Switched from direct tv to dish

ESPhil

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I just got dish network installed today. I had direct tv previously and upgraded because of the deals advertised for a free dvr and hd tuner. I had a hdtv but no tuner for it and I decided to upgrade. They gave us a free 811 hd reciever and I forget which dvr it is. But it looks very clear. I read alot of people saying how they want to buy these recievers but they give them to you for free when you sign up for new service. Its nice not having to spend the cash on a new reciever. The HDTV channels look great but the sd channels don't look as good.

The DVR is the 625 and they had a new system which is really cool. For a 3rd reciever the dvr broadcasts to a remote and acts like the reciever. We are getting 6 months of free hd channels, free equipment, and all the money channels free for 6 months.:)

I have a suggestion for the sd channels On the 811 set the box to 480p when you watch the sd channels..they look much better that way..

ESPhil said:
The DVR is the 625 and they had a new system which is really cool. For a 3rd reciever the dvr broadcasts to a remote and acts like the reciever. We are getting 6 months of free hd channels, free equipment, and all the money channels free for 6 months.:)
Sorry to burst your bubble but your equipment isn't free! You are leasing the equipment from DISH for $5/Mo. built into your programming price. You will never own the equipment. If you had stayed with Directv you were eligible for a FREE HD receiver after rebate and a FREE DVR after rebate that you would actually own.:) :) :)

boba said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but your equipment isn't free! You are leasing the equipment from DISH for $5/Mo. built into your programming price. You will never own the equipment. If you had stayed with Directv you were eligible for a FREE HD receiver after rebate and a FREE DVR after rebate that you would actually own.:) :) :)

Yeah, but sometimes leasing isn't such a bad thing... especially in the times when a service provider decides to introduce a technology that makes everything else they had available before outdated (cough, MPEG4, cough).

Leasing is a great thing in this field, you have a life time warranty on the equipment and dont have to turn it in after 2 years and you dont have to pay an over mileage charge if you watch 12 hours of tv a day.

ESPhil said:
and all the money channels free for 6 months.:)

Are they really or only 3 months. If six you have a deal that I have not seen. Assuming of course you are talking about HBO.etc.

boba said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but your equipment isn't free! You are leasing the equipment from DISH for $5/Mo. built into your programming price. You will never own the equipment.

There is no $5 lease fee built-In.

There is a $5 fee built-in fee for Locals that lease customers get.
You could buy your own equipment and then decide not to subscribe to locals and save $5 if that is really important to you.

jtravel said:
There is no $5 lease fee built-In.
There is a $5 fee built-in fee for Locals that lease customers get.
You could buy your own equipment and then decide not to subscribe to locals and save $5 if that is really important to you.
You could try dropping locals but the $5 won't go away it is a lease fee not a local channel fee.:)

boba said:

not to be a jerk, but what would I want with Directv crap if I didnt have directv service? other then selling it....its useless.

boba,

The lease fee is just another name for the additional outlet fee. You pay no more to lease than you do to buy.

Also what good does owning D* equipment do you. You can't sell it to anybody. D* won't let you activate used equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)