Stocked up on Green Chiles Today

I can't believe it, my local Safeway has Hatch chilies on sale! :up The fact that they even have them at all is amazing.

I believe it was a bushel and they were already roasted, I thought about a roadside guy that had a horse trailer setup full of chiles,(got some from him in the past) but had good luck last year with the ones I got at La Tienda a local grocery so went that route again... I might check & make sure I don't have some Ice ratholed in the bottom of the freezer that I can do without. (different compartment from where I usually keep the chiles) ;)

Central Market (a grocery store here in Texas) has their "Hatch Chile Festival" every year at the end of August. They setup a couple of roasters at each store and they sell tens of thousands of pounds. Unfortunately, they have only sold the green ones the last couple of years. I'm partial to the red hatch chiles.

I think they even have a contest (with themselves) to see if they can make more ridiculous items with the chiles than they did the year before. Of course, you can get burritos, tamales, queso and sausage...but they also make crazy stuff like Hatch Chile Sourdough, scones and mozzarella.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)