Suggestions needed on my fta project(pics posted)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerzstyle00

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
dallas,tx
I am looking to aim 97W with a motorized 30'' fortec dish using a universal LNB.The dish would be in my yard.I attached the dish on a wooden platform (pic below).But as you can see in the pic not sure if using a motor will work with the dish attached on the ground since the arm of the dish is nearly hitting the ground.Here are my questions.

1)Any suggestions on upgrading this project so i can use the motorized dish or will a motor not work with this project?

2)What other popular sat can i aim to since i have a motorized dish ?

3)Suggestion on a good step by step site on how to set-up this digipower motor?

4)I got a real good deal on this 'birdog'sat finder with ddsi.Any good sites on how to use it?

tn
tn
tn
tn

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 276
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 196
1) For the mast, you need a tripod . They are generally pretty cheap ( about $20 at home depot or menards), and it will get your lnbf arm off the ground. I used a tripod bolted to my deck for a 90cm setup very succesfully.

2) 125W for PBS, 101W for Bio and History channels, 99W for CBS Newspath, 89W for ABC NEWS NOW, 83W for RTV . 105W for Macy's ( that's a joke , :) )

What receiver are you using, there are HD and 4:2:2 feeds you might want if your receiver can handle them.
:)

The basic initial setup for a motorized system is as follows:

1. On the motor scale, set the latitude of your location.

2. On the dish elevation scale, set the elevation determined by your motor manual calculations, ( sometimes furnished by a web site calculator ) .

For example, My motor , an HH90 is set to 43 degrees, because my latitude is 42.7 degrees.

The dish elevation setting for my location is 38.4 degrees, so that's my starting point on the dish scale from my manual.

Now, with the motor "loosely " attached to the perfectly plumb mast, the entire assembly is pointed as close to true south as I can determine. The motor is snugged in place to the mast and I start up the TV and receiver. Using USALS mode, I enter my latitude and longitude into the "set location" menu area. Now the receiver knows its precise location.

I select the southernmost satellite to my position and set it up in the antenna menu screen with a strong active transponder. In my case, that in Nimiq 2 @ 82 degrees.

The motor moved just slightly to it's 82 degrees position . Now that the reciever "thinks" it is pointed to Nimiq2, I have to loosen the motor mounting nuts until I can barely turn the whole assembly east and west, a tiny bit at a time, while watching the quality indicator on the receiver. When I have the best quality I can get this way, I tighten down the bolts on the motor again.

The next adjustment is to slowly change the dish elevation setting, to get even more quality. Move only 1 degree at a time, and allow time for the receiver to respond to the new location. Once you've optimized that signal , you should be done. Tighten everything down solidly .

Setup a western satellite and have the receiver go to it. The motor should go there, and your quality should be good. The same is true of eastern satellites.

1) For the mast, you need a tripod . They are generally pretty cheap ( about $20 at home depot or menards), and it will get your lnbf arm off the ground. I used a tripod bolted to my deck for a 90cm setup very succesfully.

2) 125W for PBS, 101W for Bio and History channels, 99W for CBS Newspath, 89W for ABC NEWS NOW, 83W for RTV . 105W for Macy's ( that's a joke , :) )

What receiver are you using, there are HD and 4:2:2 feeds you might want if your receiver can handle them.
:)

I have 2 recievers I can use.A kbox prodigy which is what most suggest to use and a nfusion nova.

I have a 90cm dish temporarily mounted on the standard J-pole and foot attached to a board, weighted down with cinder blocks, and it doesn't touch the ground. I'm in Pennsylvania, so the original poster's dish in Texas should be pointing even higher. I can't tell what's going on from the small pictures.

Jim S. is on the right track. Once the op gets his dish properly mounted and aimed the arms will not be anywhere near the ground except for the extreme east and west satellites he might aim at. I live west and a little north of Dallas and the only time I have ever had a dish get close to the the ground is when I had a dish aimed at 148 for some channels that used to be itc.

i use a birdog myself and absolutely love it,
here is their website,
Horizon Satellite Meters
click on config and you can build your own satellite list for your birdog.
the earlier versions will accept 32 satellite locations and the later ones will accept 64 locations
any more questions on this thing, just ask
smiley.gif

hope this helps,
Denny

Thanks for the responses guys. I will try attaching the dish using this project and if doesnt woprk will go ahead and purchase a tripod .
It seems like I dont have an LNB holder.Is it possible that I insert a 3 inch bolt inside the hole towards the end of the LNB holder arm and hold the LNB using a tie wrap?
Also, the used motor I purchased did not have an bolts.Its hard to tell from the pics but Im holding the motor using a tie wrap but of course its loosy goosy. Is there a standard bolt size for this type of motor I can purchase from a home depot?

You can also turn your pole around to make a "J" then it will be higher to mount the dish. Your pics are too small for these old eyes, so, hard to really see and suggest any help.

It seems like I dont have an LNB holder.Is it possible that I insert a 3 inch bolt inside the hole towards the end of the LNB holder arm and hold the LNB using a tie wrap?
Contact the supplier of the dish for a replacement. If the LNBF is not held in the appropriate position, the satellite signal will not be properly reflected and tracking multipple satellites with the motor will be nearly impossible.

the used motor I purchased did not have an bolts.Is there a standard bolt size for this type of motor I can purchase from a home depot?
Measure the distance between the holes to determine the u-bolt size. Several bolt lengths are also available, but a 3 - 4" length is common.

Contact the supplier of the dish for a replacement. If the LNBF is not held in the appropriate position, the satellite signal will not be properly reflected and tracking multipple satellites with the motor will be nearly impossible.

I purchased these from an individual not a supplier as he had some parts missing.Is there not a way to measure exactly where the LNB should be plaved on the arm?Will the birddog finder I have help in this case?

Status
Please reply by conversation.