Suddenly the guide isn't showing up and I'm not getting all the channels

Flambe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
In the past few days, VOOM has been acting strangely.

Specifically, the guide often does not load (sometimes it does however), and I cannot tune some (non-OTA) channels. For instance I can get HBOHD but not HBO. I have no idea why. Nothing else has changed (including my firmware - I'm not running the latest 7.x update).

Any idea what's going on? Am I alone in these problems?
-F

Are you having problems with the following channels: 204, 206, 226, 229, 261, 262, 301, and 305?
If so, check your LNB and tighten all wire connections.
Watch the signal readings.

Thanks Ilya, I'll check when I get home. What does LNB stand for?

-F

LNB (Low Noise Blocker)
The LNB is the component located at the end of the arm projecting from the satellite dish. It converts the Ku-band signal beamed from the satellite to a 3.7 - 4.2GHz signal, then filters out low-end frequencies and amplifies the high-frequency signal before sending it to the LNB's coaxial output(s). Satellite service providers (such as DIRECTV and EchoStar) have satellites in multiple orbital positions, and a separate LNB is needed to access each satellite position.

Lifted from the Crutchfield website, found using the google search "satellite LNB defined"

Ok more info. The guide, while I had it last night, is gone again today (VOOM box was powered up over night).

Channels I don't get (that I should, and used to get):
203, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, and 308

(most of the *max channels are what I don't get)

I'll climb up on my roof to look at my LNB tomorrow, but honestly I'm not sure what I should expect to look for.

I did check all local connections, everything's tight (no loose cables or anything).

-F

Well the guide's working adn all the channels are coming in fine. I can only assume that it was either weather related, or something to do w/ the VOOM back end since lots of other folks also have had problems with their guide.

I just wish there was some way to know for sure.

-F

I have experienced a similar problem, with losing certain channels. Not the same ones as you, in fact, they aren't the same ones each time this has happened. A soft reboot fixes the problem for a while, then sometime later, again, no signal on some different channels. Seems to be a problem since the last software update (which i just got a couple days ago). Annoying having to reboot all the time, has anyone found a solution to this???

I am on a diplexor, but this is only happening on one of my boxes. Also, as soon as i do a soft reboot, the channels tune perfectly... then, some few hours later, the channels are gone again, as is the program guide. Nothing will fix it until another soft reboot.

Talked to VOOM this evening, they sent some code out to the box, said they had a few complaints about this already.... hopefully this will work. guess we will see. In the meantime, I may be switching my boxes to get the workind on on the main tv.

I had the similar problem and Voom replaced my stb. Now its working fine, so I believe a circuit board went bad.

CraziFuzzy can you let me know if the codes work? I'm still having intermittent issues. I have the same symptoms as you. I'll give them a call if it works for you.

-F

well, no success yet, It seems like I am going to have to call VOOM back and get another box sent out. I still have to reboot the box every day, which leaves me without a guide.

I must have finally gotten my update, cuz I generally don't have program guides, after a reboot I can get a couple hours worth. This is highly irritating.

1. Check phone line, (must be connected to a working line)
2. Check all cable & connectors, (requires disconection & inspection of connectors)
also check cable for any bad places, (ie: sharpe bends, flat spots are not good)
3. If using diplexer, try bypassing, (this has worked for Me several times)
I find in most service calls, one of these to be the problem. If not call Voom
and get a tech to service it, prob a bad IRD. good luck!

This is my sixth day with VOOM...everything was working very well, incredible HD, until I had extreme rain fade yesterday for hours-understandable I guess, as we had nearly four inches of rain...VOOM cleared up last night and all was well...since I got in from work this afternoon, I've had a mix of missing channels, heavy pixelation on others, no program guide, slight pixelation on the few channels that I can get, one or two channels seems normal... :confused: I've tried a series of soft and hard reboots... Strangely enough, I'm getting great reception from a couple of locals that have been hit or miss up until now...it's this way on both STBs...the skies are partly cloudy but nothing to warrant this mixed bag of tricks! It may be moisture in the dish or hook ups or whatever, but I'm going to have to call in VOOM tech-it's dark when I get in from work and didn't pay $250. for VOOM installation and over $10K for plasma and LCD TVs to turn into a do-it-yourselfer...excuse the rant, I'm not a rant type but this is a bit much...I signed up for VOOM with a postive attitude and was prepared to weather an occasional glitch or even a billing problem, but am not a happy camper at this point...I had friends drop by to check out the new Sony plasma and VOOM, and it was highly embarrassing... (gee, we can watch myopic CBS sit coms or hey, maybe I can find the UNO cards!!!) :D I'll give VOOM every chance, but my free time to relax and watch TV is extremely limited and this has been a very lousey night :(

Thanks, voomvoom, sounds logical...I'll have it checked out...some of the channels have cleared up, now that it's time for bed! Please forgive the rant, everyone-I really want to love VOOM and have, to this point!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts