Supreme Court unanimously rules that NCAA improperly limited student athlete compensation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA

The Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision Monday that the NCAA has illegally restricted education-based benefits that could be used as compensation to student athletes.

The case was brought by current and former student athletes who played college football, as well as men's and women's college basketball. They sued the NCAA and 11 conferences, claiming that the rules restricting compensation violated antitrust laws. A lower court ruling maintained the NCAA's rules of generally forbidding payment to student athletes, while allowing for education-related aid. The students accepted this, but the NCAA fought it, eventually bringing the case to the high court.

"To the extent [the NCAA] means to propose a sort of judicially ordained immunity from the terms of the Sherman Act for its restraints of trade—that we should overlook its restrictions because they happen to fall at the intersection of higher education, sports, and money—we cannot agree," Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the court's opinion.

Gorsuch made clear that the athletic organization can still enforce rules that forbid schools from paying students salaries or giving them outlandish gifts to lure them to their programs.

"Under the current decree, the NCAA is free to forbid in-kind benefits unrelated to a student’s actual education; nothing stops it from enforcing a ‘no Lamborghini’ rule," he said.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, in a concurring opinion, took the NCAA to task, arguing that even the remaining restrictions are questionable.

"I add this concurring opinion to underscore that the NCAA’s remaining compensation rules also raise serious questions under the antitrust laws," Kavanaugh wrote, making clear that the court’s decision "does not address the legality" of those rules because they were not at issue on appeal.

Kavanaugh went on to make a case against those remaining rules.

"The NCAA acknowledges that it controls the market for college athletes. The NCAA concedes that its compensation rules set the price of student athlete labor at a below-market rate. And the NCAA recognizes that student athletes currently have no meaningful ability to negotiate with the NCAA over the compensation rules," he wrote. He went on to attack NCAA’s past argument that the rules are procompetitive because they help define college sports as featuring unpaid amateurs, calling this claim "circular and unpersuasive."

Kavanaugh then compared the NCAA to other industries, noting the absurdity of suggesting that nurses’ wages should be capped because it would make their work "purer," or that restaurant customer prefer eating food made by low-paid cooks.

"The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America," Kavanaugh said.

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different," he concluded. "The NCAA is not above the law."

Be interesting how this will play out now. With the court ruling that the NCAA violated anti-trust laws, anyone suing them will be eligible for triple damages.

The NCAA can now expect a lawsuit from every players who was ever ruled ineligible for accepting payments.

This will also further expand the gap between the haves and have-nots.

I'm waiting for the IRS to jump in and claim all benefits as income, based on value, and all these kids getting a free education worth tens of thousands a year are faced with a big fat tax bill. It's absurd that kids getting a free education worth 100k and up think they aren't compensated enough for playing a game no one is forcing them to play. Boo hoo. :crying

I'm waiting for the IRS to jump in and claim all benefits as income, based on value, and all these kids getting a free education worth tens of thousands a year are faced with a big fat tax bill. It's absurd that kids getting a free education worth 100k and up think they aren't compensated enough for playing a game no one is forcing them to play. Boo hoo. :crying
There's a double edge to that, as the same ruling would affect anyone on any kind of scholarship.

Reactions: Mike0616 and AZ.
The colleges and universities are making millions...tax free..using free student athletes

So in other words players go to get money and not an education.
Raining Money GIF by memecandy

Reactions: Mike0616
Anyone who knows somebody who majored in a health profession, or who got an advanced degree in something other than teaching or business, knows that free work for the university is a big part of the deal. Even teachers have to do "student teaching" which is not only unpaid, but they have to pay tuition to do it, for their last semester. Only difference is that there is no mega $$ contract waiting at the end of the short internship pro athletes must serve.

Cry me a river for these poor exploited victims.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Anyone who knows somebody who majored in a health profession, or who got an advanced degree in something other than teaching or business, knows that free work for the university is a big part of the deal. Even teachers have to do "student teaching" which is not only unpaid, but they have to pay tuition to do it, for their last semester. Only difference is that there is no mega $$ contract waiting at the end of the short internship pro athletes must serve.

Cry me a river for these poor exploited victims.
Athletes don't really major in anything

Actually the graduation rates for Division I football and men's basketball players are about the same as for non-athletes, while the women's basketball graduation rates are far above the average.

The myth of "dumb jocks" who take "cupcake" classes is mostly not true. Most athletes, including those in the revenue sports, trade playing sports (as the ads say, 99% go pro in something other than sports) for a debt free post college life, which is a good trade, IMHO.

Reactions: Rey and DWS44
Actually the graduation rates for Division I football and men's basketball players are about the same as for non-athletes, while the women's basketball graduation rates are far above the average.

The myth of "dumb jocks" who take "cupcake" classes is mostly not true. Most athletes, including those in the revenue sports, trade playing sports (as the ads say, 99% go pro in something other than sports) for a debt free post college life, which is a good trade, IMHO.
Football and Basketball make the money and have the dumb jocks ...for every other sport I agree with you...the problem is the tv contracts and the gobs of money the colleges make using free labor

Football and Basketball make the money and have the dumb jocks ...for every other sport I agree with you...the problem is the tv contracts and the gobs of money the colleges make using free labor
Then they go to the Pros and get injured all the time. Get paid all that money and can't even play. That's why I like hockey. Player gets injured he goes in and gets stitched up and back to the rink. I've got more respect for a hockey player than any other sport.

Reactions: Juan
It all come down to one thing,, MONEY that's why when you company most large Corporation you get people that speak English but not the kind you can understand. To save money

It all come down to one thing,, MONEY that's why when you company most large Corporation you get people that speak English but not the kind you can understand. To save money
Like this post? ;)

Seriously though, while it's great that student-athletes will be able to cash in, but will anything change from a competitive landscape perspective? All of the top schools have the most money and best resources to offer and they're already attracting the top talent......

Like this post? ;)

Seriously though, while it's great that student-athletes will be able to cash in, but will anything change from a competitive landscape perspective? All of the top schools have the most money and best resources to offer and they're already attracting the top talent......
Nothing to change...the schools with the best football and basketball programs have been taking care of all star players forever...its just going to be in plain sight now