Taking the Plunge Tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No $40 fee anymore.

I think you will like it i love by 410.

I would have to disagree with the statement that its outdated. Heres why its a work horse it was design for cable companys its fast it does not freeze like my dishnetwork 612 the guide loads super fast you go channel surf like old analog cable plus wait till it starts raining cats and dogs.

I have a 410 in my mancave and love it the PQ kills DN and DTV. If you want a dvr you can add tivo or a homebrew dvr system perhaps something like mythtv.

Plus its something different and i am a geek and don't want what everyone else has.

I have a dsr-920 and 922 but the only thing i have subbed is a 410 because it just works. (How many people do you know still watching DN thur a model 3000?)

I can't believe i am going to say this but sometimes Motorola builds things that just last.

Last edited:
Agreed. The 410 is a simple system, and fits the lifestyles of people who don't want "hundreds of channels" but some decent "core" channels for entertainment. We have two new installs coming up when the weather breaks in my area, friends who don't want a contract with the pizza guys, and despise the local cable company. (like me.). I love bringing people to this, and I agree that as compared to standard definition of other methods, it just looks nice.. Even the guy I am selling-to and installing a system for is an HD nut, but agrees that modern TVs can made a good SD picture look better than ever. Hope our (subscriber) numbers grow! And, hopefully we're just icing on the cake for the HITS system, thus not a worry for longevity.

As of 5:15PM EST Sunday February 27, 2011 PopcornNMore is officially a X4 subscriber to the Digital Basic Pack via Skyvision and created a webSAMS account.

First impression: I like it!!!

The real test will be how well my wife and daughter like it who are currently away for the night.

Question: Should I keep the receiver ON at all times like a Dish Network / DirecTV receiver, so it can get updates?

On or off doesn't seem to matter to mine, except that if you turn it off the "favorites" defaults to "all channels" like the 4DTV did. As someone has pointed out in the forum threads, the 410 has a continuous update situation, vs. a "once at night" situation" so, once you're online with it, the guide should load no problem and work continuously. It "trickles in" at all times.

As of 5:15PM EST Sunday February 27, 2011 PopcornNMore is officially a X4 subscriber to the Digital Basic Pack via Skyvision and created a webSAMS account.

First impression: I like it!!!

The real test will be how well my wife and daughter like it who are currently away for the night.

Question: Should I keep the receiver ON at all times like a Dish Network / DirecTV receiver, so it can get updates?

Excellent! Welcome to the C band subscription side. I have been a subscriber to C band since 1987 and digital C band since 2006.

You can turn the box off it will take it's update info.
:welcome :up:up

Excellent! Welcome to the C band subscription side. I have been a subscriber to C band since 1987 and digital C band since 2006.

You can turn the box off it will take it's update info.
:welcome :up:up

The last time I subscribed to C band was in the 80's with the videocipher II. I'm in awe of the picture quality using composite outputs. If it was only me in the house I would drop Dish Network tomorrow.

One thing I'm noticing is that it is really easy to see the channel name, channel number and program description and program time when changing channels compared to Dish Network.

Agreed. The 410 is a simple system, and fits the lifestyles of people who don't want "hundreds of channels" but some decent "core" channels for entertainment. We have two new installs coming up when the weather breaks in my area, friends who don't want a contract with the pizza guys, and despise the local cable company. (like me.). I love bringing people to this, and I agree that as compared to standard definition of other methods, it just looks nice.. Even the guy I am selling-to and installing a system for is an HD nut, but agrees that modern TVs can made a good SD picture look better than ever. Hope our (subscriber) numbers grow! And, hopefully we're just icing on the cake for the HITS system, thus not a worry for longevity.

I have a client with the 410 system for a couple years. He caned cable and enjoys HITS2Home. The Picture Quality is good on HITS as is and looks good on a HDTV. I made my DirecTV SD look good on my HDTV but I have it running through an invention with active video processing I built a few years back to remove digital artifacts. Without it the artifacts show there ugly head unlike HITS.

We need to keep numbers going up and keep SRL & Skyvision interested on adding more channels. Now that NPS is out of the picture so is all the bad press. Now we can move forward again :)

The last time I subscribed to C band was in the 80's with the videocipher II. I'm in awe of the picture quality using composite outputs. If it was only me in the house I would drop Dish Network tomorrow.

I'm glad your happy with the PQ. Composite can look quite good on the DC-2 they don't downrez like pizza. Dish network is the worst offender with compression since they cram 14+ channels in one transponder plus downrez. Direct is better then Dish but HITS looks the best. Only the masters look better (they are killer! now we can only enjoy them when ITC :().

I'm thinking of taking the plunge too. We've got the welcome pak from dish with the encore package,that I got for the wife last year, she watches it. She will watch my FTA stuff if I turn it on,but won't touch the remote or the receiver lol. Maybe the 410 will give her more to watch and once she sees that it works with my big dish she'll be a little more accepting of my hobby..maybe. Looks like a little better choice of channels with skyvision for around $24 when compared to SRL. Bonus -HGTV E&W, LMN,RFD, and SPEED with Skyvision. She likes the Style channel so that will make her happy. Hopefully this will help keep cband going for a long time. I'd love to see more channels added eventually...Blind

I'm thinking of taking the plunge too. We've got the welcome pak from dish with the encore package,that I got for the wife last year, she watches it. She will watch my FTA stuff if I turn it on,but won't touch the remote or the receiver lol. Maybe the 410 will give her more to watch and once she sees that it works with my big dish she'll be a little more accepting of my hobby..maybe. Looks like a little better choice of channels with skyvision for around $24 when compared to SRL. Bonus -HGTV E&W, LMN,RFD, and SPEED with Skyvision. She likes the Style channel so that will make her happy. Hopefully this will help keep cband going for a long time. I'd love to see more channels added eventually...Blind

I've never heard of this DN welcome package before. 1) Can existing customers get it? 2) How much is it? I want to cancel DN completely, but this package might help to please the wife and daughter.

About 5-6 years ago I purchased two DSR-410 receivers for only $10 each on EBay from a guy who had over 100 in stock and nobody else was bidding. I could of purchased many more for only $10 each and I could kick myself today for not doing so. One of these two receivers is the one I used to subscribe to X4 programming today.

This is why I'm also hanging onto my two near perfect condition VOOM DSR-505 receivers. Who knows these might be used again too in the future due to their HD output and digital OTA tuner.

I've never heard of this DN welcome package before. 1) Can existing customers get it? 2) How much is it? I want to cancel DN completely, but this package might help to please the wife and daughter.

Glad to hear you added service. Welcome to the better side :)

Yes if you own your equipment. Its only $10 however you may have to get locals with it now so could be $14.99

Can you have 2 410 receivers on the same account.

Yes and No. You can have as many recievers on an account as you want however each receiver will need its own subscription.

1. yes
2. 14.99 with locals

channels with package (disregard the "added" on the side...this is from a post where I compared the old version and the new one)

AMC
Bloomberg
Boomerang
CMT
Comedy Central
Food Network
Hallmark
Home & Garden Television (ADDED)
History
HSN
ICTV (ADDED) (just a shopping type channel)
MSNBC
MTV2
Oxygen
QVC
ShopNBC
TBS
TLC
The Hub (formerly Disc Kids)
WE: Women's Entertainment
The Weather Channel

Years ago when I had pizza I always shut my receivers down but left them on standby. I was not aware of leaving them on. :confused:

My father-in-law shuts down the surge protector for his TV and equipment at night every night! :what

One time I borrowed his receiver to watch something at my house. When he completely shut down his system every night it seemed to hang on to old sub info. I finished a movie at 11:00 and then poof all of his extras that he hung on to for about 6 months were gone! He usually shut down before 10:00 and I did not! He had a movie package and canceled it but kept a different package. Like I said the movies stayed for like 6 months until I goofed it up. :eek:

About 5-6 years ago I purchased two DSR-410 receivers for only $10 each on EBay from a guy who had over 100 in stock and nobody else was bidding. I could of purchased many more for only $10 each and I could kick myself today for not doing so. One of these two receivers is the one I used to subscribe to X4 programming today.

The 410's are quite a bit higher now on Ebay! :eek:

Now there is no longer a $40 activation fee so that money saved now has to go to pay for the higher priced receivers! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.