What is the best RG6 compression tool available on the market?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Who makes the best RG6 compression tool available on the market in 2011?

I use a Radio Shack brand Compression tool. Works good for me. I think they have more expensive models if you want to spend a lot of $$.

don't know if it's the best on the market, but I endorse the JVI 10-cct21 compression connector tool. Lasted hundreds of crimps that I've needed it to do and still going strong - only about $15-20 so won't kill you in the pocketbook either.

The "Shark" I got mine a Home Depot - less that $18.00 if I remember correctly. More importantly - do not cut cost on connectors. Get the bestr you can afford.

I have a Ideal (Industries not the toy company!) OmniSeal PRO 30-693 in my toolbox.
It is high quality American made and when I loan it out it comes back in working order.
I do worry about someone borrowing it and not bringing it back! There is a newer
model 30-793 that will also do BNC connectors by using another set of plates in the tool
instead of readjusting the one like my tool has. I got it before the big price jump at
Lowes and they gave me a $10 off coupon on my next purchase. I went to the other
Lowes and bought it cheaper and returned the original tool. On Ebay they can be found
new or used at a affordable price. It works great on other than Ideal brand connectors
too! I paid like $29 with the coupon and the list price is around $79 now!!! :eek:

> More importantly - do not cut cost on connectors. Get the bestr you can afford.

What would you recommend for connectors. I want to do this right the first and not have to revisit. Especially considering I am burying everything in the ground.

I got mine at Lowes Building supply too, like Dishman Dan. I don't know the model# of it, its not close to me at the moment to check, but it has blue handles, haha. And it works very well, one of the few tools I ever bought that I haven't managed to break or bend.
That's good info about the BNC connectors too, have to see if the one I have can be changed to do those.

> More importantly - do not cut cost on connectors. Get the bestr you can afford.

What would you recommend for connectors. I want to do this right the first and not have to revisit. Especially considering I am burying everything in the ground.

Here's the ones I use, not a problem with them so far:
PPC EX6 EX6XL RG6 Compression Fittings
Your connectors won't be buried , I wouldn't think-so don't worry about that. Just wrap them up with coax-seal and they will last a long time.

The best tool is the one that matches the connectors you are using, which must match the cable you're using. If they all don't match it doesn't matter if they're "the best" or not. If they don't match you'll over crimp or under crimp the connector to the cable.

I have a Cable Pro tool for my BNC and RCA compression jobs. They are somewhat costly, but are highly recommended by my local cable guy ;) ...

For F fittings, I find the $15 tools sold by Lowes do just as good a job. They just won't do the special fittings (RG-11, BNC, RCA, etc.)...

Most of the compression tools will do a good job. The better ones will have adjustments for different lengths of connectors as well as many types of connectors. It might require changing inserts or plates. Some tools will adjust for RG-6 as well as RG-11 cables and connectors. I only have an inexpensive Philips compression tool (but have used the expensive tools as well) and it serves it purpose well. It was ony $12 where I purchased it, but it has performed well. The tool is pictured here.... not where I purchased it.
http://www.saveandreplay.com/install_tools.asp
It is not as rugged as some, but has worked with a variety of different brands of connectors. For connectors, I look for brands like Gilbert or Thomas & Betts. The plastic on the connectors is molded well and so far has stood up to the weather. I question the dollar store connectors if the plastic will hold up or be deteriated by the sun and weather.

I got mine at Lowes Building supply too, like Dishman Dan. I don't know the model# of it, its not close to me at the moment to check, but it has blue handles, haha. And it works very well, one of the few tools I ever bought that I haven't managed to break or bend.
That's good info about the BNC connectors too, have to see if the one I have can be changed to do those.

same one here....works great

as for connectors I use PPC EX6XL connectors. Buy them on EBay as they are real cheap there

Mine is, well, it is not marked. Must be OK, it works. It has different inserts and will adjust for different types of connectors. What really works great is the stripper I just picked up at Home Depot. It is a Klein tool. My old one was not worth 2 cents. 40 years ago when I built power lines everyone had Klein tools. If you did not, they looked at you funny. All thought they were the best back then.

Iceberg, think I will look for the connectors you mentioned. I haven't found one that I would call the best yet.

RT.

I've used the PPC ones for about 3-4 years now and they work great. Survive the cold MN winters just fine :)

I got the Shark and (matched)connectors all reasonably priced at Sadoun. I'll be set for a couple years anyway. Which reminds me, I have to get another 500' roll of RG6.

...Which reminds me, I have to get another 500' roll of RG6.

Check Ebay for coax! I do not know what type you use but there has been some 1000'
rolls for $55 to $60 range with free shipping. This is not just Chinese stuff either! Lowes
has 250' quad shield for a little over $62 for comparison. I passed up a roll of Commscope
RG6 direct burial with the goo for $55! :doh:

turbosat;2635438 PPC EX6 EX6XL RG6 Compression Fittings[/QUOTE said:
yep, that's the ones I use for compression f-connectors.

App note - don't use them if you are going to be connecting/disconnecting a coax tons of times. I have like 10 LNBs going into about 3-4 receivers so I have a setup much like an old telephone company (grin). I can connect and disconnect the various LNB lines to various receivers. I changed everything to the EX6XL compression connectors when I got the connectors and compression installation tool. After about 30-50 connects/disconnects, something funky happens around the butt end of the connector and you get an incomplete ground circuit so the receiver won't be able to tune the LNB input. I have redone those connect/disconnects back to crimp-style connectors because they are extremely robust (hundreds of connects/disconnects without an issue yet!) and I use the compression connnectors for those connections I plan not to touch more than 5-10 times (my more permanent connections).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)