Still recording repeats

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HeinrichVictory

Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
N.E. Tennessee
HR24. I have 'first run' selected on ALL shows but I still have to go into my 'to do list' and cancel recordings. "The Simpsons" and "Robot Chicken" are the biggest culprits (it wants to record EVERY
episode when theres not a conflict) but it happens for a few other
shows as well. What gives?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've seen this happen. Two of my HR-24's seems to do this. I use 3 for recording but only 2 seem to do it. Family Guy, NCIS, and a couple chick flicks the lady watches on MTV seem to always record randomly at night sometimes when we're sleeping. Only thing I can think of is there might be something to do with the guide and the "first run" dates on the shows.

I've noticed on my Simpsons first run only timer that repeats more than a week out have only generic episode info listed until about <5 days before airing. The receiver will record any episode that doesn't have a specific date for an episode. But in this case just waiting till they get closer to airdate gets the system to stop them on its own when the info is updated.

And I hope that the no date episodes never do get blocked because there have been times on some of my shows that those episodes happen to be new ones.

My HR-24 does this constantly with The Daily Show, always recording the first run @ 10pm, and then all the repeats during weekday mornings...
I do the same thing, and go into the to do list, and just delete the extras, kind of pain, yes.

You can go to menu-manage recordings-manual and set up a recurring manual recording for a certain time, day(s), start and stop times just like setting up a VCR.

First, there are some programs like the Daily Show where the channel uses exactly the same data for each showing on a single day, marking every one as first run, so the DVR does what it is told and records them. Comedy Central is notorious for doing this. Setting up a recurring manual recording as suggested by joed32 is the only real way to solve this,, other than just deleting duplicate episodes after the event.
Second, for other programs the DVR is totally dependent on the guide data. Remember though that when you first set up a series link, the DVR will record the first episode even if it is a repeat, it uses that episode as the "foundation" for the series link.
rom that point on, the DVR should only record first run unless the guide data is screwed up. But as MikeFr posted, just because the episode is in the to-do list does not mean it will get recorded. Often the episodes don't have full info at first, so the DVR sets them to record. Later the guide gets full nfo, and if the episode is not first run it will not get recorded.
Some people spend hours "managing" their to-do lists. Unless you are trying to sort out conflicts it's not worth doing that. Just let the DVR do its thing. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have looked at the to-do list this year. The only time I have missed a new episode of anything is when the showing was pre-empted, and then when it was repeated the guide had not been updated and was showing that it was an old, repeat episode.

Thanks for the great explanation, guys. I kinda had a feeling it had something to do with the generic guide data. It's easier for me to just delete the extras after they record (or watch them as is the case with The League on F/X) than go through the To Do List every few days.

Another issue is with BBCA. It never wants to record new shows. I think it's because they air across the pond several months before they do here so the date is as is it's a repeat. And they don't air at the same time each week so a manual recording won't work. I just have to record Both and delete the repeats. Btw, my 7 year old TiVo never had this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I've noticed if you click info and click on more info and there's isn't a original air date listed then it records all of them. The one thing that I wish the HR24 would do that I miss about the VIP722 is if I'd cancel a show from recording the 722 would set a timer to record a repeat. Like Operation Repo. If I was watching something and already had tv2 recording If I would skip the time it would record the repeat at 1 am. Can the HR24 do that? If so how do you set it up cause it hasn't done it for me yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)