Switch to E*? / Rant about D* upgrades

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I used to have E* a year agoo and switched to D* because of poor service and will never go back to E* again

Just in case you weren't aware of it, 2 months ago, DISH HD customers ALSO had to upgrade to MPEG4 or lose about half of the HD offering (VOOM).

Both companies are transitioning to MPEG4 in order to be able to provide MORE HD channels - it is a needed transition, PERIOD. Also, it is pretty much agreed by all that the MPEG4 PQ is FAR BETTER than what is on in MPEG2. So you will benefit that way also.

That being said, these companies (like cell phone companies) offer NEW subs a better deal than existing subs. The sutdies show that MOST people are NOT going to change service providers that quickly - unless they have a major beef or problem with the current provider.

But, they do work with many of their eixisting customers to give them better deals than what are first offered. I would call and ask to speak to retention. Between discounts on equipment and service credits, they can make a good deal if your pay history and service has been good.

So why not switch instead of asking us to talk you out of it ? You should do what you think is best for you, not what someone else thinks. I like D* but I am an NFL fan. You're not so I think that without Sunday Ticket both services are about the same. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Because a good discussion here will help me make a more informed final decision. Simple as that.

Thanks for the links to the deal discussion, I'll check it out.

I realize they both upgraded to MPEG4....however I have to disagree w/ improved PQ from MPEG4. Where did you hear/read that? MPEG4 transistion had nothing to do w/ PQ and everything to do w/ bandwidth. I'm hearing several of the new MPEG4 encoder/decoders are having issues w/ blocking and such. Of course I haven't read that much and maybe I just don't know the whole story.

What I wasn't aware of is that E* customers were having to pay for upgrades to MPEG4. I was always under the impression that the boxes were maintained by E* and that included upgrades. That's why I started this discussion....to clear up and misconceptions that I had.

Maybe I'll give retention a call.....however, I have a bad habit of paying the bill right as the signal gets cut off. :eek:

Because a good discussion here will help me make a more informed final decision. Simple as that.

I realize they both upgraded to MPEG4....however I have to disagree w/ improved PQ from MPEG4. Where did you hear/read that? MPEG4 transistion had nothing to do w/ PQ and everything to do w/ bandwidth.

All you have to do is LOOK at someones set up that has the new MPEG4 set up.
MPEG4 has everything to do with the improvement in picture quality.
With MPEG4 you have MUCH MORE bandwidth available then with Mpeg2, therefore they have the ability to use the extra bandwidth to allow for a much crisper and detailed picture.

Jimbo

Well theoretically in the next year as even more HD channels get added, that might be worth 200 bucks. But for right now, all Directv's hard work has been just to sort of play catch up.

In the long run though, those 100+ HD channels are gonna be pretty awesome and everyone else is gonna be playing catch up for a while. I guess if you don't care about Sports though, I could see how it might not seem too special. Personally the idea of having all my league passes in glorious HD makes me really, really excited.

Those 100+ HD channel are going have to improve a whole lot more than the ones they just put up to be awesome. The ones now have played the same content over & over since the day they became live. I'm somewhat disappoint with content so far.

Those 100+ HD channel are going have to improve a whole lot more than the ones they just put up to be awesome. The ones now have played the same content over & over since the day they became live. I'm somewhat disappoint with content so far.

But thats not a PQ issue, thats a network problem.

there is no doubt you will get a better deal to switch to E; and, you will have more working HD right now..
whether or not you will be happier 12 months from now remains to be seen..

there is no doubt you will get a better deal to switch to E; and, you will have more working HD right now..
whether or not you will be happier 12 months from now remains to be seen..

12 months, heck me might not be happy in 3 days.;)

But thats not a PQ issue, thats a network problem.

Yes, I know you are right. HD is great, when it is HD, problem is everyone wants to say it is, when more times than not its not. Time will tell the true story. I know its not D's fault at all.

yeah, you have a point there!
Its hard to keep everyone happy now a days, especially when it comes to video services..I think the happiest folks out there are the Verizon FIOS crowd...

Ok, I decided to make sure I was comparing apples to apples.

D* just quoted me $198 to upgrade my DVR and one receiver if I sign a 2 year agreement. Apparently one of my receivers didn't need an upgrade (it's my roommates...didn't know what model he had.) I also found out I am still under contract until December. But I think cancelling is only about $15/month or something like that. To be honest, this is a lot cheaper than I expected.

E* just quoted me $49.99 activation fee (refunded 1st month) and no up front fees for the equipment.....just $12/month extra for 2 additional tuners. This is with an 18 month commitment. It seems that E* still treats the equipment the way cable providers do.....they own and maintain the tuners, you don't have to purchase it.

So no, I really don't have to shell out any cash for E*.
Except that you have to pay more for E* for HD and there is a seperate reciever fee if im not mistaken. Pay it up front or as you go basically. D8 usually will give deals on the equipment, I have a HR-20 and a H-20 and have paid nothing for them.

I realize they both upgraded to MPEG4....however I have to disagree w/ improved PQ from MPEG4. Where did you hear/read that? MPEG4 transistion had nothing to do w/ PQ and everything to do w/ bandwidth. I'm hearing several of the new MPEG4 encoder/decoders are having issues w/ blocking and such. Of course I haven't read that much and maybe I just don't know the whole story.

What I wasn't aware of is that E* customers were having to pay for upgrades to MPEG4. I was always under the impression that the boxes were maintained by E* and that included upgrades. That's why I started this discussion....to clear up and misconceptions that I had.

Maybe I'll give retention a call.....however, I have a bad habit of paying the bill right as the signal gets cut off. :eek:

About the Mpeg 4 being better? I didnt read it, I have seen it. It is much much better. No blocking at all!

At least for right now, the combination of bandwidth available from D*s brand-new satellite and the more efficient system of Mpeg4 is making for better picture quality on D*'s new HD channels. (Better than the Mpeg2 channels on the older sats, that is.)

There is no way to know if this will continue to be the case as this satellite fills up over the next few years. We can only hope.

Considering they would have to pass DC voltage from the receiver to the LNB to change the channel on the receiver, yes they do. When changing channels, the receiver sends a voltage &/or control tone to tell the multiswitch which sat to select and which transponders (odd/even) to use.
ok, ok, jeeeez, besides the grey hair and middle aged blindness I once again expose my age, When I was working on this stuff the only diplexers I worked with were basically reversed splitters which consisted of toroid coils with no dc pass thru, now there are diplexers that pass DC signals, buyer beware though,,, it seems if you need one to pass DC, they should be labelled as such.... do you think they will come up with a replacement for vaccumn tubes soon?

I believe that when E* Converted the MPEG2 Voom channels to MPEG4, E* contacted the customers impacted by the conversion and basically paid for the upgrade. Those impacted customers were contacted weeks in advance of the mid-august conversion.

I ended up getting D* to give me an HR20-100 for $99, then when the installers seriously screwed up (took 3 days to get an installer out) I got a $100 credit. So guess I'm up $1!

So guess I'm still a D* customer for a while.

I ended up getting D* to give me an HR20-100 for $99, then when the installers seriously screwed up (took 3 days to get an installer out) I got a $100 credit. So guess I'm up $1!

So guess I'm still a D* customer for a while.
Back in July my installer showed up with my 2 free HR20 to replace my HR10's. The thing is he showed up with three on my work order and told me "it's on the work order so it's yours". :D

Back in July my installer showed up with my 2 free HR20 to replace my HR10's. The thing is he showed up with three on my work order and told me "it's on the work order so it's yours". :D

Except that it's not really yours.... so you're paying $4.99/mo for a receiver you don't need and which still, technically, belongs to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts