Switch to Direct??

jeremyburns007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Ok, I have Dish now, and I would love to have a HD DVR. However, the mythical 622 is gonna cost $300 and may never actually arrive. So, my question is:

Why would I not get one of Direct's "free" (with rebate) MPEG2 DVR's? I get my networks OTA and they just put TNT-HD on their package along with ESPN2HD and UniHD in MPEG2. Nothing on VOOM I couldn't live without.

Can anyone make a compelling argument to stay with Dish? Someone with more knowledge and long-term vision please reply.

Well, maybe I'm wrong.....

It says on directstartv.com that you get a $200 rebate on an HD DVR with a 2 year commitment. Thay may not make it free. It doesn't really say how much they are. They're probably $800 or something. I might call and see.

mcdeeee said:
Everything is HD-Lite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a good start but there is so much more. Jeremy, let me start by saying that why would you step backwards to a company that is just not getting TNTHD and Dish has had it for how long? I know, D got HD Lite locals before E but E is only a few months behind on that. Yes some Voom channels are totally worthless while others are awesome, it's a personal preference and will be different with everyone.

Now the 622 is not mythical as many of us have seen and even touched them and will be here soon. I really don't think you need us to answer your question as you should know the answer to that. Were all in a MPEG4 world now and why would you want to get a so called free receiver? And old saying we have "there is no such thing as a free lunch" There will be strings attached.

jeremyburns007 said:
It says on directstartv.com that you get a $200 rebate on an HD DVR with a 2 year commitment. Thay may not make it free. It doesn't really say how much they are. They're probably $800 or something. I might call and see.
I believe its $599 and there is a $200 rebate for it.

I'm personally going in the other direction. DirecTV will not be adding much more national HD until 2007. Its also HD-lite and the new non-tivo dvrs are pretty disappointing. 3/1 they go lease only. They plan a similiar $300 - $399 upfront lease charge and $5 a month for their next gen HD-DVR. Their customer service has really gone down hill since Rupert took control so there isnt even that as a plus anymore. Its such a shame. Too bad the two were not allowed to merge. We really could be kicking cable in the *** right now.

Thanks......

I guess I'll go back to waiting to hear something about the 622 when someone actually gets one.

Comcast just put up Universal HD in full rez 1080i. _HUGE_ difference between full rez and what DirecTV offers. I believe Dish is offering it in full rez as well. I'd definitely wait for a 622.

Another mad scientist - 522 drive swapping

DVR Q - realtime or recorded?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)