stil got a thunderbolt?

I still like my Thunderbolt. I don't follow the smart phone obsession as long as mine does everything I need and expect. That's been the case for 2 years now. I have no plans to upgrade. I just upgraded my wife's phone to an iphone5 and she has no complaints.

I really don't know what "ICS" will do for me but more concerned if it will destroy something I have now.

Would like to know what ICS will do and takes away.

I still like my Thunderbolt. I don't follow the smart phone obsession as long as mine does everything I need and expect. That's been the case for 2 years now. I have no plans to upgrade. I just upgraded my wife's phone to an iphone5 and she has no complaints.

I really don't know what "ICS" will do for me but more concerned if it will destroy something I have now.

Would like to know what ICS will do and takes away.
Have you tried Microsoft's Photosynth (free) on her Iphone. Lots of fun doing a full x y z 360 degree composite.. http://photosynth.net/about.aspx

Haven't tried that one but I have similar capability in other equipment to do 2D and 3D panoramas. Can't do 360° circle vision so that may be worth further investigation. Thanks.

if your rooted, never do an ota, flash yor own.

correct. in most cases it won't even update because you're on a non stock recovery. if you really want it ramy, then flash a rooted version of the update.

i beleive so, but ive never had an issue with leaving apps on the internal memory

It's also an antiquated concept on phones with 1/2gb of internal storage. The whole "apps 2 SD" thing came about from a very popular Android phone (so many years ago I can't recall the model) that had something in the 50-75mb of storage capacity.

I still like my Thunderbolt. I don't follow the smart phone obsession as long as mine does everything I need and expect. That's been the case for 2 years now. I have no plans to upgrade.
This will cause you grief then.... You likely won't be able to stop it. If it's like previous updates on VZW, it will prompt you and you can tell it no over and over, but eventually, it will prompt you while you're not around your phone and after a time setting (you know, you have 60 seconds or something to acknowledge), it will default to "yeah, go ahead and update !!".

Sweet. Wonder if it takes away my root though.
if your rooted, never do an ota, flash yor own.
correct. in most cases it won't even update because you're on a non stock recovery. if you really want it ramy, then flash a rooted version of the update.
Anyone running a rooted phone, even "rooted/stock", should have the OTA-update check option disabled manually. If you're running a custom ROM and get the OTA update notification, I'd suggest picking a ROM from a "dev" that knows what they're doing !

If your phone does take the update and you have a non-stock bootloader, that could present serious problems, i.e. bricking your device.

The update is rolling out and apparently includes a new HBOOT. Odds are it patches any known exploits but maybe it doesn't.... What I do know is that many rooted "newbies" will be unable to contain themselves and will flash this and then (potentially) find their phones un-rootable now.

Anyone running a rooted phone, even "rooted/stock", should have the OTA-update check option disabled manually. If you're running a custom ROM and get the OTA update notification, I'd suggest picking a ROM from a "dev" that knows what they're doing !

If your phone does take the update and you have a non-stock bootloader, that could present serious problems, i.e. bricking your device.

Where is that at?

just got it
it boots much faster now
i did have to call cs, for some reason i needed to remove and re-insert my sim card after it was all done

This will cause you grief then.... You likely won't be able to stop it. If it's like previous updates on VZW, it will prompt you and you can tell it no over and over, but eventually, it will prompt you while you're not around your phone and after a time setting (you know, you have 60 seconds or something to acknowledge), it will default to "yeah, go ahead and update !!".

Thanks. And what happens to those apps loaded on the SD card? I suppose they are just inaccessible? I do recall when the last update happened that worked like you said, they took my free hot spot capability away and later with family plan I got it back as included.

I just looked and I have Android ver 2.3.4. I guess that is Gingerbread. They pushed that to me with no warning in May 2012.

I know my Copilot is loaded on the SD card. I use that anytime I travel. It's my main GPS with installed maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)