Suitable mast (pole)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrweather

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I'm an FTA noobie and am planning out the installation of a Fortec 90cm with Stab motor. According to the Stab info sheet I can use a mast of roughly 1.5" to 2.5" diameter.

I have in my possession a piece of T-6063 1/4" thick walled aluminum pipe, 1.5" in diameter.

Would that be sufficient to hold the motor and dish (presuming the mast is securely mounted)? Or should I go for something a little beefier, say, 2"?

Thanks!

I like to use a minimum of 2 " filled with cement! Even then there is slight flex!

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get their 2 inch rigid conduit in the electrical department, I think it has a od of 2 3/8 and is plenty thick walled and very heavy.... The fence corner posts are 2 3/8 od also but not nearly as heavy as the conduit, the conduit runs around 40 for a 10 section and the fence post runs around 15 or so..

Last edited:
Or go to the plumbing department and run a tape measure across different pieces of galvanized water pipe. Short lengths are available for adapting to larger pipe,
or you can through-bolt and separate vertically such as on the frame of a deck.
2 inches OD is a common size and it won't rust!

2-3/8 inches OD is a common size for chain link fence post, also.

Of Course it would depend on the height or length too. If your mounting post is 5 feet above the ground I would go with 2 3/8 fence and in the ground a couple of feet PSB I think has done of these that anybody and his advise would be the best.

Dave

I go 3' deep with my pole mounts here in MN.

Always best to keep the dish as low as you can get it, pending line of sight to the satellite/s of course!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

The dish will be going on the roof, tucked away in a corner by the "chimney" (not brick but a wood-framed box surrounding a stove pipe). The mast itself will lag bolted to the chimney. I don't anticipate any wind issues mostly because of where the dish will be located -- it's somewhat protected and has a great southern exposure!

I've had a multi-band ham radio antenna attached to the same structure for several years without any problems.

So going with the bigger mast is better? I can probably get some 2" pipe similar to the 1.5" I have. I like the aluminum because it doesn't rust and trust me, this stuff won't bend. :)

I use the heavy water pipe... If you're worried about flex just make the mast a bit shorter.

Alrighty, 2" pipe it is!

Now, I've been rethinking the mounting location. I've already got a 30' tower (supporting other ham radio antennas) that I think may be a better solution. My plan is to mount a section of 2" pipe to the tower leg facing south (about 20' up) and mount the motor/dish to the pipe (the tower legs aren't tubular).

I know for sure the tower isn't going anywhere since it's sitting in almost a yard of concrete! :D

Just make sure you can make adjustments to the dish w/o having to climb 10 feet or something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts