Status
Please reply by conversation.

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
Was just watching this old house on PBS and they were rewiring an old house and they installed a surge protecter directly to the input fuse box and said it would protect it from lighting.(I think it cost around 160.00) Anyone here know how good they work and would it have helped the fellow who lost all his equipment to lightning?
Thanks John

Hi John,

I have been selling surge protectors for years for computers and networks.

The ones that you are talking about do help. The bank down the street has them installed. I don't think they have ever been hit.

As far as I know, there is nothing that will help in the event of a direct hit by lightning.

The manufacturers all put a guaranteed lifetime warranty with their products, with the stipulation that you keep the original boxes, and the receipts from where you bought them, otherwise they won't pay.. They also only warranty up to a certain dollar value.

They are "surge protectors" not lightning arrestors.

Just my opinion.

Fred

Our power company installs them at the meter, I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't overly expensive. We pay a $1.50 a month for insurance. Last December the power was turned off to hook up a house that was being built across the ally. Unfourantley they did'nt tell anyone they were doing this so we could be prepaired. When they turned the power back on it fried my Quali TV 1080. I sent it off for repairs, $490.00 worth then filed a claim. Much to my surprise, they paid up with no questions ask.

The surge protectors installed at the main panel are called whole house surge protectors. An electrician can install these and they do work with most electrical surges. You also should have an excellent grounding system up to "code" which is 2 ground rods placed 6 ft. apart and a cold water pipe ground.

Then in addition to this, you should also have surge protectors/power strips at each outlet where electronic equipment is plugged in. These will only work with 3 prong (grounded) outlets.

I have the above at my house and have not had any damaged electronic equipment in 8 years.

Note with a very close or direct lightning hit, you can have all of the above and still get damage.

surge protecters

Thanks for input everyone now have another question. Would a UPS (battery back up) be better against lighting than just a regular surge protecter power strip?

Thanks for input everyone now have another question. Would a UPS (battery back up) be better against lighting than just a regular surge protecter power strip?

Basically lightning with a nearby strike can "make electricity" in wires running nearby (without actually "touching" the wires). The longer the wire run, the more electricity which will be "generated' inside the wires when lightning strikes nearby.

With a satellite receiver, in addition to the power cord, there are also other wires running a long distance and outside. Expecially with a 36 volt positioner = more wires to pick up lightning "electricity".

So with that said, if you have just a computer which is not connected to a phone line and the only wiring is the power cord and connections to keyboard, monitor, etc., then yes a UPS would give you more protection.

But with a satellite receiver where there are multiple wires running outside, the receiver could get "zapped" by electricity generated in the wires running to the dish.

So the power line cord would be well protected, but the wires running to the dish would be a source of potential damage to the receiver.

If all the wires are "shielded" and the shielding is grounded, then this would provide protection to the wires running to the dish.

Shielding is metal (or something which conducts electricity) totally covering the wires inside a cable.

Here is additional information...

Faraday cage...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Shielded wire...
http://www.mjsales.net/items.asp?FamilyID=168&this_Cat1ID=261&Cat2ID=21

I watched that episode of This Old House recently also, I think I will do something like this soon for added protection.

I found after my lightning strike last Friday exactly how lightning can enter a home. As the tree was hit in the yard it found it's way along all the cables buried there 19 years ago. The C band receiver got it the worst, evidence on the cables on the back of the receiver. I suspect when I connect the receiver I have on the way, I will find the motor position sensors and motor may be ruined. Probably the LNBFs as well. Although the coax cable connectors appear OK. The power leads to the motor were blackened at the screws,perhaps since they are unshielded and ungrounded.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts