Streaming with Blockbuster Thread

It downloads fast. And you can begin watching in just a few seconds once you start it.. So in that case it appears like streaming.. But the stream is being placed on your HDD..

I actually prefer this model, because you always get the highest tier PQ. Netflix as example, has lately been seeing dips in PQ while streaming, even though the HSI in ones home is more than fast enough. Nothing worse than getting halfway thru a movie at full streaming PQ, only to have it blur up due to a decrease in speed somewhere.

With Netflix there was no trickplay ability.. You could pause. But anything else was not fun. With this I can do all the frame advance and RR, FF and other trickplay stuff.. SO I like it for those reasons, as long as it stays off my side of the HDD..

It downloads fast. And you can begin watching in just a few seconds once you start it.. So in that case it appears like streaming.. But the stream is being placed on your HDD..

Interesting to know that. Thanks for explaining it. :)

I think I'm probably like the vast majority of people that say that I don't really care how it works as long as it works, LOL. Meaning that if I can find something I want to watch, select it, and it starts playing flawlessly within a few seconds...I really don't care if it is "true" streaming or resides on my HDD during the duration of the movie. I will delete it from "My recordings" anyway...and I have a ton of space on my HDD to begin with. As I noted before the DVR functions, such as FFWD, RWD, skip ahead/back...do not affect the audio sync. That is a welcome change from Netflix (which is a noted issue on many forums regarding the Netflix streaming service). So perhaps the science you mention regarding placing on the HDD is responsible for that improvement to the end-user experience.

I just tried to "watch" a movie using Dish and it tells me will be available in 10 hours.

Side point of clarification. My 622 still does not list Blockbuster under Dish on Demand options...
I don't see the adaptive streaming update to the 622 as yet. That's how my 722 used to work before L677 came down in the middle of last week. This made all the difference; now the streaming is not only watchable almost instantly, it's better PQ (particularly on SD) than I ever saw on Netflix streaming. ;)

Interesting to know that. Thanks for explaining it. :)

I think I'm probably like the vast majority of people that say that I don't really care how it works as long as it works, LOL. Meaning that if I can find something I want to watch, select it, and it starts playing flawlessly within a few seconds...I really don't care if it is "true" streaming or resides on my HDD during the duration of the movie. I will delete it from "My recordings" anyway...and I have a ton of space on my HDD to begin with. As I noted before the DVR functions, such as FFWD, RWD, skip ahead/back...do not affect the audio sync. That is a welcome change from Netflix (which is a noted issue on many forums regarding the Netflix streaming service). So perhaps the science you mention regarding placing on the HDD is responsible for that improvement to the end-user experience.

It won't show up in "My Recordings".. It is listed under "My Rentals" under the "All TV SHows" or "All Movies" Tabs. But it is still on The HDD.

Hi Tony, has the Movie Pass been activated on your DISH Network account. Is the e-mail address on your blockbuster account and the DISH Network account the same. If you are still having a problem, please PM your account info to a DIRT member and they can check your account. Thank you!

Yes, the Blockbuster Movie Pass has been activated on my Dish account and I have a few movies in my queue. I never had a Blockbuster account before. My Dish account uses a user name and a password. When I try to activate my Western Digital media player, the blockbuster site wants me to sign up for a NEW account with an email address and a password. I tried using my Dish network user name and password and it does not work on the blockbuster web site.

Is there any way that I can sign in to Blockbuster's web site so that I can activate my WD Live Plus media player for blockbuster streaming?

EDIT: I just realized that my original thread on this subject was merged into this thread. Now my posts have lost continuity and are buried in this thread. My post was about activating a media player while the other posts in this thread are generalized streaming questions. Mods: I would have preferred this discussion in its own thread.

Last edited:
Can anyone with a 622 that has gotten the update tell me what the Software number is? I have L635 and do not seem to have gotten the ability to adaptive stream. I am going to set to update in about 30 mins to see what happens. Also, has everyone that has been updated have Blockbuster listed as an option or does it still have Platinum listed?

Thanks.

Can anyone with a 622 that has gotten the update tell me what the Software number is? I have L635 and do not seem to have gotten the ability to adaptive stream. I am going to set to update in about 30 mins to see what happens. Also, has everyone that has been updated have Blockbuster listed as an option or does it still have Platinum listed?

Thanks.

Still at L635 here as well...

Tony S said:
Yes, the Blockbuster Movie Pass has been activated on my Dish account and I have a few movies in my queue. I never had a Blockbuster account before. My Dish account uses a user name and a password. When I try to activate my Western Digital media player, the blockbuster site wants me to sign up for a NEW account with an email address and a password. I tried using my Dish network user name and password and it does not work on the blockbuster web site.

Is there any way that I can sign in to Blockbuster's web site so that I can activate my WD Live Plus media player for blockbuster streaming?

EDIT: I just realized that my original thread on this subject was merged into this thread. Now my posts have lost continuity and are buried in this thread. My post was about activating a media player while the other posts in this thread are generalized streaming questions. Mods: I would have preferred this discussion in its own thread.

This service is not available on third party devices at this time. The BB App on you WD device is an app that will allow you to access BB's completely different streaming rental service (pay per movie format).

That's probably not what you want to hear, but I hope it clarifies things.

Edit: I should add that this was asked at Dish's press conference, but that no eta was given for when there would be any outside Dish receiver support.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks a lot for the information dangue.

You're right...that is not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that Blockbuster streaming would work similarly to the way Netflix streaming works on my media player. I have absolutely no interest in streaming pay per view movies.

"If you are worried about one movie taking up space, id say you need to buy an EHD..."

i said this exact thing 24 posts ago in this very thread ;)

........... just sayin :(

Sorry to hear about your issues. As I posted in the sticky thread just moments ago, I had an absolutely flawless experience with my first viewing. I am on Time Warner 10/1 Internet with a Netgear wireless N gigabit router. My VIP 722 connects by the wireless dongle from Dish. Both the sound through my 5.1 home theater and the HD picture quality on my 55" LED TV was impressive. I also stream Netflix in the same manner (just wirelessly through my home theater system).

I'd say picture and sound quality were identical (both impressive). Start up time was pretty much identical (within 10 seconds on both). One advantage I found was that audio remains in sync with the picture after pausing, unlike on Netflix most of the time from my experience. I used all fast-forward, rewind, skip ahead and back features also and all worked perfectly and never required buffering at any time.

I agree completely. I was impressed by the integration of the pause, play, forward, back controls that I'm used to with my 722 DVR, and the picture quality and sound was excellent while watching a few of the new release HD selections. Much better than the controls I had with Netflix streaming on my Roku player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts