STB woes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ferdy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2004
Broussard, LA USA
Has anyone experienced the following with their VOOM box:

While watching any given program, and not changing channels or otherwise fooling around with the box, the screen goes blank, the satellite icon on the box turns red, and the channel labels go berserk? Sometimes the channels become mislabeled (wrong channel number/program assigned to channel). Sometimes I can tune to the mislabeled channels, other times can't tune to anything on the satellite, get message "no signal", although the OTA channels may still be working. When checking system status during these anomolies, sat strength and power readings both go to zero. The ONLY fix is to do a system reset. Turning box on and off does no good, unplugging does no good, and rebooting with the 5 second power button press doesn't work either.

Anyone else experienced this? This happens every day or two to me-------- :(

When checking system status during these anomolies, sat strength and power readings both go to zero.
I trust you do not have any obstructions (i.e. leaves growing on a tree) in your line of sight?

The behavior you report is typical of a poor installation where the dish was not correctly installed. If the dish is loose (not tightened down) or not stabilized, the wind could cause enough movement to drop your signal. Frequent losses of signal can cause other issues with STB operation.

Of course, it's always possible that the STB is defective. Either way, you need to call VOOM and schedule a service call (don't take off work for it), as this behavior is not normal.

I see a similar thing while changing channels about once per week. But rebooting the box by holding in the power button seems to correct the problem I am seeing. I have not found a reproducable pattern yet.

It's the STB. I've got the same problem. Checked my connections, etc. I can hard reboot(unplug it) and it will work for 5-10 mins., good signal 97, then the same thing. So don't feel alone. call Voom right away. It's gonna take them two weeks to make another appointment to install the new STB, and have a installer recheck it. Also ask for a credit on your bill.

It's not a signal or pointing/peaking problem----I know this because I have 2 boxes and the second box is unaffected/unchanged when this happens on the first box.

During clear weather, which it has always been during these occurances, I always have a 95-97 signal strength.

I suppose I must have a defective box----the only other thing that I can think of that's different from the second box is that the problem box is sitting on top of my audio receiver---I suppose it could be getting overheated by the audio receiver---does this sound like a plausible theory?

I may try swapping boxes around and see what happens----

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts