Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigStein

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I just upgraded to SWM and they put this type of splitter on:

eCOST.com - Directv SWM 8 Way Splitter 2-2150 MHz - SPLIT8

I read on another site that the 8-way splitter can power 8 "tuners". It states here that it powers 8 "receivers". The other site said that hooking up more than 8 tuners would cause problems with the system. I have two DVR's and two HD receivers, for 4 receivers but 6 tuners. Don't want to cause problems should I add more in the future, so which statement is correct?

I just upgraded to SWM and they put this type of splitter on:

eCOST.com - Directv SWM 8 Way Splitter 2-2150 MHz - SPLIT8

I read on another site that the 8-way splitter can power 8 "tuners". It states here that it powers 8 "receivers". The other site said that hooking up more than 8 tuners would cause problems with the system. I have two DVR's and two HD receivers, for 4 receivers but 6 tuners. Don't want to cause problems should I add more in the future, so which statement is correct?

What kind of SWM do you have? Do you have a SWM LNB, meaning only 1 line is coming from your dish into your switch? Do you have a SWM 8 or SWM 16 multiswitch meaning 4 lines are coming in from your dish into the SWM 8 or SWM 16?

To answer your question though, that splitter can handle 8 receivers but unless you have a SWM 16 mulitswitch it can only handle 8 tuners because that's all the SWM LNB or SWM 8 multiswitch can handle.

Confused yet? LOL

Not so much confusing, just info. I did not have. They just put the SWM LNB on, so only one line coming from the dish currently (although I used to have 4, so the others are still there and just not used). So, looks like I can only do the 8 now and would need to replace the LNB and use the other lines should I upgrade in the future? Also, is there one place where I can find this technical info. so as to answer my own questions in the future?

If you need more than 8 tuners, you will need a SWM16 switch. That switch needs 4 lines from the dish and they will need to replace the LNB. At least for me, finding technical info for Directv has been hard to find. Solidsignal has some videos and documents for Directv products.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)