Swanni says Direct WILL have 100 HD channels by years end.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Funny thing is Comcast is adding HGTVHD and FoodHD :neener . Poor poor D* subs, can only get NatGeo on sneak previews that the HR20 does not like to record (Mine personaly missed the ferrari factory 3 times :mad: )

IS funny watching Swanni reports time to time.Last night watching 24, Direct tv now advertise they will have 150 HD channels by the years end.Pure Kool Aid:rolleyes:

i saw that too. it was that hot bimbo from american pie.

The latest "Back To The Future" ad is very informative.

Doc says, "...will have three times the HD CAPACITY of cable..."

Capacity does not equal actual content.

PT Barnum is still very instructive 'lo these many years later.

and they alwasy says CABLE> they never said satellite provider. or tv provider.

DirecTV confirmed that they will be counting HD channels in the expensive sports packages like NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings in order to get to the "100" figure... :(

Yep.. the average viewer will probably score 30 new HD channels. One of them may be the "Back to the Future Channel"?? Maybe. If they push it.. lol

Boy I needed a good laugh

That video was so much fun. :haha :haha :haha Now how many nets are gonna be able be able to roll out their new system for HD? That is going to be more of a how many are really there than anything else.

If you look at some of the channels, all you have to do is put "HD" in the name of the channel, and it becomes an "HD channel". A&E HD comes to mind. :)

So, DirecTV can rename 100 of their SD channels, by putting "HD" in their names, upconvert them to 1280x1080 and ... voila !

I may be wrong, but I think this is the first time (in general) Direct TV has directly addressed what they think is going on at Dish Network. They have said the same thing on at least 2 other occasions in the last few weeks. It's kind of cooky. It indicates to me some level of desperation from Direct TV because Dish looks awfully good offering more than 30 HD national channels--the vast majority HD 24/7. Some member of the press ought to pin Direct TV down on how many of those 100 HD's are gonna be available to all subs and how many are going to be HD 24/7, like the VOOM channels.

Gosh... there are not 100 channels I could think of that would prompt me to open my wallet to pay for in HD... in fact if I could Al La Cart my current watched lineup it would have a hard time passing 75 channels (I am a 250+HD+HBO+SHO subscriber just to get the 75 I care to watch). Now I realize each person has their own tastes... and that is cool

Of course I am also the odd person that does not subscribe to a sports package... I would rather save my money and see a few games/races/tractor pulls/mud bog racing... in person :) something the very best HD still can not replicate or come close to replacing :)

Funny thing is Comcast is adding HGTVHD and FoodHD :neener . Poor poor D* subs, can only get NatGeo on sneak previews that the HR20 does not like to record (Mine personaly missed the ferrari factory 3 times :mad: )

Ya Comcast is right there on the cutting edge of offering HD content. Great score comcast. Apparently they have the capacity so why are they just now adding it.
Do I hear everyone say (DirecTV) is forcing everyones hand.

Ya Comcast is right there on the cutting edge of offering HD content. Great score comcast. Apparently they have the capacity so why are they just now adding it.
Do I hear everyone say (DirecTV) is forcing everyones hand.
Right on both counts. That rising tide is lifting all the boats. :)

Yeah, I like Comcast coming on strong along with D* and E*'s plans.

Comcast in our area (per a local Comcast guy on AVS) is adding capacity(they were kinda strapped) by moving some analogs to all digital and he said SDV will be going by years end.

Tivo S3 guys are getting ready for a hit.

What I think is funny is the obvious paranoia that is here that would cause a thead about DirecTV to exist in the Echostar forums. Wouldn't it be GREAT if they did have 100 HD channels soon?

Just got this D* release:

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. has added a news release to its Investor Relations website.

Title: DIRECTV Adds New HD Channels for Fall; Four Discovery HD Channels, Five Starz HD Channels, CNBC and Chiller to Join the HD Pack, More on the Way

Talk about counting chickens before they are concieved.

And Im not paranoid about D* at all, I could care less(as an ex D* customer) I just think its funny that they are behind E* and Comcast yet they make all these claims.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P4130030

Press Release
DIRECTV To Offer 100 National HD Channels in 2007

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2007 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

A&E
Bravo
Cartoon Network
CNN
Food Network
FX
HGTV
MTV National Geographic
NFL Network
SciFi Channel
Speed
TBS
The History Channel
The Weather Channel
USA Network
DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.

To satisfy the insatiable appetite for a greater number of movies in HD, DIRECTV will offer an expanded line-up of HD programming available from all premium movie channels.

"This is DIRECTV's break-out year for HD," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The launch of our two new satellites will complete the largest capacity expansion in DIRECTV history, and no other video service will be able to match the sheer volume and quality of our HD programming. With HD adoption now reaching critical mass in the U.S., and 40 million homes projected to have HD-capable TV's this year, DIRECTV will be uniquely positioned as the best choice for HD programming."

With the launch of DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 satellites in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as local HD broadcast channels in 49 cities, representing more than 65 percent of U.S. TV households.

I guess Im a moron because I really dont get the D* Envy. D* has said the same stuff for years. The delay in the sat launch is the only deviation I see from this release on Jan 7, 2007.

So whats the problem E*? Go back to your satellite farms and broken down tuners and worry about all of your E* problems.

Please stop insulting Americans. America chose D* over E*.

Do the math. D* has more subs than E* . America belives D* is the better product.

Its not our fault you chose some oddball programming with shoddy equipment and then yap over here about how D* stinks. :rolleyes:

You guys are number 3. Cable has the most subs, D* is second and bringing up the rear is E*. The snapple of TV providers, The RC Cola of soft drinks, The Davis Love the III of Davis Loves. Youre number 3. Almost insignificant.

What a bunch of internet tough guys. Make ya snappy lil comments and then hide behind the keyboard. Look I read the E* side there isnt the same jealousy that the E* people have. Why? because we are happy with what we chose.

Last edited:
What I think is funny is the obvious paranoia that is here that would cause a thead about DirecTV to exist in the Echostar forums. Wouldn't it be GREAT if they did have 100 HD channels soon?

Paranoia??????
Dude you need a reality Check:sleeo
Of course would be great for the industry,The problem that I have with Direct tv and their fans:rolleyes: is when they mislead their own and future prospects costumers advertising something they dont have.;) ;)

Who is mis-lead? You won't know until we are seeing what is there on December 31. Looks to me like they are in fact lining up the ducks. 28 days to sat launch. For sure the HD offering will be Double what will be on Echostar. Gonna switch?

Who is mis-lead? You won't know until we are seeing what is there on December 31. Looks to me like they are in fact lining up the ducks. 28 days to sat launch. For sure the HD offering will be Double what will be on Echostar. Gonna switch?

I think what we have here is a D* sub that is bored with his forums and likes to come over for arguments sake.

That being said, I do not like people who boast about what they DO NOT have. The sat is not even up yet and they have delusions of grandeur.

When the sat blows up in 28 days, you "gonna switch"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.