Tailgating setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoBoy

Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Texas
I'm sorry to be jumping in & I hope you will forgive me, I don't know if I'm in the right place or not. I'm new to the Form & I've been doing a lot of reading here, trying to understand and the more I read the more confused I get!! I just want to set-up a simple tailgating system, using my D12 rec. with my 18" dish (dual LNB). I connected a simple Satellite Finder in line but can't get to work!! I understand I need a "Power Inserter" or something to feed the LNB, OK but what size (??) and who carries them (??). How do I find out what SWM I have or using (??)
As you can see, I'm WAY OVER MY HEAD on this (from what everybody has been telling me is so simple). I'm sorry but I just don't know what or where to start.
Thank you for any advise you guy's can provide (except for putting a gun to my head).

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

First, take a deep breath! :)

An 18" dish with a dual lnb isn't a swm type so you don't need a power inserter. Just connect a cable from the lnb to the D12. Use the menu to find the right elevation, skew (tilt), and azimuth (compass direction). When you get the dish pointed close, you should show some signal. By moving the dish slowing to allow the receiver to register the changes, you should get the signal strengths in the 90s or so. Good luck, and don't be afraid to come back and ask more questions!

Thanks so much, I just did what you said but, I get a 771 code???
I can't get the "Menu" to come up on the TV.

Is the D12 normally connected to your "home" system, because if that is SWM the D12 will need to go through satellite setup with a change to the dish type.
First, connect the D12 to the 18in dish - you MUST do this first. Then go through the D12 menu, I don't have a D12 but it's probably something like settings, satellite, satellite setup. Change the multiswitch type to "multiswitch "( it will probably be set to SWM). Then change the dish type to 18in round.
The cheap satellite finders are a waste of time, because they don't tell you what satellite you are pointed at.
Get the correct azimuth and elevation from the receiver menu, or using dishpointer.com. Make sure your dish post is plumb. Set your receiver to show all the 101 satellite signal strengths. Set the correct elevation on the dish, then set the azimuth to about 10 degrees further to the left than the "correct" number. Slowly move the dish to the right. You should start seeing signals on most of the 101 transponders; as they increase, move slowly until some of the transponders hit the very high 90s (some transponders will be low or zero - they are "spotbeams" delivering local channels to other cities).

771 means you aren't getting a signal. Are you using a compass to point the dish?

Yes, Compass reading for my Ara Code is 182.2
Elevation: 56 Deg.
Dish is level.

I can not get to the "Menu" on the TV, no response from rec.!
I took everything into house, reconnected No Problems and was able to get into the "Menu" settings.
Thank you for spending time and trying to help, I know you most likely have better things to do.

:welcome to Satellite Guys :) You either aren't getting a signal or your card in front panel isn't in right

Thanks everybody for all the help, I got everything working great now!
My problem was, I failed to wait until the Receiver completed booting-up. I did no think it would take that long.

Once again, I want to thank everyone for the input! You people are GREAT!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts