Sun burned Chaparral feedhorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstief

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
SDAK
I had this mounted on a 8 ft. dish that the paint kind of good thin on and things got a little warm. I am wondering if you cleaned out all the burned items in the throat and put a KU & C band lnbfs on it would it still work? Or is this pretty well garbage?

Attachments

• feedhorn.JPG
    feedhorn.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 216
  • horn.JPG
    horn.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 215
If you leave the large probe at the back of the feed and get rid of the rest of the stuff, you might get it to work on C-band only. That is assuming the rotor still turns.

If you leave the large probe at the back of the feed and get rid of the rest of the stuff, you might get it to work on C-band only. That is assuming the rotor still turns.

I'm not familiar with that lnbf. It looks like a dipole corner reflector device for KU.

Can you tell me more about it?

The chaparral was both a c & KU feedhorn. No lnbf on it at present.

I don't know right now what they are, but if a person removed them and put a C & KU lnbf on the feed horn, do you still need the probe in the back? Or will this only work with lnb and a servo motor?

The chaparral was both a c & KU feedhorn. No lnbf on it at present.

I don't know right now what they are, but if a person removed them and put a C & KU lnbf on the feed horn, do you still need the probe in the back? Or will this only work with lnb and a servo motor?

So it's a corotor with a servo on the rear of the feed?

If so the C-band probe inside at the very back is required for reception. The servo has to be able to rotate it by at least 90 degrees to select H or V. The Ku probe would have been at the front of the feed, but it looks as though it was vaporized. If the garbage in front of the C-band probe can be removed and that probe can still be rotated by the servo, it's possible that adding a C-band LNB will work. It's unlikely that Ku-band will ever function without extensive repairs.

One reason I only run c band on my bud is the simplicity of the feed. There is only one probe with no fancy linkage or the like to go wrong. Sometimes simple is the best route.

Yes on the corotor with a servo.

Ok, I will tear out everything but the probe and see what happens. If the probe still works, I guess I will just use it for Cband and if I still want to try for KU , try mounting a KU lnbf on the side some place.

Thanks for the info.

Cover your ku waveguide where your lnb goes with a piece of metal if you decide to rip the ku guts out and use it for C band only.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)