superdish type 1, 105 installation

hiatthome

Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Newby here with a couple questions. I have a superdish 105, 301 receiver, and a couple new lnb's. I am getting conn, conn, nc on the switch test so I hooked each lnb up one at a time and found the lnb on the left as you stand in front of the dish(west) is not working. I get no signal on 119... This happens on both lnb's no matter what port I plug into on the switch nor what cable I use. Is it possible I have two bad lnb's?

After reading and testing more I now realize that I also don't have the correct skew and azimuth. I was using the settings for my old (500) dish and from dish's web site. I can't find settings for the superdish, can anyone help??? I live in Cambridge, Nebraska 69022. If you have a link you could send me to or could give me the settings it would be great. I am of the understanding that as soon as I have everything set correctly, even if one lnb is bad, as long as 119 is good I should be able to pick up signal to at least get something. I still don't know if both lnb's are bad so if you have an opinion on that it would be great to hear.

i use same settings for dish 500, SD, and 1000 it works. make sure your mast is leveled.
are you sure it is not your 301 receiver?

The Dish300, Dish500, Dish1000, and SuperDish all use different settings for azimuth, elevation, and skew. Give us your zipcode so that we can give you the settings for your area for the 105 SuperDish.

to properly install your 105 you need to set the skew first to 95 and then the elevation to 43. the azmuth for 105 is 177. superdishs are really not that difficult to do. once you have it mounted (make sure mast is plumb) just swing dish from the west to the east slowly until you get the 119 signal maxed.

The 301 receiver does work with my dish 500, and the 301 is upgraded to the newest version, so I don't think that's it but it was worth considering. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'll try the skew at 95, elevation at 43 and azimuth at 177 then let you know what I find. The sales person I got the lnb's from said he will exchange them so I guess they think they are bad based on the tests I've done but I have read in other posts that unless I have a signal on 119 the others may not show up. Is that true?

Well I tried the settings stated above for azimuth, skew, and elevation but no joy. I also plugged in only 119 so I took the switch out of the loop. Confirmed the mast is level... I have to have back surgery again soon so I only have a couple more days to work on this before hiring someone. Any advice is apreciative.

The settings that papalittle gave you appear to be the correct ones.
The procedure for setting the 105 Superdish and not the 121 Superdish are as follows:

Connect just the one cable from the 119 LNBF (outermost or closest to edge of dish) to LNBF port #1 of the DP34 switch.

With cable going from switch to receiver, and just one cable going into port #1 of DP34, run check switch. At end of check switch test, the screen should read port # 1 conn and DP34 switch detected.

From the signal strength screen select the 119 satellite. Then select transponder #11.

Peak the dish for maximum signal for that satellite(119) and transponder.

After finding the best spot, mark the mast with a pencil in order to return later.

Disconnect the feed from the 119 LNBF and connect the feed from the 105 LNBF (dead centre on dish) to input port #1 of the DP34 switch.

From the signal strength screen select the 105 satellite. Then select transponder # 7.

Without adjusting the skew angle, slowly adjust elevation and or azimuth very slowly for best signal from 105 satellite.

Disconnect the 105 LNBF cable and put it into port #3. The 119 LNBF cable goes into port #1 and the 110 LNBF cable goes into port #2.

Do a check switch making sure Superdish is highlited.
It should show all 3 satellites connected and signals.

Can't get it to work, Going back to dish 500

I haven't been able to get the superdish to work. I just heard that a new satellite went up and should be active within a few days giving local channels on Dish 500's. I used to have two dishes, one for local, now I understand I will only need 1 dish and get the same channels. Guess my purchase of the superdish to get locals was not worth it. Anyone want a good deal on a Superdish 105 with two sets of (possibly bad) lbnf's?

Can't get it to work, Going back to dish 500

I haven't been able to get the superdish to work. I just heard that a new satellite went up and should be active within a few days giving local channels on Dish 500's. I used to have two dishes, one for local, now I understand I will only need 1 dish and get the same channels. Guess my purchase of the superdish to get locals was not worth it. Anyone want a good deal on a Superdish 105 with two sets of (possibly bad) lbnf's?