Strange Cable Modem Issue

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
Well, I have a tech scheduled to come out since this issue hasn't been resolved - but it has been hard to get a Saturday date when I am available. For about a month, I've had my cable go out for hours at a time for no reason at all. I'm in an apartment complex with the cable box outside of my window coming direct in with brand new wiring inside. It splits once to go to the tv, cable box, and 2nd tv.

This all started happening the day I saw a cableivision tech outside of my complex on the way home and I had no service when I got inside, and then it suddenly cleared up. Now granted, it may just be a problem with water damage on equipment outside - but it is pretty weird because my tv works fine but the cable & optimum voice just got out for quite some time... and mostly its Fri / Sat Sun. This is what is strange. It works fine Mon-Thurs, then as soon as I get home on Friday is when the outages start. The lights start flashing as though it is powering up and it keeps doing that for 10minutes to 2 hours (no exaggeration). I tried swapping routers and even connecting my computer directly to it to try and eliminate possible issues on my end, but no luck.

I'll be dealing with this for at least another week until a tech can come out , so please, anyone have any ideas on what could cause this?

if your lock box with your tap is right outside your window, and you have all new cable wires, I can pretty much guarantee you your signal is too high...how many tvs in the apt?

problem solved.

There is a high signal coming in , but that wasn't causing a problem. They installed something onto the cable going to my cable modem to reduce the signal and when I looked at the signal quality screen on the IP address page for the box .... it was very good.

I ended up having them remove boost from my account because I found out that it runs on a different cable frequency and that frequency was getting interference causing similar issues. It's been 1 week since I did that and I have had NO problems.

problem's back -- it went away for like a week and since then I've been dropping packets like CRAZY. They just keep trying to do do ALL the same troubleshooting with me and its like a vicious circle. Trouble shoot, send tech, he cant do anything - back on the phone and they want to troubleshoot again and then send another tech.

Argggh!! I am really out of ideas and would switch services if my apartment allowed it. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)