Summer Channel Moves: Most Sports / RSN Stations Moving

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
A number of channels in the 600 range will be changing over the next few months. The channel changes are primarily directed at RSN changes, but not entirely. It will also effect some 200's range channels as well as some sports packages. The first changes will start June 4th with the relocation of MLS Direct Kick from 694 - 699 to a new home at 444 - 449.

ESPN Gameplan will be moved from 686 - 691 to a new home of 704 - 709 and will share the range with the NFL Sunday Ticket
ESPN Full Court will be moved from 692 - 699 to a new home of 742 - 749.
The more significant changes will happen in the weeks after which will effect many channel changes in 600's for RSN's as we make room for additional channel locations.

As the changes happen, an on screen display will also come up that will tell the viewer where the new channel can be found. Channels will be dual illuminated for about a week before the old channel number comes down.
The entire process will take about 4 months as we transition channels slowly every other week and should finish in early October.

http://www.directv.com/channelchanges

Last edited by a moderator:
So they are moving channels around, it's nice that they let us know this will be happening, but they failed to say what they were putting in those soon to be open spots.

It would seem that they have all kinds of room still left in the 0-999 range and tons in the 1000-9999 range.

All the 900's are available, unless there are still people using the 900's for locals, but I don't think so.
Various areas in the 800's.

I really hope they are thinking about this ahead of time , so something that is watched doesn't end up in an area that has nothing to do with the surrounding channels.

Any further info about this ???
Like whats moving into these spots, it seems that the RSN's are the channel areas being affected, but it doesn't say that any RSN's are moving.

Jimbo

Yeah I was pretty mad when they moved SpikeTV. I had stuff set to record and missed it because of the move.

I think they should plan for a wholesale update of the channel numbers, a la primestar way back when. No reason for example for the news channels to be spread out as they are now

Reasoning
A number of reasons. The range is in need of re-organization as years of adding and removing channels has tended to fragment it a bit. Also the need to add space so we can add additional RSN alternative feeds as well as relocate some channels that really don't belong in that grouping.
again from Directv

I think they should plan for a wholesale update of the channel numbers, a la primestar way back when. No reason for example for the news channels to be spread out as they are now

Thankyou. I have hated the way the news channels are spread out too. THis makes no sense what so ever.

The only out of place channels are the CNN suit from other news channels and the ESPN suit from other sports channels and they are still grouped together. This is because of contractual issues. Other than that all other sports are grouped together, all other news are grouped together, and all other similar grouping channels are grouped together.

Yeah I was pretty mad when they moved SpikeTV. I had stuff set to record and missed it because of the move.

I was happy to see them move Spike, now it's where it sould have been all along, in with SciFi, USA, and the Turner channels.

If they could move all the shopping channels in it's own area that would be great, then I could delete them quicker ...
Why they stuck a shopping channel in the middle of the USA Spike TNT type stuff is beyond me.

Jimbo

Last edited:
If they could move all the shopping channels in it's own area that would be great, then I could delete them quicker ...

Jimbo
And that is exactly why they might not move them. :) Afterall, the shopping channels pay DirecTV and they expect to be seen.

The only out of place channels are the CNN suit from other news channels and the ESPN suit from other sports channels and they are still grouped together. This is because of contractual issues. Other than that all other sports are grouped together, all other news are grouped together, and all other similar grouping channels are grouped together.

Except shopping channels, they are scattered ...

Ok,
I'm don't ranting about shopping channels

Should have been with them when they split programming with USSB ;)

I was not with them at that time, but I was watching closely, I had C-Band at the time and eventually moved to D*.

I remember it well, it always seemed kinda funny to have to get movies from a different programmer.
I was able to get anything I wanted on the C-Band thru one provider.

Jimbo

I remember all that stuff going on. I have only had Directv since 2001, but had C-Band back to the early 90's.

Then why not move the rest of the news channels in the 300s to the same place as Cnn in the 202 range. NEws would be first then sports.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)