Suggested Feature OnDemand

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
So this just crossed my mind, I have an hddvr in my living room, and was going to get a r22 as my upgrade for my movers in sept after my 1year, but for right now, i have an H21 and a d12 in my room, anyway, my thought was, wouldnt it be cool if we could access the ondemand menu from other receivers networked, but download the content to the dvr? As in me sitting on my ass in front of my computer with my H21 tied into the tv/monitor, and being able to surf ondemand from it, and set it to download titles to the hr22 in my living room. Since we can already use MRV to watch them, makes sense to be able to select them to download else where. anyone with some programming knowledge think this is doable? and heres to hoping d* reads my post :D

That actually is a good idea. Maybe set a default DVR for each remote non-DVR box and allow those remote receivers to act like a DVR using the default selected earlier as the location for storage. Of course it wouldn't work out for pausing/rewinding live TV, but for scheduling recordings and on demand downloads, it'd be pretty seamless.

So this just crossed my mind, I have an hddvr in my living room, and was going to get a r22 as my upgrade for my movers in sept after my 1year, but for right now, i have an H21 and a d12 in my room, anyway, my thought was, wouldnt it be cool if we could access the ondemand menu from other receivers networked, but download the content to the dvr? As in me sitting on my ass in front of my computer with my H21 tied into the tv/monitor, and being able to surf ondemand from it, and set it to download titles to the hr22 in my living room. Since we can already use MRV to watch them, makes sense to be able to select them to download else where. anyone with some programming knowledge think this is doable? and heres to hoping d* reads my post :D

That actually is a good idea. Maybe set a default DVR for each remote non-DVR box and allow those remote receivers to act like a DVR using the default selected earlier as the location for storage. Of course it wouldn't work out for pausing/rewinding live TV, but for scheduling recordings and on demand downloads, it'd be pretty seamless.

I only have DVR's on my account but it would be nice to select a preference for a recording to go to, whether it's a VOD, single recording or season pass. Tuner recordings would be harder to do because that would require the ability to prioritize and resolve conflicts remotely while VOD and ONDemand would be more doable because requests go to the bottom of a d/l queue rather than a tuner and time slot where conflicts occur.

Last edited:
I think that things will move in that direction..it only makes sense. They have to slowly work that way though. In the long term I'm willing to bet that you'll eventually see a central server with modular tuners that consolidate all the storage and tuners and then 'receivers' that are placed at each TV that pull content and live tv down from the central server.

the server idea makes sense, but unless all of the data was able to flow via coax, alot of houses would need completely new wiring, mainly ethernet, and the switches, and routers, and alot of bs that techs arnt paid enough to do. glad to see others like my idea now tho :) and yea i like the server idea, i just dont think its going to be a reality anytime in the near or distant future.

The data can move over coax. SWM can carry 8 video streams at once, and if all the actual tuners are in the server then a SWM setup could handle 8 different TV locations at once.