Switching to direct tv Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beast37799

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
hi i would like to know a few things about direct tv . First im a 2 years dish customer but there utter lack of a stable hd recievers has left me little choice. First question when i switch what do they do with my echostar dish? Does dish want it back or dont they ? My second question is has anyone plugged in a direct tivo into the i beleve samgsung hd reciever which has svideo in and outputs ? Cause i highly doubt ill be recording otahd anytime soon but can atleast receive otahd and keep the dvr recording ablilties that i have come to enjoy. i want the hddvr but can wait for some timetill they have a better supply.My next question is the 5x8 mulitswitch is it included in standard installation? Also i have 2 sat lines running into my room is it possible for one of the lines be split so i can use the 2 turner directtivo and leave the second sat line for the hd reciever or do i need them to run a third line ? And finally does direct tv install an ota antenna for u for a fee ? I apreciate any other suggestion u all might provide and i thank u in advance for answering my questions

1) You will be given a new DirecTV dish, so you will not need the old Dish Network dish. If you own it you can sell it locally or on e-bay. their is a big market for them. 2)you can't record anything on DirecTivo other than what is being tuned by the unit. it can't record off of an externaly tuned feed, such as from cable box or HD Satellite box. in order to do this you will need a HD DVR (a stand alone HD DVR will only record off of a firewire connection, which DirecTV does not offer.) or a stand alone SD DVR, such a a regular tivo. You must get on the waiting list for the HD DirecTivo, if you want the most funcunality and best HD recording. the HD Tivo is by far the best DirecTV satellite receiver ever made, and is so much better than the dish 921. 3) you get a multiswitch built into your multi satellite tri LNB dish. 4) no you can not use a splitter with any satllite system, you need an other cable run from the dish tot he dual tuner Tivo. OR you can use one line and use a stacker-destacker. 5) if you make a deal with you local installer, they sometimes will install an antenna for a reduced rate or for free, but not much. you can get the upcoming deal for any DirecTV HD system with a an antenna install for only $50.

Call and ask DTV they are probably the only ones that can tell you. From my experience there is no one antenna that will work everyplace. $50 will barely cover the wholesale cost of a good antenna so who knows what you will get.

beast37799 said:
does anybody happen to know what antenna they install for $50

Tell them you are a DISH customer looking to switch and I bet they give you a great deal! They gave me a great deal!

beast37799 said:
can u tell me what sorta deal they gave u

I don't have HDTV but I was able to get a Samsung Directivo plus 2 RCA regular receivers and the triple LNB for just the $14.95 shipping, free installation. You may have to ask for this. Also, I get $10 off for 6 months on my bill. They will be more than happy to take a former DISH customer.

beast37799 said:
i just switched today however i have a few more questions can i go out and buy like 2 more direct tivos and install them myself or is there a limit on how many tivos i can get at once

Directv will only give you one a year or so I'm told, but you can go buy as many as you want at best buy or circuit city for $99 and all you pay is the extra receiver fee. Unlike DISH you can have as many DVR's as you want and they will not charge you a seperate DVR fee for each additional one.

What kind of deal did Directv give you?

Yes. In the setup (and the installer should do this) you can tell it that you only have one tuner hooked up.

Why not have the installer run a cable for the second tuner? It doesn't cost any extra.

I switched from Dish (Dishplayer 7200 + one other rcvr) to DirecTV last fall and now have 2 DirecTivos and 1 'vanilla' receiver. Believe me, you WANT THE SECOND TUNER AS SOON AS YOU CAN - it's great being able to keep watching one program while the 2nd tuner records a requested show!!

Mine came in handy when watching the Ranger game while recording it while recording The Simpsons Sunday night. I LOVE my directivo!

Neutron said:
Directv will only give you one a year or so I'm told, but you can go buy as many as you want at best buy or circuit city for $99 and all you pay is the extra receiver fee. Unlike DISH you can have as many DVR's as you want and they will not charge you a seperate DVR fee for each additional one.

What kind of deal did Directv give you?

Neutron, I just called and switched from Dish to Direct TV this afternoon. I wanted 3 rooms plus 1 room HD. They gave me the 3 rooms free (standard receivers & install) $299.00 for the HD receiver (free install), $49.00 for the OTA antenna, and $10.00 off Total Choice programming for 6 months. How did you get the free DirectTivo...I'd rather have one of those than the standard receiver.

rss79 said:
Neutron, I just called and switched from Dish to Direct TV this afternoon. I wanted 3 rooms plus 1 room HD. They gave me the 3 rooms free (standard receivers & install) $299.00 for the HD receiver (free install), $49.00 for the OTA antenna, and $10.00 off Total Choice programming for 6 months. How did you get the free DirectTivo...I'd rather have one of those than the standard receiver.

Believe it or not I talked to a customer rentention CSR and when I explained what my coworker got he said he would give me the same deal. I only had to pay $14.95 for shipping.

Neutron said:
Believe it or not I talked to a customer rentention CSR and when I explained what my coworker got he said he would give me the same deal. I only had to pay $14.95 for shipping.

Amazing. Even though I am not a current customer (until the install on Saturday) maybe I will call the customer retention people and see what I can swing. Would be awesome if they would substitute a DirectTivo receiver for one of the standard receivers. Does customer retention have a specific phone number?

rss79 said:
Amazing. Even though I am not a current customer (until the install on Saturday) maybe I will call the customer retention people and see what I can swing. Would be awesome if they would substitute a DirectTivo receiver for one of the standard receivers. Does customer retention have a specific phone number?

Not sure. It's been over a month and a half since I called them. Does anyone else know?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)