Stud finder for shingles

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's a great question. I have a Zircon Contractor model and I doubt it would give usefull readings over such a rough and irregular surface. Best advice I've heard so far is to pound it with you hand or mallet to listen for the solid sound of the studs.

If your looking for the studs to mount your dish on your roof, I have mine screwed into the Plywood and if it missed a stud i changed it to a bolt and went into the attic and put a nut and washer on it. before i tightened it I put some clear silicone caulk into the holes. And always mount it as low as you can so it's over the Overhang instead of a interior room.

I tried the Zircon and would not work correctly.

See I mostly do direcway which has 3 points to mount and cant allways have it on the overhang. I use a mallet but on some newer houses that have planks not plywood the whole roof is solid when you hit it. What I will uselly do now is lift the single and go through with a 1/4 screw and go into the attic if I dont hit a stud and measure how far off I am. That can be a pain in the ass and just looking for any ideas to make it easier.

If the home has plywood soffit, look for the nails where it is attached to the joists. The rafter ends will be to the left or right of the joists. Taking into account a 2X piece of lumber is not really 2 inches and the spacing is most likely 16-inches on center, the chances of finding the rafter with a lag bolt by extrapolating the rafter end from the soffit nails... Never mind, mount it on a pole in the ground. :D

screw it.

if it's too solid to tell, it's too solid to give out within a half-year.

the REAL question comes when there's ten layers of shingles, just how soft and gooey and rotten is the wood on the bottom?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)