SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
Which is more LNB power conservative-

1. receiver to diseqc to 22k then lnbs (8). this uses 1 diseqc and four 22ks

or

2. receiver to 22k to two 4by diseqcs then 8 lnbs. This uses 1 22k and 2 diseqcs.

this weekend i will be giving this a shot, but i default to the expertise of the folks here. i will be using my Openbox for this one.
Thanks
Kodaz

unless you get a ecoda brand 22k switch option 2 wont even work. All other 22k switches cant pass diseqc commands...the ecoda does

thanks Ice,

nod, the ecoda is all i buy. i was trying to do it with 4 ecoda 22ks, but i would lose the 8th lnb.

In the Switches Simplified FAQ, I suggested method #2, with one Ecoda and two 4x1 diseqc switches.
Mostly 'cause it just takes three switches instead of five.

I'd consider price not only of the original parts, but what I'd have to buy if I burned one of 'em out.
The Ecodas are cheap, but I have a big box-full of 50¢ 4x1 diseqcs, so I'd use two of those. ;)

Or, for choice #3:
There is an 8x1 diseqc switch that can do the job alone, but not all receivers will command it.
The receiver needs to support diseqc 1.1 mode; see Iceberg's review:
Digiwave 8x1 uncomitted switch

And do not even consider the Emp Centauri nor DMSI 8x1 switches (unless you have a serious need)
Only the Digiwave is recommended.

i am using the 1 22k with 2 diseqcs.
I am undecided on what bird to snag for the eighth one yet.
I have not starved for power yet.
I went back to the 4 lnbs on my bud and with a bit of tweaking, i was able to get 4080 in on bird 87.
It puts me at about 105 channels with no motor movements. There are many more, i just havnt the interest in them.
87c, 91c, 97ku, 125ku, 101ku, 99c, 103c, and one undecided yet.
Thanks for the info!! any ideas on a good 8th? i was on 30w, but i cant seem to stay up late enough to catch the good stuff.
Kodaz

8 birds seems to be ok. The openbox is handling the load fine.

Something is troubling me though, that dang signal bar is so small that i have to use binoculars to see it.
The zoom button on my remote just brings up a satellite list. I would rather not drag a tv outside. anybody got a better way see the signal bar on the openbox? That friggin thing should be about 10x bigger, what where they thinking?
Does the euro file have a bigger signal bar?
Thanks
Kodaz

Best I can tell working with switches, only the switches in the selected path will use any power, the OP's two examples will only have two switches drawing power no mater which way he does it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.