Superbowl in HD???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
Will D* be offering the Superbowl in HD even though we don't have Fox HD?

My signal to Fox OTA isnt great so I'm hoping D* offers it. Anybody have any info???

A few weeks ago D* mentioned on their website you could watch the Super Bowl in HD if you signed up for the package. (It was under HD programming in this link . They have since changed the text in the offer. I had e-mailed them asking for clarification. Here is their response.

11/24/2004 11:44 AM

Dear Sean,

Thank you for writing. At this time, we have no information about Fox allowing us to show them in High Definition for the Super Bowl.

Stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for more information and updates as they become available.

Sincerely,

Peter
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

11/23/2004 07:56 PM

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

[Topic Selected: Programming]

Details: On the following webpage at directv.com http://www.directv.com/see/landing/hd_q4_offer.html it mentions that the Super Bowl on Fox is included with HD programming. Is this true? Is there some sort of special exception that is made that will allow for broadcast of the game to all HD subscribers? My loacl Fox affiliate does not broadcast in HD. Any info and clarification/validation would be appreciated.

It's a pretty big game. And I'm pretty sure the super bowl will be available on both E* and D*

Chill Pill

Let's all relax here fellas. Despite no official stance from the CSR's, D* carried the Super Bowl in HD last year, nationwide, even for those that DID NOT have the HD Package. Granted this was a last minute deal with CBS, I would not expect D* to change their "offering" for this year especially since they OWN Fox.

I will think good thoughts for all of you and hope you do get the SB in HD. Me on the other hand, well I receive FOX (KDVR) as my sole "100" level signal, so even if D* carries, I'll be watching on OTA ;)

It's funny how the relationship between D* and Fox has actually slowed things down for them working together. That pesky FCC and their rules has made them (D*, Fox) move at a snail's pace, so as to not appear to abuse their situation. I'm not positive that we'll see Fox-HD on D* in time for the Super Bowl. Although the fact that they carried the WS on Fox-HD gives me some hope. Maybe they will do a special programming trick again (like with CBS last year, although was that for everyone or just O&O and waivers? I don't recall.)
I wouldn't be surprised if we get ABC-HD before Fox-HD (full time), again so as to not get into trouble with the FCC.

Over at AVSForum it has been said that the FOX East and West feeds are now back up and available to those with engineering cards (installers mainly). Both channels were not available previously (even with an engineering card) soon after the World Series was over. Call it speculation, but it sounds like something is in the works.

You know I used to be into sports but not anymore , Baseball , Football and so but, I just got tired of them wanting more money and when baseball went on strike and now we don't see any hockey because the players want more money its just crazy. So sorry if I upset a few people but its just how I feel.

gluck75 said:
Will D* be offering the Superbowl in HD even though we don't have Fox HD?

My signal to Fox OTA isnt great so I'm hoping D* offers it. Anybody have any info???
Nope, This is the same scenario as last year on CBS. Couldnt do it with CBS last year unless you qualified for a distant network feed. Even if FOXHD is up by then there is NO WAY your local OTA Fox affiliate would allow you to recieve it from D* unless you are in an O&O or have a waiver. Especially the superbowl, the biggest advertising bonanza of them all. IF you need further proof call your local fox station.

slacker9876 said:
D* carried the Super Bowl in HD last year, nationwide, even for those that DID NOT have the HD Package.
Only for those in O&O's or those that could get a waiver.

slacker9876 said:
D* carried the Super Bowl in HD last year, nationwide, even for those that DID NOT have the HD Package.
Only for those in O&O's or those that could get a waiver.

LOBO2999 said:
You know I used to be into sports but not anymore , Baseball , Football and so but, I just got tired of them wanting more money and when baseball went on strike and now we don't see any hockey because the players want more money its just crazy. So sorry if I upset a few people but its just how I feel.

I understand buddy, the NHL has ticked me off pretty good. It looks like Gary Bettman is jut going from league to league and seeing what he can destroy. In defense of the players if you look at the CBA News, the league is the problem, not the players.

vurbano, the O&O was right last year ... I got it OTA them too, but my neighbor had it on D*. I was pissed! My OTA feed was lame (from Cheyenne, WY) poor audio quality.

Just so some users don't get confused, D* does not own FOX, nor does FOX own D*. They are both properties held by News Corporation, which is controlled by K. Rupert Murdoch the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

you may be confused DIRECTV Group, Inc. (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment, broadband satellite networks and services. The DIRECTV Group, Inc. is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation Ltd. For more information please visit www.directv.com.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)