Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

I called on 2/11. The customer service rep (for existing customers) AND her supervisor never heard of the issue.

I managed to get transferred to tech support--they knew the issue. I was on the phone almost an hour. The bottom line--although they were hoping that a promo would be issued "soon", right now it would cost me $95.

OK, I am 9 year customer with Dish. I have every movie and HD package, the superstations, the regional sports channels, my locals, the Center Ice package, and I even subscribe to the monthly print program guide. And I'm supposed to pay THEM $95 to unscrew-up their lame satellite set-up?!?!

Riiiiiight....

I told them I would call back Sunday. If they can't come up with a promo by then, they can come and get their GD equipment and I will be signing up with U-Verse. I left cable 9 years ago over such sh***y treatment; I'll have no problem leaving Dish now.

Maybe you should try the online chat?
There have been many posts here of online chats that were very successful and some of those upgrades didn't cost anything.

Don't quite agree with you. When Dish went from the Dish 300 system to the Dish 500 system 10 years ago the upgrade was for free. When Dish put some of my locals on 61.5 rather than 119 or 110 it was for free. No questions asked it was their policy.

Ron

Just because you get free stuff once in a while, as I have, too, doesn't mean that's always the case. With the Locals situation, I think they have to make sure you get them under the law. Let's say they were to send me a free dish & told me I'd have to install it to get the new HD channels, which I'm sure would make some people out there happy :), I'd still gladly pay the $15 to have a tech come here and install it right.

Installer just called- be here soon. right now 61.5/110/119--- 129 would seem to an issue with my sight lines- assuming 1000.4- but who knows- tech chat said new dish but not more specific, He did say for FREE tho.

Just concluded a chat with Tech Support. Was told that Burlington Vermont is on the western arc, that an eastern arc solution is not available, and that a western arc solution would mean losing some current channels. The rep also commented that many more changes were coming at an unspecified time. Does this all sound right?

Seeing that VT is in New England, as in the Northeast, I don't know why it would be in the Western Arc and not the Eastern Arc, like me here in MA; but God only knows how they have those satellites set-up. ;)

I called on 2/11. The customer service rep (for existing customers) AND her supervisor never heard of the issue.

I managed to get transferred to tech support--they knew the issue. I was on the phone almost an hour. The bottom line--although they were hoping that a promo would be issued "soon", right now it would cost me $95.

OK, I am 9 year customer with Dish. I have every movie and HD package, the superstations, the regional sports channels, my locals, the Center Ice package, and I even subscribe to the monthly print program guide. And I'm supposed to pay THEM $95 to unscrew-up their lame satellite set-up?!?!

Riiiiiight....

I told them I would call back Sunday. If they can't come up with a promo by then, they can come and get their GD equipment and I will be signing up with U-Verse. I left cable 9 years ago over such sh***y treatment; I'll have no problem leaving Dish now.

You may want to call again. I have a feeling that Dish Network has gauged the amount of displeasure this has caused. They are waving fees.

The $15 service fee and the $200 receiver upgrade fee have both been waived for my switch to the EA. The fees were not really waived but credits were applied to my account.

Seeing that VT is in New England, as in the Northeast, I don't know why it would be in the Western Arc and not the Eastern Arc, like me here in MA; but God only knows how they have those satellites set-up. ;)
Well I'm in St Albans( north of burlington just shy of canadian border) and installer should be here by 1:00- I'll let you know

That's curious, as it seems to contradict what others have posted. As long as you don't need to upgrade your receivers (which would mean they'd want to charge you $99+) you shouldn't need to commit. I know, like you, that I would never sign another agreement with Dish for something like this.

Thing is, I think we would need to upgrade receivers. We have a 722, 322, and 311. 129 is too low to get from here and the MPEG-2 receivers won't work on EA.

But that's not my fault and I don't think I should be paying for "upgrades" that are necessary to give me the channels that I pay for. It was not I who chose the messed up satellite configurations that they use.

I'd be fine with $15, but they told me if I don't want to sign a new contract I have to pay full price for new receivers (almost $200 when it's all said and done). That's ludicrous.

Thing is, I think we would need to upgrade receivers. We have a 722, 322, and 311. 129 is too low to get from here and the MPEG-2 receivers won't work on EA.

But that's not my fault and I don't think I should be paying for "upgrades" that are necessary to give me the channels that I pay for. It was not I who chose the messed up satellite configurations that they use.

I'd be fine with $15, but they told me if I don't want to sign a new contract I have to pay full price for new receivers (almost $200 when it's all said and done). That's ludicrous.

Oh, OK, I see, it's a receiver upgrade. That's still a bit odd as I thought others posted they needed to pay $99 and sign a contract; it seems Dish is giving you a "break" (I understand you are upset about it, don't blame you, just trying to make a point) by dropping the additional charge.

Here in Vt and installer can't or wont do it- wants to put in 129 but says dish is bigger and not easy place to mount and thinks trees will be problem. Knows next to nothing about 72.7 but thinks line of sight problems there too. Roof is to steep for him and stil thinks i'll have trouble with trees. No wonder they would do it for free. Time to chat with Dish.

I just got off the phone after about thirty minutes. They are set to upgrade me on Monday (Presidents' Day) for a $15 fee. I currently have a Dish 500 at 110/119 and a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. We have three VIP receivers, two 622's and a 722 and one MPEG2 525 receiver. I don't want to replace the 525 at the moment, because I am due for an upgrade and was waiting for the 922 to be released. Must I go to Eastern Arc now to get the new channels or could we simply replace the Dish 300 with a new dish that gets 61.5 and 72.7 or could I add a third dish at 72.7 so my 525 continues to work? If they upgrade my 525 now to a VIP receiver because of this, will I have to wait another year before I could upgrade to the 922 at a discounted price? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank goodness for Scott and SatelliteGuys!

Here in Vt and installer can't or wont do it- wants to put in 129 but says dish is bigger and not easy place to mount and thinks trees will be problem. Knows next to nothing about 72.7 but thinks line of sight problems there too. Roof is to steep for him and stil thinks i'll have trouble with trees. No wonder they would do it for free. Time to chat with Dish.
In chat now
local installer office just called -told them not happy and was in chat with dish

Last edited:
Dish tech just left my house, he switched me over to EA from 110/119/61.5. removed the 2 old dishes.

He told me he just learned about the new HD channels yesterday

There was no charge for the service call

I just got off the phone after about thirty minutes. They are set to upgrade me on Monday (Presidents' Day) for a $15 fee. I currently have a Dish 500 at 110/119 and a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. We have three VIP receivers, two 622's and a 722 and one MPEG2 525 receiver. I don't want to replace the 525 at the moment, because I am due for an upgrade and was waiting for the 922 to be released. Must I go to Eastern Arc now to get the new channels or could we simply replace the Dish 300 with a new dish that gets 61.5 and 72.7 or could I add a third dish at 72.7 so my 525 continues to work? If they upgrade my 525 now to a VIP receiver because of this, will I have to wait another year before I could upgrade to the 922 at a discounted price? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank goodness for Scott and SatelliteGuys!

You may already know this, but in theory you could replace the 110/119 with a 1000.2 (110/119/129) and keep your 525, if you can see 129. I haven't heard of a one-off setup that allows you to get the new channels with non-VIP receivers and no 129, but if any group can help you it's the experts on this site. Good luck.

You may already know this, but in theory you could replace the 110/119 with a 1000.2 (110/119/129) and keep your 525, if you can see 129. I haven't heard of a one-off setup that allows you to get the new channels with non-VIP receivers and no 129, but if any group can help you it's the experts on this site. Good luck.

Thanks! How hard is it for us on the East coast to get 129? I get 119 without a problem, so hopefully this would be the best solution for me.

Thanks! How hard is it for us on the East coast to get 129? I get 119 without a problem, so hopefully this would be the best solution for me.

DVDDAD,

129's footprint puts plenty of signal to the ground, the problem will be getting LOS to the satellite. My location is Rochester, NY. My signal strength from 129 (using a Dish 500 with "I" adapter) is almost exactly the same as from 119/110/61.5. My Elevation angle on the Dish 500 Antenna pointed at 129 is only 18 degrees though. The apparent angle of the Dish 500's Reflector Pan pointed at 129 looks to be pointing slightly below the horizon.

Remember all DBS Dishes are offset about 20-22 degrees. This means the signal is coming in 20-22 Degrees higher than the apparent angle of the Dishes Reflector Pan perpendicular to the Ground. This is the reason some Dishes that look like they are aimed at Trees get a signal lock with no problem.

If you have an Iphone or a Android Phone there is an app that will be able to determine if you have Line of Sight from your proposed mounting Location, (very simple to use). You will use the camera on the phone with the app and you enter the satellite you wish to "HIT" and you will be shown a Red Dot overlaying the camera image on the phone's screen.

Click out this link Augmented Reality App – the Next Generation Satellite Finder | DishPointer.com

John