Taking hopper3 to vacation home not working anymore

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JasonP

Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Colorado
Hi, I have a primary residence with Hopper3 and 2 joeys. I have an off grid cabin in mtns 2 hours away. For the last year, with covid, my family was spending more time at cabin and doing everything remotely, so I had dish install a new dish at the cabin and we would just take our hopper and one Joey up whenever we were spending a few weeks there. It worked great, no phone calls, hassles, just plug and play.

Now, our use profile changed and are just going up maybe 2 weekends per month. I just tried taking my receiver with me again this last weekend (first time this year) and it was showing no signal from 3 satellites.

Anybody know what the deal is? There is no terms of service violation, dish approved this when I asked for the dish to be installed at the cabin. I’m wondering if some software update messed something up? Or I just don’t know.

I might call for a tech visit as I have dish protect silver, but if it is a matter of resetting receiver or something would be much better to fix myself than arrange to meet a tech at the cabin. I’ve done that before, a big hassle when in the middle of nowhere.

Any advice? Do I need to reset something?

Internet is different in both places but has always been that way.

I thought Hoppers identified the port they were set up initially on and changing it would not allow it to work. My understanding standing was that Wally receiver does not have this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are all channels showing no signal or only the local channels...The dish alignment may have shifted due to wind or other conditions. It only needs to move an inch or so to lose the signal. Dish and your Hopper don't know or care which dish location is being used.

I asked about the local channels because Dish has been shuffling some locals from CONUS beams to spot beams and that might have affected your situation. We would need more location information to determine if that's a possible issue.

If both dish/LNB sets are the same, it shouldn't be needed.
It shouldn't be needed, but is still advisable as a troubleshooting step to possibly fix the no signal issue. Also, as I think RONZ was trying to point out, it is important that the Hopper be connected to the Host port on the Hub each time you move it from one place to the other. Presumably, the OP is trying to connect the Hopper to the same TV location where it had been working before, so that part should not be an issue. However, the OP did not specifically say that, so it is possible that the Hopper is connected to the wrong port on the Hub, if it is now hooked up in a different room than before.

It shouldn't be needed, but is still advisable as a troubleshooting step to possibly fix the no signal issue. Also, as I think RONZ was trying to point out, it is important that the Hopper be connected to the Host port on the Hub each time you move it from one place to the other. Presumably, the OP is trying to connect the Hopper to the same TV location where it had been working before, so that part should not be an issue. However, the OP did not specifically say that, so it is possible that the Hopper is connected to the wrong port on the Hub, if it is now hooked up in a different room than before.
I agree it won't hurt and may help to run the switch test, but as far as the connections go, I'd expect with a professional installation that all that would be needed would be to park the receiver and connect the coax the installer left before plugging the receiver in. It won't hurt to double check of course, but I'm still on the dish aiming page with this one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
"No Signal from 3 satellites" is indicative of an issue with wiring and/or dish alignment problem not an account issue. If you don't connect the receiver to phone or internet they (Dish) can't find out where your receiver is. If your receiver did "phone home" and it got flagged from being not-where-it's-supposed-to-be you would see a message about the receiver is not activated or you're not authorized to see this channel or something along those lines.

You can go ahead and try the reboot and check switch. If I were you my next step (if you're comfortable getting up to the dish) would be seeing if you can see the bolt that holds the dish's elevation setting. If you see a 'rusty' spot where the bolt used to be and you can move the dish up/down by hand, well there's your problem... or if you can move its azimuth (left/right) by hand, there's your problem. If that's good, next check for rusty or bad end connectors.

Or yeah, call tech support for a visit.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts