Statement from DISH - Not Getting the New HD?

Didn't even know

I just called in to cancel dish and the rep didn't even know about the new satellite move and kept insisting Dish would never make me pay for having a new dish installed for changes they made. For some reason I couldn't find the special number that was listed when this was first posted. She also checked with her supervisor (she said) and that supervisor didn't know anything about it either.

Does anybody at Dish communicate?

Yeesh...

Last edited:
I just called in to cancel dish and the rep didn't even know about the new satellite move and kept insisting Dish would never make me pay for having a new dish installed for changes they made. For some reason I couldn't find the special number that was listed when this was first posted. She also checked with her supervisor (she said) and that supervisor didn't know anything about it either.

Yeesh...

Did you proceed with the cancellation or did you lockdown that free upgrade? :D

I'm in Buffalo and I am not receiving the new HD channels but I would like to do so.

I have two satellites right now pointed at 119, 110 and 61.5. In four years, I never lost the signal. I hear people lose the signal in snowstorms but luckily that's never been an issue for me.

I want to call Dish to get these new HD channels but I'm not sure what setup I should ask for. I definitely don't want to add any more dishes and want to make sure the signals strength will be good.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

I'm in Buffalo and I am not receiving the new HD channels but I would like to do so.

I have two satellites right now pointed at 119, 110 and 61.5. In four years, I never lost the signal. I hear people lose the signal in snowstorms but luckily that's never been an issue for me.

I want to call Dish to get these new HD channels but I'm not sure what setup I should ask for. I definitely don't want to add any more dishes and want to make sure the signals strength will be good.

I'm pretty sure that they can give you the 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish-one dish for 61.5/72.7/77. I haven't been upset with the reception, signal strength here has been fine.

Good luck.

Do you know if you have LOS to 129? They just replaced one of my dish 500s with the 1000.2 to receive the 110/119/129. They left my 61.5 dish. It was done on 2/28 and so far I have no complaints. The guy was really nice and knew what he was doing. He did not let the dish rep off the phone until everything was being received.

I was set up with a 1000.4 in place of my 61.5 dish and they left my 110/119 dish in place. They didn't connect 77 on the 1000.4 and ran everything to a DPP44 switch. It works well for me. Plus the tech mentioned that since a number of channels are duplicated on both dishes it actually provides some redundancy if one dish loses signal.

Of course, my locals are on 119. HD locals are on 61.5 but there are ongoing issues and we can't get them in my area, so I need to have 119.

Last edited:

Yeesh...

you went about it wrong. instead of educating them on what you want done. just call and say where are my channels? i am supposed to get so and so in hd and its not there. they will be able to figure it out from that point.

I just called Dish's tech support, told them that I can't receive the new HD channels and future HD channels because of what satellites I'm pointed at. He confirmed my current setup and has a tech coming out today to set me up with either the 1000.4 or 1000.2 depending on LOS.

The tech agent had to contact ERT to set it up and he said it's completely free. I didn't even ask him about the cost nor do I have a service plan.

Guess I lucked out. The agent definitely knew the issue well which I think helped. I barely did any talking outside of explaining that I can't get the new HD channels.

you went about it wrong. instead of educating them on what you want done. just call and say where are my channels? i am supposed to get so and so in hd and its not there. they will be able to figure it out from that point.

Exactly, you kind of have to politely coach them towards the answer...

I just called Dish's tech support, told them that I can't receive the new HD channels and future HD channels because of what satellites I'm pointed at. He confirmed my current setup and has a tech coming out today to set me up with either the 1000.4 or 1000.2 depending on LOS.

The tech agent had to contact ERT to set it up and he said it's completely free. I didn't even ask him about the cost nor do I have a service plan.

Guess I lucked out. The agent definitely knew the issue well which I think helped. I barely did any talking outside of explaining that I can't get the new HD channels.

So the tech comes all the way out to my house only to tell me they don't have 1000.2 or 1000.4 dishes yet and it will be at least a few weeks before they do. How can this be? Haven't those dishes been around for at least a year or so?

Anyone in Buffalo have these dishes? Pretty disappointed right now. Wanted to watch myself some FSC HD.

So the tech comes all the way out to my house only to tell me they don't have 1000.2 or 1000.4 dishes yet and it will be at least a few weeks before they do. How can this be? Haven't those dishes been around for at least a year or so?

Anyone in Buffalo have these dishes? Pretty disappointed right now. Wanted to watch myself some FSC HD.

Read my response to you above. Was it Intertech? My installer told me they do not have the 1000.4 because they are not supposed to do EA for us as a general rule. They did bring in some 1000.2 dishes (WA) when they heard about this change. Mine was done on 2/28. When they called to confirm my appointment I made sure they knew they needed to bring the 1000.2 or 1000.4.

Do you know if you have LOS to 129? They just replaced one of my dish 500s with the 1000.2 to receive the 110/119/129. They left my 61.5 dish. It was done on 2/28 and so far I have no complaints. The guy was really nice and knew what he was doing. He did not let the dish rep off the phone until everything was being received.
I'm pretty sure I'd have a good LOS on 129 but ideally, I'd love to go to a one Dish setup.

Read my response to you above. Was it Intertech? My installer told me they do not have the 1000.4 because they are not supposed to do EA for us as a general rule. They did bring in some 1000.2 dishes (WA) when they heard about this change. Mine was done on 2/28. When they called to confirm my appointment I made sure they knew they needed to bring the 1000.2 or 1000.4.
It was Intertech. I specifically asked about the 1000.2 as well and he said they don't have that either. He told me to call Intertech back in a few weeks. I feel like Intertech is always hit or miss. I think I'll call Dish back tomorrow and see what they say.

I called Dish Network yesterday and spoke to a CSR and told her that I am unable to get the new HD channels because they are on 129 and I am using 61.5. She put me on hold and came back and said that all of the HD channels are also available on 61.5. I told her that all except the new HD channels like Tru HD and E HD. She put me on hold again and came back and again said all of the HD channels are also on 61.5. So I asked her to please provide me with the channel number for both Tru HD and E HD on the 61.5 satellite so that I can watch them. She put me on hold again and came back and said we will send someone out to upgrade your dish for $15.00.

I was then transferred to the appointment center and again had to explain myself. Finally they asked me when I wanted someone to come out. I said the earliest appointment. They said how about tomorrow. I said fine, so they should be here in a few more hours to install the new dish. Right now I am pointed to 110, 118, 119, and a separate one at 61.5.

Cheers.

I called Dish Network yesterday and spoke to a CSR and told her that I am unable to get the new HD channels because they are on 129 and I am using 61.5. She put me on hold and came back and said that all of the HD channels are also available on 61.5. I told her that all except the new HD channels like Tru HD and E HD. She put me on hold again and came back and again said all of the HD channels are also on 61.5. So I asked her to please provide me with the channel number for both Tru HD and E HD on the 61.5 satellite so that I can watch them. She put me on hold again and came back and said we will send someone out to upgrade your dish for $15.00.

I was then transferred to the appointment center and again had to explain myself. Finally they asked me when I wanted someone to come out. I said the earliest appointment. They said how about tomorrow. I said fine, so they should be here in a few more hours to install the new dish. Right now I am pointed to 110, 118, 119, and a separate one at 61.5.

Cheers.

I'm guessing the $15 charge will also get you charged for the service plan at $6 per month. That's what is happening to others. If you don't already sub to the service plan and don't want it, you'd better check that you weren't enrolled without your knowledge by the CSR.

I'm pretty sure I'd have a good LOS on 129 but ideally, I'd love to go to a one Dish setup.

It was Intertech. I specifically asked about the 1000.2 as well and he said they don't have that either. He told me to call Intertech back in a few weeks. I feel like Intertech is always hit or miss. I think I'll call Dish back tomorrow and see what they say.

Your local hd channels are on 61.5 so if you went with the 110/119/129 single dish you would not get your locals in hd. Your sd channels are on 110. I set mine up through the chat and made sure I kept a copy because I specifically asked about no contract extension and how much it would cost me. It came in handy later when the charged me two $95 service calls :)

Funny the Intertech guy that did mine said they had brought 1000.2 dishes up from another office and they had not done that many changeovers in our area yet. Wonder if they had a lot of them between 2/28 and 3/10...... doubt it.
I would call dish again. I have been with dish a very long time.

SatelliteGAL - what's your signal reading on 129? I'm in Buffalo as well, and frustrated to no end - Dish is telling me I need a 1000.4 and EA, however they want me to pay to upgrade the receivers. Plus Intertech has no 1000.4's and says they can't do EA.

If I can go 110/119/129 with a wing at 61.5, that may be an option as well. I don't know how the receivers handle channels when both 129 and 61.5 are hooked up, but I believe it defaults to 129...don't know if it goes to 61.5 then if there's low signal on 129...

I don't want to rely on 129 if it's weak though because if they transfer a lot of channels off 61.5, I don't want to deal with reception issues.

I've sent numerous emails to the CEO address, no response. My next step is to call them. I'm hoping I can get them to upgrade to EA for free or $15 (that would be fair) but if I need to go WA that's fine if the signal is OK. I'm figuring I'll need a wing either way - at 110 if I go EA (even though Dish says this can't be done, I'll add it myself) or at 61.5 if I go WA.

They better get this worked out before they start moving channels though, or there's going to be a lot of angry people.

Cheers.

i would hate to be the installer coming to your house, yikes!. if your hd locals are on 61.5, adding the 129 dual to your 500+ wont cut it. you'll need a 1k4 AND 500+.

SatelliteGAL - what's your signal reading on 129? I'm in Buffalo as well, and frustrated to no end - Dish is telling me I need a 1000.4 and EA, however they want me to pay to upgrade the receivers. Plus Intertech has no 1000.4's and says they can't do EA.

If I can go 110/119/129 with a wing at 61.5, that may be an option as well. I don't know how the receivers handle channels when both 129 and 61.5 are hooked up, but I believe it defaults to 129...don't know if it goes to 61.5 then if there's low signal on 129...

I don't want to rely on 129 if it's weak though because if they transfer a lot of channels off 61.5, I don't want to deal with reception issues.

I've sent numerous emails to the CEO address, no response. My next step is to call them. I'm hoping I can get them to upgrade to EA for free or $15 (that would be fair) but if I need to go WA that's fine if the signal is OK. I'm figuring I'll need a wing either way - at 110 if I go EA (even though Dish says this can't be done, I'll add it myself) or at 61.5 if I go WA.

They better get this worked out before they start moving channels though, or there's going to be a lot of angry people.

I had not bothered to check transponders and etc specifically because were were having no issues and I was lazy :) I did it this evening so I could respond to your post. As you know it is raining but I don't know how much cloud cover is out there or if it has changed anything. I looked at the 129 channel listing to try to see which transponders would be used by us most and from what I can tell my signal strength is better than some of my 61.5 reading were. It appears the transponders that would matter are 18 and above. Starting with 18 my signal strengths run between 50 and 65. 14 through 17 run between 40 and 48... most of these are spotbeams. Below 14 are all spotbeams and are all over the place... I did not do more research to see which of these (if any) matter to us. I do know.... (knocking wood) we have had no problems. I have a clear LOS to 129.

Hmm, that's not bad at all. A 1000.2 with wing at 61.5 may do the trick then. I can manage a clear line of sight to 129.

I'm probably just not explaining it correctly. It is a tower consisting of three parallel poles all joined together by welded contigious cross-braces (I don't know the correct nomenclature). Here's a picture of an example I found on the net.
Galvanized%20tower%20sections.JPG

When it was professionally installed, the base was buried in concrete to meet tolerances negating the need for guy wires.

Bottom line, if you'll review my post, I said, "I wonder if they'd install there". I never suggested that I would insist they install there. If the issue comes up, I will simply ask and defer to the installer's judgement.

Additionally, I would never even consider asking them to install it at the top of the 50' tower. I'm no professional, but I would imagine the potential for sway at that height would not allow for signal lock on windy days, especially since the dish has more potential to catch wind than my antenna elements. If, and I mean if, it is installed on the tower, it would only be feasible at about the half-way mark.
Ahh ok.. This is precisely the type of tower I was refering to. I have installed two jobs on towers just like this.
One I leaned my ladder on. The other I used the ladder to get up then had to climb up a bit.
The homeowner had a pole climber's belt which he let me use. No problem working up there. He was very helpful.
Hammys are usually very handy guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)