stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Please...for I have spotted the holy grail.... 1.8m Prodelin... :eek:

2011-08-12_14-04-04_887.jpg

Liked to have crashed the car turning around to go back to ask, demolition guys said they had to ask the boss if I could have it...I have to go back tomorrow to see, I offered 50 bucks for his time....we shall see.... :D

Reactions: ThisBUDs4U
Hoping you get it. Talk about the nick 'o time. Might as well also take the smaller one to the left.

Well it worked out pretty well. the operator had to end up pushing the wall down, as the dish wasn't on a NPRM, it was bolted to the wall. When the dust cleared, the only damage was to the rim of the dish, not affecting the parabolic shape at all. picking it up out of the rubble, he bent the elevation adjuster, and broke the mount sleeve off the mount of the dish. All can be fixed pretty easily, I think. LNB arms weren't bent at all. Feeds were intact, no damage.

Sorry no pics as it was coming down, I was too busy paying attention to him...LOL

Attachments

• Broken welds on Mount.JPG
    Broken welds on Mount.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 1.8 M dish.JPG
    1.8 M dish.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 524
  • Broken welds 2.JPG
    Broken welds 2.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 393
  • Dish Damage 3.JPG
    Dish Damage 3.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Dish Damage 2.JPG
    Dish Damage 2.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 353
  • Dish Damage 1.JPG
    Dish Damage 1.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 1.8m dish 2.JPG
    1.8m dish 2.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 394
...and, not 50 feet away...was another dish. 1.2m. Operator asked me if I wanted it, I told him 20 bucks more if he could get it down without tearing it up...down it came. This is an older dish, its real weathered on the back, fibers in the fiberglass are showing, but it looks ok otherwise.

I also included a pic of the arms and LNB's for both, as well as the twisted up metal that was left of the 1.8m dish wall mount.

Attachments

• 1.2 M dish.JPG
    1.2 M dish.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Arms and LNB's for both.JPG
    Arms and LNB's for both.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 1.2m Detail.JPG
    1.2m Detail.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 293
On the rim damage, some JB Webb on it will reinforce the dish, if you are concerned about it affecting the dish. Put on the inside side of the dish.

Did some work today, got the cracks patched with some Bondo for fiberglass, here's the 1.8 first. Still needs another coat of paint, but it looks better.

Prodelindamagerepair4.jpg

ProdelinDamageRepair3.jpg

ProdelindamageRepair2.jpg

ProdelinDamagerepair1.jpg

18ReadytoPaint.jpg

18painted.jpg

Now the 1.2.

I plan on putting it in the place of my primestar 1m while I find a mount to motorize the 1.8, so I needed an adapter to mate it to my sg-2100. So....

12adaptor1.jpg

12adaptor2.jpg

And here's a before and after painting on this dish:

12readytoPaint.jpg

12Painted.jpg

I like that 1.2m dish! - :up
Though, it's hard in a picture to make it look bad.
Still, the 'after' shot shows a nice paint job.

Did you shoot any on the backside?
I though you'd commented previously about the fiberglass shredding a little.

Like your DTV 'foot', too.
I've seen your previous incarnations of this design;
Am anxious to see what you come up with this time for an elevation tuning screw. ;)

This is a whole lot lighter than the original mount!
Still, let me put a bug in your ear.
I don't have any recommendation, but you might look at whether moving the foot up or down, would change the balance any, to make for a lighter load on the motor.
Your design would certainly make it easy to optimize, so let us know. :)

Great work, Stogie! That's what I had to do with the 1 meter Channel Master I rescued from that strip mall on Causeway a couple of years ago. The roofers, unfortunately, seem to like to throw these dishes off the roof onto the parking lot concrete :eek: ...

As for painting the back of the dish to encapsulate the shedding fiberglass, I used Krylon Fusion for that task.

Great work, Stogie! That's what I had to do with the 1 meter Channel Master I rescued from that strip mall on Causeway a couple of years ago. The roofers, unfortunately, seem to like to throw these dishes off the roof onto the parking lot concrete :eek: ...

As for painting the back of the dish to encapsulate the shedding fiberglass, I used Krylon Fusion for that task.

Man that is sooo cool! I think this kinda stuff is what make this hobby so fun! Great Job!!!

Thanks fellas. it drives ya nuts sometimes, but I do like a challenge.

I painted the second coat today, the 1.2 looks real good, the 1.8 had a lot of staining, and pressurewashing didnt remove it all, and its bleeding through the paint. Not much I can do about it now, but to an untrained eye it will look okay I think.

I wonder if that sealer/primer for housepaint would stop the stain from coming through the paint? Works great on wood anyway.
Nice work there, if that was all the damage he could do with that big ol Komatsu, lol.
Seeing that dish on the sawhorses gave me an idea about playing marbles for some reason!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts