Strange Diseqc switching problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I seem to have developed a strange switching problem that I have not been able to sort out. It goes like this, I turn my Pansat 3500 SD on and select a satellite, if I start with 97W it comes in then if I change satellites the others come in fine then if I go back to 97W there is no signal. First I thought it might be a bad spot on the Diseqc switch so as a test I moved the coax that goes to 97W and put it on a different connector (moved from switch position 4 to 1) Position one had been working fine. I then made the change from the satellite receiver to reflect the change and now it does the same thing as before. Ok, so I think it must be something other then the switch so I replace the LNB, same problem. Now I replace the coax and the problem continues. I'm running out of ideas. Anybody have any? Thanks, DC

About this time, I'd change a connector. So many of my problems have come from intermittent connectors/outside switches , that I've I've become defensive when these "don't make sense" problems arrive. I'd look at physical connections first, now. :)

In my experience with problems along that line the 4x1 switch was fried. A new switch cured all the problems

About this time, I'd change a connector. So many of my problems have come from intermittent connectors/outside switches , that I've I've become defensive when these "don't make sense" problems arrive. I'd look at physical connections first, now. :)

Hi Brentb, most of the connectors were replace and taken out of the circuit when I patched in the test coax cable - it had new connectors on it. I did find some rust and corrosion in the grounding block but I by passed it for the tests. The only remaining cable and connectors lie between the receiver and the switch but since it works fine on three other dishes I don't think it's bad. I might have an extra Diseqc switch and if I can find it I will try it. About the only remaining thing I can think of is there might be something wrong with the stored info for the 97W satellite on the receiver. I might have to try deleting the satellite and rescan. I will post a follow up if I figure it out, DC

"About the only remaining thing I can think of is there might be something wrong with the stored info for the 97W satellite on the receiver." Unlikely, but worth a try . :) I've been down strange roads myself, but they generally ended up with corroded connectors, or switch ports, and occasionally in the old days of little receiver memory, too many tp's and sats . Restoring factory defaults is always an option. Lot's of fun, that !! :) Good luck and keep us informed.

Solved - .1 makes a difference DOH!

Hi all, looks like I got my strange switching problem sorted out. Somehow satellite 97W had Diseqc 1.1 position 4 saved on the receiver while the other 3 that were working fine had Diseqc 1.0. I did not figure it out until I replaced the switch and the new one had all the connectors on different switch numbers so I had to edit the entries for each satellite. That's when I noticed the 1.1 verses 1.0 issue DOH! As soon as I changed 97W to Diseqc 1.0 it started to work fine. I did not confirm but most likely the old switch was ok. Glad to get it sorted out but now I feel dumb! Thanks, DC

Feeling dumb isn't so bad, makes you think about your system more analytically ! :) The other day, I had unplugged the power cube for my cband powered switch, and forgot to plug it back in. I spent awhile wondering what the heck was going on ! :) The powered switch is new to me, so it wasn't part of my CORE logic ( whatever that is ) . Good to be working again, isn't it? Congrats !

Status
Please reply by conversation.