Starz losing subs battle with Ergen looms

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You're clearly drinking tainted Kool Aide.

DISH does Starz insert ads in several channels I watch.

It is also listed, albeit at the bottom, along with HBO, Max and Showtime on their Premium Packages page on the DISH website.

The junk mail flyers list Starz.

I'm not sure what more anyone could expect.
It's not part of the New customer promos. And hasn't been for quite sometime now.

I'd rather pay $20-30 for an expanded Netflix back catalog than pay for all of these "premium" movie channels, simply based on the fact that with Netflix I can watch when I want. Appointment TV has left movies behind
Netflix's online offering seems pretty poor as a replacement for a classic video store.

Netflix's online offering seems pretty poor as a replacement for a classic video store.
Netflix, I agree seriously needs a better library of movies, But you do get quite a bit of other programming.

IMO netflix is a Better Value then spending $6 on encore, and another $14 on Starz.

But Starz, Encore, The Movie Channel, and Cinemax are even worse replacements for a classic video store.

We're at the tipping point, and those aforementioned movie channels with little to no original programming are first on the hit list. Netflix and Epix will continue to expand their back catalog library, possibly with tiers (pay more, get more) and you'll be able to watch anything on demand that is over a couple of years old. It's silly to waste broadcast bandwidth on the same 10 movies over and over on a monthly rotating schedule. Back catalog movies should be on demand, and broadcast linear bandwidth should be saved for video that is being consumed by large numbers of people (sports, news, first runs of blockbusters, etc)

At least for those with Hoppers(can't recall for those without), I don't understand why people would pay anything for Starz when it's all available on demand through the receiver anyway.

At least for those with Hoppers(can't recall for those without), I don't understand why people would pay anything for Starz when it's all available on demand through the receiver anyway.
It's not OnDemand unless you subscribe to the Proper package.
I believe Dish Movie pack.

Reactions: TheKrell
Not sure if Starz and DISH have reached a deal, but I am told as of tomorrow the DISH Movie Pack will replace Starz Cincema with Starz Kids and Family.

Last edited:
Reactions: fhsucade07
I wonder if it will be in Hd on the Movie Pack (Starz kids and Family). I know someone who is probably going to ask that very question...:clapping:clapping

Reactions: fhsucade07
As long as we keep getting access to starz on demand with the movie pack, i dont care which channel is included. Black sails starts in January and i havent paid more then $5 a month for it in the first 2 seasons. If they would just release the entire season on demand at the same time like netflix does. In fact they just did that for davincis demons.

Reactions: Troch77
The premium movie channels are a great deal when you consider how much it would cost to watch them PPV. But you say the same thing about cost of Netflix (or equivalent) compared to the premium movie channels and then you add the fact that Netflix (etc) is on-demand... I think people are jumping from premium movie channels to premium movie SERVICE.

The premium movie channels are a great deal when you consider how much it would cost to watch them PPV. But you say the same thing about cost of Netflix (or equivalent) compared to the premium movie channels and then you add the fact that Netflix (etc) is on-demand... I think people are jumping from premium movie channels to premium movie SERVICE.

It would be a great deal vs. PPV if they were showing the same movies as PPV. But since they're running older movies, it's more akin to Netflix, and Netflix is cheaper. Yeah, Netflix's window is even older than premium movie channels, but for most people that doesn't matter. If they didn't watch it on PPV or in the theaters, they'll just wait.

The premiums, especially Starz, Encore, and Cinemax, need to get moving QUICK on improving their on-demand experiences, and get apps out there. They can occupy the same spot in the app world that they did in the linear world, but that window will close, especially since in the app world there is no limit to how many movies you can have in any given month.

I wonder if it will be in Hd on the Movie Pack (Starz kids and Family). I know someone who is probably going to ask that very question...:clapping:clapping
very good question to ask also.starz kids and family,starz cinema is the only two starz channels that are not in hd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)