SWM install requested

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pontracer

Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
I only have one cable running from my current Dish setup to the single 211 receiver in my house. I've requested a SWM install with Direct, hoping to not have to run any additional cables from the dish to the house - as it is a long distance (200'). Am i correct in my assumption that a SWM install will eliminate the need for additional cable runs from the dish to the house?

D* spec say that the swm will not work mor that 125ft from the reciever without an amp which will cost extra if the teck will even take the chance on it working that far. We are told by my HSP that we are not to install any Ka/Ku dishes farther that 150ft. from the reciever and no more that 125ft from the power supply for the swm. It depends on what HSP your tech is from and what he is willing to do for you. As far as the swm, it depends if the tech has the equipment on his truck. If its like my HSP I can request swm equipment til I'm blue in the face and they send me what they want.

So the OP is jumping from Dish Net to DirecTV. :)

Welcome.

You might get lucky as a new DirecTV customer and get an SWM installation.

OP...don't follow...

Guess I'm not smart enough to understand the difference between the two companies that would let Dish work just fine at that distance (with a cheapie Radio Shack amplifier near the receiver end) and Direct not work. It must be the SWM?

What do I give up without the 2nd line to the receiver that the SWM facilitates? The ability to record a sat channel while watching another?

Not only will SWM not work, but the regular AU9 ODU will not work from 200'. They just need to much voltage and can not work that far. I have been to so many service calls that were having problems and they all have to move the dish to get it closer or no go.

Closer not really an option for me...thanks to a house buried in the woods.

Bummer! Maybe I have to wait for Charlie to get Speed HD after all...

At least my 211 w/ external hard drive works good...

How do I find out who my HSP is in advance of the install?

Closer not really an option for me...thanks to a house buried in the woods.

Bummer! Maybe I have to wait for Charlie to get Speed HD after all...

At least my 211 w/ external hard drive works good...

How do I find out who my HSP is in advance of the install?
call direct and ask them, they will give you the name and the number

What part of ohio? I work for skylink and my area services some of ohio. All the techs in this area are pretty good at their job and will do what they can for you, but it just might not be possible. But, I will say a swm dish is hard to come by from this company so be forewarned.

Xenia, Ohio...east of Dayton...

Sounds as if I may be screwed anyway...based on the distance from the dish to the receiver...

yep, we don't go that far from this area. You will probably get an employee in that area instead of a sub. Like you said, you are most likely screwed as far a signal is concerened, just don't take it out on the tech for not trying. If he installs it and it won't pick up, he then gets no pay for any of the work because the reciever wan't activated.

You can have the AU9 (Slimline Dish) with a SWM located next to the dish or have SWMLNB Dish installed installed 200' from your home & it will work just fine. SWM's output @ about -31dB after 200' of RG6 you will be @ about -50dB going into your RX. Power over the distance won't be an issue. SWM amps are available @ sonorastore part #[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, arial, Verdana, helvetica]LA141R
trans_1x1.gif
Price: $68.75 but you will not need the amp for a 200' run these guys don't know what the hell there talking about!
[/FONT]

You can have the AU9 (Slimline Dish) with a SWM located next to the dish or have SWMLNB Dish installed installed 200' from your home & it will work just fine. SWM's output @ about -31dB after 200' of RG6 you will be @ about -50dB going into your RX. Power over the distance won't be an issue. SWM amps are available @ sonorastore part #[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, arial, Verdana, helvetica]LA141R
trans_1x1.gif
Price: $68.75 but you will not need the amp for a 200' run these guys don't know what the hell there talking about!
[/FONT]

Well you come on here with your first post and say we don't know what the hell we are talking about.

I can tell you that a SWM LNB will not work at 200' period!

I can also tell you that the AU9 will be very sketchy at 200'.

There is a reason that D* does not reccomend installing them with more than 150' of cable, they don't work well much beyond that.

Why don't you take your internet knowledge and go crawl back under the rock that you came from.

Yep, and the way the new HDDVR's are set up, if you can't get the signal above a certain point, D* will not activate it. I'm sure if you explain to them that a newbie at Satelliteguys said it would be fine they will do it. HAHAHA

I do know what I am talking about and you ARE wrong. SWM will work at 200 ft. And I do many shows at convention centers and have run cable over 450 ft and not only got a signal but got all transponders.

Yes it can be done request a slim lnb if the tech wont do it then do it your self.. no swim lnb then have that fool run 4 lines direct to lnb and just a ground block b4 it enters your house then get a swm-8 swtich 200 or less on fleebay. hook it up and place the PI just b4 your HR-22 you shuld be in the clear.

Just finished a house with 9 junction points each has a swm-8 feeding it some 4 dvrs others 1 dvr rest HD single. longist run for swm to junction is 214 ft then used the Sanora amps to push an extra 75ft to each of the 4 dvr's Working like a Champ. no signal isues changel changes as normal and no lag switching from HD and 2000 chanel range.
Signal gear alown for that job was $7,000

All runs are solid coper Quad sheild rg-6 and from dish to controle room is 300 ft + of RG11
Can it be done YES!!! Can it Be done Right and Free probly not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.