Sha're was paraded in front of Apophus. There was first a sergeant from the SGC that was kidnapped, but she was never shown from the front or from the waist down. Only her bare back. This was in the Showtime version that Sha're was then paraded around nude briefly. In later versions that showed on SciFi or in syndication, the scene was cut after the sergeant was killed and Sha're was never shown nude.

Here is a series of stills from the original version: http://www.famosas.biz/vaitiare/

Fgsilva said:
When will they release Atlantis Season 2 on DVD?? I finally watched season 1 last week and I am COMPLETELY hooked on that show now!! I've been recording season 2 on the 622 but I don't want to watch it until I watch season 2!

I have been waiting for season 2 to come to dvd as well; the first season on dvd was very well done.

But the episodes now on Sci Fi are from season 3, not season 2. It is in some syndication too - the Denver FOX (I think) shows old Atlantis episodes on Sunday afternoons.

Your best bet, if you can't wait, is to start downloading divx versions and watching them on either a divx dvd player or your computer. Not quite as good, but it works.

I love SG-1. How about merge with SG-A for a two hour show every Friday. auhh... Fire the General. Never liked JB. Keep the show. oops, I meant BB

Last edited:
That would be BB not JB. ;)

There might be a partial merger - move Black and maybe Browder to SG-A, with may the occasional special guest appearance of some of the other SG-1 cast, but that'll probably be about it...

I kinda just wish Sci Fi would change their mind about cancelling SG1.

It's time for Universal HD to have some of there own original programming. Maybe they should pick it up. Now, I'm doing some Sci-Fi dreaming. How about HD Net, "can you hear me now". Wishful thinking for sure.

Al

voomvoom said:
... How about HD Net, "can you hear me now". Wishful thinking for sure.

Al

I wonder if HD Net has its own kind of internal sci-fi quota; they are picking up Enterprise; they do Odyssey 5; and they still run Jake 2.0. Since they try to carry a large variety of stuff, I wonder how much more Sci Fi they would do. They also seem to be trying to mimick Spike with their UFC-like fights and stuff on Friday nights.

But since Odyssey 5's run is just about over, maybe they'll push that to early mornings (like they do for Jake 2.0) and open up a slot for something. Of course, that slot is probably for Enterprise, but you can't stop dreaming of the possibilities.... :)

EDIT: I also forgot Smallville; which kind of fits into the same category!

Mark Cuban is trying to attract the male 25-50 demographic where all of these shows fit in nicely.

Unless he is trying to get women, interested in the new swimsuit lines coming out, to watch Bikini Destinations.

Odyssey 5 was a failed series that lasted one season. It's time for it to go away now. How many times can you watch the same dozen or so episodes?

That being said, HDNet will never pickup 1st run SciFi shows. The economics just don't work yet, unless they could partner with an SD channel to shoulder the cost (like the Arrested Development and Smallville deals which have two channels, one for SD one for HD). The reason you get these cancelled shows that only ran a season or two is due to the fact they are extremely cheap. If a show runs 5 seasons or more, it is easier to syndicate.

KDVR (Denver Fox) is showing Atlantis right now on their HD feed; its still in 4:3 letterbox; so its just an upconvert, BUT when I use the * button on my 622 remote, and use Partial Zoom, its a decent widescreen image, and the PQ is great compared to SciFi. Sound is just DD2.0, but its not bad!

I've seen this episode (Letters from Pegasus), but its fun to watch anyway!

dfergie said:
Yeah my "local" (cough, cough) fox KASA had them on earlier, I found season one online in divx HD and started watching yesterday...

I own Season 1 (which this episode is from) on DVD; but they are always fun to watch again.