Tailgating setup??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kb11

Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
South Carolina
Hi guys I have directv with 3lnb swm at my house. I just acquired a slimline dish with the 5 lnb from my dad. I wanna set this up as my tailgate dish how hard will this be and what do I need to do as far as set up goes. I have the base and power source. Should I buy a 3 lnb like I have at home would this make things easier? Any help is appreciated

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

3 or 5 lnb doesn't matter, but it would make it much easier to move your receiver/dvr back and forth if both setups are swm types.

What lnb would u purchase ? Mine at my house has two coax coming out of it so I'm confused a bit on if it's a single or more port lnb. I know I have a power inserted in my bed room. Could u walk me thru the setup I am pretty good at wiring just very new to satellite

What lnb would u purchase ? Mine at my house has two coax coming out of it so I'm confused a bit on if it's a single or more port lnb. I know I have a power inserted in my bed room. Could u walk me thru the setup I am pretty good at wiring just very new to satellite

Most SWM LNB's have only 1 output on the LNB, the older style without the power supply would have 4 outputs and would be a SLIMLINE, (Non SWM).

Are you saying you have two lines coming in from the dish? If so, you definitely don't have a swm lnb unless there is a swm8 or swm16 at the dish. Maybe you should give us a full description of your equipment.

I have hr24-100 in my bed room and hr24 DVr in main room... Slimline dish with one lnb on it I aassume that it is the 3lnb I have a power inserted in my bed room. I was thrown off buy the two coax as well I shouldn't need a power inserted though if it is now swm correct? If its not plugged in though no signal to receivers though. I just wanna be able to set up my spare slime line which has 3 lnb's on it for tailgating but that is not working. Note directtv guy said I have swm and it has a green stamp on the lnb itself if that helps

OK, you have SWM. Your easiest way to go from one dish to other is have the same exact setup in both places. I'd get this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWM-3-LNB-D...ellite_LNB_Downconverters&hash=item4d0623dfb9

It is a LNB, power inserter that will match what you have at home, just don't use the splitter.

If you stay with the 5lnb on the slimline for tailgating, you'll have to change the satellite config every time you leave and bring the receiver back, so twice per tailgate.

I have hr24-100 in my bed room and hr24 DVr in main room... Slimline dish with one lnb on it I aassume that it is the 3lnb I have a power inserted in my bed room. I was thrown off buy the two coax as well I shouldn't need a power inserted though if it is now swm correct? If its not plugged in though no signal to receivers though. I just wanna be able to set up my spare slime line which has 3 lnb's on it for tailgating but that is not working. Note directtv guy said I have swm and it has a green stamp on the lnb itself if that helps

If you go into your Menus you can see exactly what dish set up you have currently.
Menu/Settings/Info and Test/More System Info .... scroll to Dish Type .

For Example, Mine says:
Dish Type: Slimline-3S (SWM)

Are you sure you have 2 coax outputs on your LNB ?

If you go into your Menus you can see exactly what dish set up you have currently.
Menu/Settings/Info and Test/More System Info .... scroll to Dish Type .

For Example, Mine says:
Dish Type: Slimline-3S (SWM)

Are you sure you have 2 coax outputs on your LNB ?

Says I have a slimline 3s (swm). I swear I see two coax and has a ground coming off it.

KB,
Do you already have a spare Slimline dish for your Tailgate set up ?

I wonder if you happen to have a double coax running down from the dish, but only one connected at the LNB.

Yes have a spare it has an 3 eyed lnb not sure what kind it is... Guessing it's the 5 lnb but it has 4 coax ports

Hmm, one of the other guys will have to figure that out, if it has 4 coax outputs it would either be an older SWM or an Slimline (non SWM) I'm thinking it may be an older style SWM set up.
Does the 4 coax outputs run down to a Multiswitch and then into the recvrs ?
I'm trying to remember how the older set ups worked for sure.

You could get 2 newer ones and only use the single line set up.

Not sure I just took it off the side of his house... Not sure about anything else if I purchase the kit posted above would that solve my issues?

Four outputs is a non swm lnb. As has been suggested, getting the same setup as what you have at home will make switching gear easier. Yes, the kit that jcrandall posted is what you want.

Thanks for the help guys!! How would you run the set up? Coax to power inserter to receiver ? Do I need to ground the dish?

On the power inserter there are two ports. One says IRD and it goes to the receiver/dvr. The other goes to the dish. Technically the dish should be grounded, but since tailgating is temporary, it really isn't necessary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts