Static electricity

tibbyjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 13, 2003
Has anyone lost their hopper to static electricity ?
I was trying to get a EHD to format and after 3 hours of not finishing the format I was going to unplug the EHD and as soon as I touched the case of the hard drive I got zapped , the picture blacked out and wouldn't come back on , so I did 5 red button resets and after that didn't work I pulled the plug 5 times and each time it would go to start up screen and then go blank. Called customer service and all they had me do was unplug from surge protector to a regular receptacle , got a replacement coming . Now comes the interesting part , 2 hours later I noticed the hopper was recording but still no picture , went to other hopper and could see that the bad hopper was recording a show that was scheduled ,so then I ran some composite cables from bad hopper to tv and now we have a picture on composite cable but still no picture on hdmi cable ,so I reboot again and now I have picture over hdmi and hopper seems to be back to normal . Now that I have the replacement hopper coming I thought it would be a good idea to make sure the remote was backed up so I could transfer my settings to new hopper , but every time I try to back up the remote up it fails.

I've gotten a few static zaps without causing a problem but static electricity is less predictable than ..... whatever.

Sounds like the replacement is needed. Hopefully the automatic backup in your remote is recent enough to be of use.

When you were trying to format the ehd, did you have another one already attached to the Hopper? I had the same problem till I only attached the new ehd. Then it only took a few minutes.

When you were trying to format the ehd, did you have another one already attached to the Hopper? I had the same problem till I only attached the new ehd. Then it only took a few minutes.
Yes I did , I'll try with just the new ehd by itself .
Thanks

Hoppers back up to the remote about once a week on their own. You should be OK.

Your right , I've got 2 remotes on this hopper and I was trying to backup to remote# 1 ,so I tried # 2 and it worked.

The time I tried the remote restore I had backed up to 2 remotes, original and the HwS replacement, thanks Dish.
The first messed up or rather I did, but the second came through. A backup for the backup.
-Ken

Got the replacement going last night and I know it takes a couple days for everything to work , but its still at software version S057 and at this software I'm assuming the ota won't work because it's not doing anything when I plug in the ota module , plus in the system info it says (Available Joey Software None) . Should I call and get a rehit ?

Got the replacement going last night and I know it takes a couple days for everything to work , but its still at software version S057 and at this software I'm assuming the ota won't work because it's not doing anything when I plug in the ota module , plus in the system info it says (Available Joey Software None) . Should I call and get a rehit ?

When you power it up does the install wizard appear? If not, does it come up after a reboot? That is factory software and needs to update.

My second replacement, which I interrupted the s/w download at Dish's request, also had None in red letters for Available Joey SW. I'm concerned about the S/W version. I did activate 2 replacements and they both downloaded S425. I think it's time for a redo. If they don't offer next day air ask for it. I got it for both re-replacements.

BTW they have fixed the problems with long delays after activation. I activated one receiver at 6:30 PM and it recorded that night's PTAT. It also filled in the guide within an hour or 2.

Oops. I just noticed that my answer here was one which applied to another thread, but if you did replace your Hopper it applies, If not, please ignore.

Last edited:
I wouldn't replace it until you try a few things because this is most likely correctable. We just need some more details in order to know what you should try next.

I tried my replacement with the "None Joey s/w" for a week. It would slow down and completely freeze at least once a day. I finally called Dish and got another which is working well.

I'm sure you didn't have hopper sw s057. He is stuck on factory software, so the best thing to do is try to get it to update to the newest avail version before getting a replacement which will also be shipped with factory version.

I'm sure you didn't have hopper sw s057. He is stuck on factory software, so the best thing to do is try to get it to update to the newest avail version before getting a replacement which will also be shipped with factory version.

Step 3 of the install is S/W download. I thought that it was being done there. My Hopper that I returned didn't do this correctly and even though it ended up with S425 it still had problems as evidenced by the fact that the available joey sw had None in red letters and that it froze daily. I was with Dish ATS twice about this and they never mentioned reloading the S/W when they heard the symptoms. They just replaced the box.

Do you have a Joey and what software was on the Joey? Did it already have current software? What I'm saying is that we can probably help him get it working instead of waiting till Tuesday to get a replacement.

There really isn't a way to reload the sw... Well sort of. But the fact he doesn't have updated hopper software yet and is still stuck on factory software makes me think it can still be recovered without any issues.

That may be true but I would think that just unplugging it for 30 secs or so would restart the install process. If not it sounds like he's stuck between a rock etc unless there's a secret sequence that we don't know about. If that's true and we can get our hands on it it may be the key to getting updates on our own. :)

OP if you talk to Dish and they have you do some strange key sequences or power steps and it does do an update remember it and let us know.

Called India and what a joke that was ,after about 45 min I got her to send a rehit .
This thread should be merged with the( Hopper help no joey software thread ). Man I haven't posted this much in ten year on this site.

Last edited:
Finally got an American csr and he was going to escalate to engineering and they would call me in 24 to 48 hrs , told him to forget it and reactivate my old hopper cause my grandson had to watch Batman tonight on Me-tv (it's our time together) , so there is no magic fix .
He said he checked and it wasn't a known issue and I asked him if he heard of dirt and he said yes ,so I told him to talk to Zach.
I also took the smart card out of old hopper and put it in new hopper , lo and behold it worked and had all my programming ,the csr said it might of been because of old software .

Called India and what a joke that was ,after about 45 min I got her to send a rehit .
This thread should be merged with the( Hopper help no joey software thread ). Man I haven't posted this much in ten year on this site.

Next time you have to call and get an out of country CSR that you can't understand or are having other problems with due to the language barrier, POLITELY request to speak with an AMERICAN. That's what I did--telling him I meant no disrespect to him and was speaking with a helpful AMERICAN CSR within seconds.

Ed

Next time you have to call and get an out of country CSR that you can't understand or are having other problems with due to the language barrier, POLITELY request to speak with an AMERICAN. That's what I did--telling him I meant no disrespect to him and was speaking with a helpful AMERICAN CSR within seconds.

It wasn't the language barrier , it was the advanced tech I talked to couldn't understand that the hopper was on factory software and needed to be updated and I'm really sure she couldn't understand batman.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts