Superdish 105 or 121 ?

metaverse3

Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Folks,

I want to put one of these Super Dish's to grab 110/119 and 105 or 121. I don't care about locals since we get them with cable modem (Comcast Cable Modem Tax) I'm on the east coast. Which kit should I get ? I'm thinking it is the 121 since the 105 has locals and the 121 has international. I could get rid of my 61.5 and get them on one dish. Would there be an issue hitting the 121 bird from PA/NJ area ? Anyone can explain the differences in the 105 or 121 kits ? Would there be a signal loss issue trying to hit the 121. I already read couple of posts on the 105/121 birds being weak as is due to the FSS spectrum. I want to cleanup the dual dish's hanging off the front of my house and this sounds like a plan..

TIA

If you are not wanting locals by E* what channels are you wanting on 105 or 121? At this time or the foreseeable future the only channels on 105 is some newer smaller market locals, on 121 it is the same except the addition of a few International channels but they are not duplicates of the ones on 61.5 and 148, with maybe a few exceptions.

If you do not want locals from Dish and you don't mention any interest in certain international channels, then I have to ask. Why do you even want a SuperDish? It won't likely get you more channels, and its quite larger than a Dish500.

If you are hoping for more HD, then there is supposed to be a new satellite going up to 105 later this year.

If you are not wanting locals by E* what channels are you wanting on 105 or 121?

The international channels so I can consolidate onto one dish which I posted earlier.

If you do not want locals from Dish and you don't mention any interest in certain international channels, then I have to ask. Why do you even want a SuperDish?

To consolidate to one dish. I have an international package which shows up on the 121 dish.

metaverse3 said:
Which kit should I get ? I'm thinking it is the 121 since the 105 has locals and the 121 has international.

Would there be an issue hitting the 121 bird from PA/NJ area ? Anyone can explain the differences in the 105 or 121 kits ? Would there be a signal loss issue trying to hit the 121. I already read couple of posts on the 105/121 birds being weak as is due to the FSS spectrum.
If you want internationals get the 121 dish. BTW: There are locals on both 105 and 121, some markets on one and some on the other (and a few still moving to 121). But as you stated, your interest is in internationals and that is 121 (of the FSS birds).

121 is slightly west of 119. If you can hit 119 cleanly you shouldn't have a problem. Your dish will look like it is pointed a lot further west than your current Dish500. SuperDishes are aimed at the FSS bird (105 or 121) with the DBS LNBs offset (one in the center next to the FSS LNB, and one on the outrigger). A Dish500 would be aimed at 114.5 -- straight up the middle of 110/119 -- SuperDish 121 aims at 121.

The LNBs are set up differently on 105 and 121 dishes. Standing behind a 105 dish and looking south the three LNBs are (left to right) 119 on the outrigger, 110 and 105 in the center casing with 105 dead center of the dish. On a 121 dish the order (left to right) is 121 and 119 in the center casing and 110 on the outrigger (121 dead center on the dish). The heads arre not interchangeable between 105 and 121 dishes. Plus, since one of the DBS LNBs is practically on top of the large FSS LNB, the center feed horn is different.

As noted 105 and 121 are FSS birds, slightly lower in the Ku band but much lower in power. They need the bigger dish to get a signal. That is also why the dish is centered on the FSS bird, to give it the best chance of being received. DBS birds are higher powered and are much easier to tune.

JL

Thank you for this post. Just what I needed to know.. I acquired a 121 based on this info. I can indeed hit 119 which peaks in at 110% on the receiver meter. I avoided the roof and put it on a pole.. I think I might have to move the pole out a bit since she has a wider dish. If I can get this working, I'll try to post pics... 110/119/121 is the goal !

Availability of SuperDish-121

metaverse3 said:
Thank you for this post. Just what I needed to know.. I acquired a 121 based on this info. I can indeed hit 119 which peaks in at 110% on the receiver meter. I avoided the roof and put it on a pole.. I think I might have to move the pole out a bit since she has a wider dish. If I can get this working, I'll try to post pics... 110/119/121 is the goal !

I live in the Los Angeles area and interested in the International programming (south asian channels in particular) along with Dish HD and SD channels. Dish seems to be moving or mirroring all channels I am interested from 148 to 121. I am getting all local channels OTA. This would make SuperDish-121 my ideal choice. I am currently a subscriber (AT180). However, after I enter my ZIP code, Dish web site says SuperDish is NOT available in my area at this time. I know many of you have to wait few months for Superdish, why are they not willing to put me in a waiting list ? Did any one get a SuperDish-121 anywhere in the Westcoast ?

Superdishs only go to Superdish local markets. Boise & Missoula are the closest markets to the west coast. Find a Primestar or Directway dish.
I gathered my extra Ku dishs for free. Thought I'd need them for HD.
Then charlie changed his mind. I'd already begun the challenge, and
am set for the future.

Superdishs only go to Superdish 105/121 locals. Your market is non Superdish.
Find a primestar or directway dish for free.

chelsea said:
Superdishs only go to Superdish 105/121 locals. Your market is non Superdish.
Find a primestar or directway dish for free.

Thank you chelsea for the info. Looks like even though DishNetwork provides much more international programming (for very high cost), they make it impossible for a customer to subscribe to it !!! I wonder what will happen to all these customers of local analog channels when they are all shut down by FCC after 2006. I think there will be a massive exodus of customers from satellite to cable. It will be nearly impossible to provide all local channels in HD. :confused:

Rajumon said:
Thank you chelsea for the info. Looks like even though DishNetwork provides much more international programming (for very high cost), they make it impossible for a customer to subscribe to it !!! I wonder what will happen to all these customers of local analog channels when they are all shut down by FCC after 2006. I think there will be a massive exodus of customers from satellite to cable. It will be nearly impossible to provide all local channels in HD. :confused:

Unless the "must carry" law is changed, E* and D* will NOT have to carry local HD channels, DT yes, however DT does not automatically mean it is HD. Once all NTSC analog stations are turned off, D* and E* will simply up link these locals in SDDT, which will take up no more bandwidth then the current NTSC stations and their will still be plenty of subs that will be content with these. Besides by the time the NTSC channels are turned off, hopefully the DT channels will all be at full power by then and unlike analog, if you can receive DT at all it will come in crystal clear for Free. Those who want local HDTV will be able to receive them for free ota and their satellite receivers built in DT OTA tuner will seamlessly integrate those crystal clear HD ota channels in their epg, so why again will everyone flock back to cable?

Chris Freeland said:
Unless the "must carry" law is changed, E* and D* will NOT have to carry local HD channels, DT yes, however DT does not automatically mean it is HD.
At the moment NO DT is required to be carried, even SD. One early DT only station found that out by turning in their analog license and broadcasting only on DT - although they continued to provide E* with a private SD feed, E* dropped the station. Must carry for them died when they turned of analog.

While not decided, the talk seems to be in favor of carrying the primary programming feed in the same compression that is done OTA. But the answer is still a lot of debate away.

Chris Freeland said:
Besides by the time the NTSC channels are turned off, hopefully the DT channels will all be at full power by then and unlike analog, if you can receive DT at all it will come in crystal clear for Free.
The trick will be getting the signal to the viewers. The initial grants proved insufficient and most broadcasters have found themselves applying for higher power levels than the FCC originally planned - just to have the same footprint as their existing analog signals. It is a real mess.

All or nothing with the fringe viewers getting blocky dropped out video. Not cool. Satellite, even in SD, will be needed to get the signal out to all viewers (remembering that many DMAs have areas where the Grade B coverage of their analog stations does not reach). Cable will do OK, but they really don't have that much more advantage over satellite and won't.

HD is cool - but true HD sets are still out of range of most consumers and that isn't going to change by 2006. EDTV will become the most common seen format for the next few years. The FCC is requiring (in stages) new TVs to come with DT tuners capable of tuning all 18 standard DT formats - they are NOT requiring HD displays.

JL

justalurker said:
If you want internationals get the 121 dish. BTW: There are locals on both 105 and 121, some markets on one and some on the other (and a few still moving to 121). But as you stated, your interest is in internationals and that is 121 (of the FSS birds).

121 is slightly west of 119. If you can hit 119 cleanly you shouldn't have a problem. Your dish will look like it is pointed a lot further west than your current Dish500. SuperDishes are aimed at the FSS bird (105 or 121) with the DBS LNBs offset (one in the center next to the FSS LNB, and one on the outrigger). A Dish500 would be aimed at 114.5 -- straight up the middle of 110/119 -- SuperDish 121 aims at 121.

The LNBs are set up differently on 105 and 121 dishes. Standing behind a 105 dish and looking south the three LNBs are (left to right) 119 on the outrigger, 110 and 105 in the center casing with 105 dead center of the dish. On a 121 dish the order (left to right) is 121 and 119 in the center casing and 110 on the outrigger (121 dead center on the dish). The heads arre not interchangeable between 105 and 121 dishes. Plus, since one of the DBS LNBs is practically on top of the large FSS LNB, the center feed horn is different.

As noted 105 and 121 are FSS birds, slightly lower in the Ku band but much lower in power. They need the bigger dish to get a signal. That is also why the dish is centered on the FSS bird, to give it the best chance of being received. DBS birds are higher powered and are much easier to tune.

JL

Hi,

I have three LNBs one Linear for 121 and othere two Circular for 110,119 these are indivisual LNBs and 30x36" Elliptical Dish. I want to know how far thay will be from each other how mane centimeter or inch. so i can get the signal from those sat. Detail will much appreciate.

Best Regard

121 supers are going up in california, I cant see why someone would have a problem getting a 121 for any international programing that comes on the 121 such as great wall or the enhanced arabic packages. Ive never had a customer complain about difficulties in getting the super except for those living in apartments for obvious reasons.

Cruiser said:
Hi,

I have three LNBs one Linear for 121 and othere two Circular for 110,119 these are indivisual LNBs and 30x36" Elliptical Dish. I want to know how far thay will be from each other how mane centimeter or inch. so i can get the signal from those sat. Detail will much appreciate.

Best Regard

Hi

I just ask for the distince LNB to LNB how mane centimeter or inchs from each other detail much appreciate.

Best Regard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)