Suitable mast (pole)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrweather

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I'm an FTA noobie and am planning out the installation of a Fortec 90cm with Stab motor. According to the Stab info sheet I can use a mast of roughly 1.5" to 2.5" diameter.

I have in my possession a piece of T-6063 1/4" thick walled aluminum pipe, 1.5" in diameter.

Would that be sufficient to hold the motor and dish (presuming the mast is securely mounted)? Or should I go for something a little beefier, say, 2"?

Thanks!

I like to use a minimum of 2 " filled with cement! Even then there is slight flex!

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get their 2 inch rigid conduit in the electrical department, I think it has a od of 2 3/8 and is plenty thick walled and very heavy.... The fence corner posts are 2 3/8 od also but not nearly as heavy as the conduit, the conduit runs around 40 for a 10 section and the fence post runs around 15 or so..

Last edited:
Or go to the plumbing department and run a tape measure across different pieces of galvanized water pipe. Short lengths are available for adapting to larger pipe,
or you can through-bolt and separate vertically such as on the frame of a deck.
2 inches OD is a common size and it won't rust!

2-3/8 inches OD is a common size for chain link fence post, also.

Of Course it would depend on the height or length too. If your mounting post is 5 feet above the ground I would go with 2 3/8 fence and in the ground a couple of feet PSB I think has done of these that anybody and his advise would be the best.

Dave

I go 3' deep with my pole mounts here in MN.

Always best to keep the dish as low as you can get it, pending line of sight to the satellite/s of course!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

The dish will be going on the roof, tucked away in a corner by the "chimney" (not brick but a wood-framed box surrounding a stove pipe). The mast itself will lag bolted to the chimney. I don't anticipate any wind issues mostly because of where the dish will be located -- it's somewhat protected and has a great southern exposure!

I've had a multi-band ham radio antenna attached to the same structure for several years without any problems.

So going with the bigger mast is better? I can probably get some 2" pipe similar to the 1.5" I have. I like the aluminum because it doesn't rust and trust me, this stuff won't bend. :)

I use the heavy water pipe... If you're worried about flex just make the mast a bit shorter.

Alrighty, 2" pipe it is!

Now, I've been rethinking the mounting location. I've already got a 30' tower (supporting other ham radio antennas) that I think may be a better solution. My plan is to mount a section of 2" pipe to the tower leg facing south (about 20' up) and mount the motor/dish to the pipe (the tower legs aren't tubular).

I know for sure the tower isn't going anywhere since it's sitting in almost a yard of concrete! :D

Just make sure you can make adjustments to the dish w/o having to climb 10 feet or something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)