Taligate help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

golfingomez

Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Lewisville
Hey guys, trying to set up my directv service that i have at my apt at my tailgate for this saturday...

I currently have a pretty new receiver and the complex uses a 'Slimline-5' receiver... we get hd channels and all that crap.

my question is, if i have a basic 18' dish can i set that up at the tailgate and just get SD channels? and if so... how come the receiver cannot recognize the dish?

thanks for any and all help

:welcome to Satelliteguys!
The 18" dish should work fine with the hd receiver/dvr, but you must go into the menu and change the satellite type to 18" round. Make sure to change it back when you reinstall it in your apartment.

It sounds like it's an MDU receiver, it's possible it's a new H25 and what's on the roof is really a SWM5 and if that's the case the 18' won't work but any other receiver will. Try changing satellite settings to an 18' and switch to multiswitch. Hope this helps!

I forgot about the H25 models. They only work with a Slimline dish.

raoul5788 said:
I forgot about the H25 models. They only work with a Slimline dish.

Yup, but I'm wondering though because it's not saying 771a saying it's got a problem communicating with the dish so I'm wondering if he don't have another issue.

It would help if we knew which recvr he's dealing with as well.

He mentioned Tailgating, and then the Complex ?

He'd be better off setting up a dish on a tripod and know for sure that he can communicate with the dish.

Make sure, as others have mentioned, that you go thru the "Repeat Sat Set Up" menu.

yes... I'm getting a 771a error...

what happens is, that my apt complex offers dtv as their tcv service... so i bought my own dish/tripod/etc to take out to games(the dish is just the basic 18' directv model)

the apt complex has the SWM 5 i believe...

i tried to re-set the satellite on repeat installation, but it seems like the receiver isn't recognizing teh satellite... and i doing something wrong?

also, the receiver model is an H24-700

yes... I'm getting a 771a error...

what happens is, that my apt complex offers dtv as their tcv service... so i bought my own dish/tripod/etc to take out to games(the dish is just the basic 18' directv model)

the apt complex has the SWM 5 i believe...

i tried to re-set the satellite on repeat installation, but it seems like the receiver isn't recognizing teh satellite... and i doing something wrong?

also, the receiver model is an H24-700

Assuming that the mast is plumb and the skew setting is at least close to correct, I suspect your azimuth is off. Finding the signal can be tricky. Patience is the key!

With it NOT being a SWM LNB on an 18 dish you new to change it yourself from SWM to round 18 and change the switch type to multiswitch (even if you don't have a multiswitch in the system)

It's important when you go through satellite setup (when you are connected to the 18in dish) to select "multiswitch" FIRST and then the 18in dish will be available as a dish type selection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.