Talk Me Off the Ledge

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
6MBPS is fine for Roku. I am forever surprised someone would be EXTREMELY annoyed by losing one tv program, one that can be seen easily other ways.

As for the offers, yes, when you switch from Direct TV to Dish the same circumstances happen. But at this particular time, with the free Roku and reductions given by Dish for losing AMC, the amount saved is not nearly as much as in the past to switch. If the programming is better for you with Direct TV, and in the end you can save alot of money, no reason not to switch. As mentioned just remember you can't view the EHD programs ever again if you have one once disconnected.

I was a 12 year Dish customer and used to work for them. I made the switch a few months ago myself. I wanted HD on all my TV's and DVR. For me the HR34 is one heck of a unit. Yes it takes a little getting used to the differences from the Dish Dual Tuners but it's not that bad. Learning where all my channels are is taking me longer.

The savings over Dish is huge. Plus if they don't get AMC back before Walkin Dead I would have been gone.

6MBPS is fine for Roku. I am forever surprised someone would be EXTREMELY annoyed by losing one tv program, one that can be seen easily other ways.

As for the offers, yes, when you switch from Direct TV to Dish the same circumstances happen. But at this particular time, with the free Roku and reductions given by Dish for losing AMC, the amount saved is not nearly as much as in the past to switch. If the programming is better for you with Direct TV, and in the end you can save alot of money, no reason not to switch. As mentioned just remember you can't view the EHD programs ever again if you have one once disconnected.

I am forever surprised that someone would assume that because 'one tv program' is not important to him, then it cannot be important to anyone else. And it's not just the 'one tv program'; Dish's action is once again indicative of what appears to be Dish's corporate philosophy of 'screw the customer, they'll take whatever we choose to give them.' Remember that I've been a Dish customer for 14 years, and during those 14 years, I've put up with a lot of Charley Crap, so maybe it is time for me to leave.

'can be seen easily other ways'? What ways? Hulu? Netflix? Whatever ways you're suggesting, they won't be as easy as tuning to channel 130 (I think that was AMC's channel number). When Charley removed those channels, he didn't reduce my monthly bill.

I have not been offered a free Roku nor a reduction in my monthly bill. I know I can call and play CSR roulette and try to get a free Roku and/or a reduction in my monthly bill, but why should I have to call in order to get something in exchange for Charley taking away something? Why doesn't Dish automatically reduce everyone's monthly bill? That's a rhetorical question because I know why.

Tampa8, i appreciate your taking the time to respond :), but I'm already in a PO'd mood because of something unrelated to Dish :mad:.

Richard

I am forever surprised that someone would assume that because 'one tv program' is not important to him, then it cannot be important to anyone else. And it's not just the 'one tv program'; Dish's action is once again indicative of what appears to be Dish's corporate philosophy of 'screw the customer, they'll take whatever we choose to give them.' Remember that I've been a Dish customer for 14 years, and during those 14 years, I've put up with a lot of Charley Crap, so maybe it is time for me to leave.

'can be seen easily other ways'? What ways? Hulu? Netflix? Whatever ways you're suggesting, they won't be as easy as tuning to channel 130 (I think that was AMC's channel number). When Charley removed those channels, he didn't reduce my monthly bill.

I have not been offered a free Roku nor a reduction in my monthly bill. I know I can call and play CSR roulette and try to get a free Roku and/or a reduction in my monthly bill, but why should I have to call in order to get something in exchange for Charley taking away something? Why doesn't Dish automatically reduce everyone's monthly bill? That's a rhetorical question because I know why.

Tampa8, i appreciate your taking the time to respond :), but I'm already in a PO'd mood because of something unrelated to Dish :mad:.

Richard

Richard:

I can't talk you off the ledge if you have never had DirecTV before you may like it better.The only way is to try it.Good Luck!:)

As to csr roulette,the number I posted isn't the normal dish number.It is specifically for customers that are missing the AMC shows.You talk to first person tell them about the shows you are missing and either they transfer you to loyalty or you can ask them to.It's really quite painless and doesn't take long at all.If your not willing to do that then there is no point in sticking with dish.

You have to be willing to switch providers often to keep the content you want these days. Whoever has the content on my list gets my business. It's as simple as that. So if DirecTV has the content you want, you're much better off switching. You get AMC back plus all the new customer discounts. You really have nothing to lose. I had DirecTV for many years before I got Dish, and was very happy until they fell so far behind in HD. Now I have cable, and am very happy to have AMC and several channels both Dish and DirecTV are missing. So as long as you know what you're getting when you land, go ahead and jump.

This is why I would rather buy and own my equipment. No contracts switch to whomever has what I want at any given time. So far Dish is still for me. Directv only leases now, so I doubt I would ever go there again and cable isn't competitive price wise, but I would jump there temporarily if there was something I really wanted to see.

I was with Dish for 4 years, and I just made the switch to D* last month. I have the HR34, and 3 other HD T.V.'s. I can tell you that I am 100% happy with the switch. Having 5 tuners on the DVR is awesome. No conflicts when recording programs. The PQ is excellent, a touch better than my 722 with Dish. I now have all of my NY RSN's, and will be able to watch the Walking Dead without a Roku.
Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump.

I'm gonna just throw this out there...Richard doesn't really want to be talked off of the ledge.

You might be right. I just don't want to be pushed, and several times over the past 14 years, I think I've felt Charley's hands on my back, pushing.

I'm going to call the number suggested by Teehar and see what carrot they might offer me. 14 years is a long time to be with one company, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't know :D .

Good luck with the call. Dish is currently offering some subs HBO for half off for 6 months, maybe 3 months of Starz for half off as well. You may want to bring that up.

Good luck. Don't feel bad about searching for alternative options. Just remember, for single receiver customers, Dish is probably cheaper over the long term. Though that may not be the case for AEP customers.

Ive been able to receive starz hbo multi sports pack free for 3 months and cinemax for 1 year for .01 a month plus $10 off for 12 months

Just ask and see what they can work out

Good luck with the call. Dish is currently offering some subs HBO for half off for 6 months, maybe 3 months of Starz for half off as well. You may want to bring that up.

Good luck. Don't feel bad about searching for alternative options. Just remember, for single receiver customers, Dish is probably cheaper over the long term. Though that may not be the case for AEP customers.

I would say it is for AEP customers. Virtually any customer with one or two receivers will pay less with Dish, short term new customer promotions not included.

as a person who has switched from dish to directv, i dont see myself going back.
im more then happy with the change
im paying @ 5-10 more per month, but have 2 tvs instead of 1

Here's what I would do, I would price out what package you want with Direct, see what the total cost for 24 months would be (length of the contract) and see what the average cost per month is. Then I would contact Dish retention and see what they would do for you, compare the two average costs and make a decision based on that info. I dunno, can the DIRT team help get a better deal?

I switched from Dish to Direct in Jan 2011 (after Dish dropped the Absolute HD package), when my contract is up in January 2013 I'll take a look at what Dish is offering, see if any deals can be had with Direct after all my promo/new sub credits run out and decide what is the best deal for our viewing habits. I'm not crazy about changing but I'll do the "satellite shuffle" in order to save money. I would also make a change because of a "significantly viewed channel and/or programs" being dropped for two reasons: being unhappy with the loss and letting the company know that I'm voting with my wallet, you don't get my money anymore because of your actions. As a side note, I will never understand why service providers do not attempt to retain their customers who have the most expensive package (AEP in your case), makes no sense to me.

You might be right. I just don't want to be pushed, and several times over the past 14 years, I think I've felt Charley's hands on my back, pushing.

I'm going to call the number suggested by Teehar and see what carrot they might offer me. 14 years is a long time to be with one company, but sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't know :D .

Keep us posted on how it goes.

The only reasons to stay with DISH would be they still have more basic HD channels and their channel logos EPG is so purty(In the VIP922 and Hopper).;):D

I had a bill reduction this past month from the month before. I figured it had to do with AMC maybe. I have both DIRECTV(3 HD DVR's,HR22-100,HR23-70,& HR24-500,& 2 HD receivers,H24-700 & H25-500) & Dish Network(2 ViP722k's,each with a Logitech Revue & Sling Adapter,& 1 ViP211k). I go back & forth using either my Dish receiver/DVR or DTV receiver/DVR & say "it's just TV." With 6 tuners to record with under whole home DVR,I don't see the need to get a HR34,& I was sitting on a 722k for well over a year just waiting to be able to cut down enough trees to get LOS for Dish,so I didn't,& don't.see a need to upgrade to the Hopper when I own outright all of my present ViP DVR's/receiver(especially when you can't integrate them into a Hopper/Joey system set-up).

I'm about in the same boat as the original poster.

I'm considering jumping to DirecTV, but I don't want to lose the functionality of my 922 and we also watch the EPIX channels quite often. Those are really my main two sticking points. I'm trying to decide if I can mitigate the loss of watching The Walking Dead live.

I had a bill reduction this past month from the month before. I figured it had to do with AMC maybe. I have both DIRECTV(3 HD DVR's,HR22-100,HR23-70,& HR24-500,& 2 HD receivers,H24-700 & H25-500) & Dish Network(2 ViP722k's,each with a Logitech Revue & Sling Adapter,& 1 ViP211k). I go back & forth using either my Dish receiver/DVR or DTV receiver/DVR & say "it's just TV." With 6 tuners to record with under whole home DVR,I don't see the need to get a HR34,& I was sitting on a 722k for well over a year just waiting to be able to cut down enough trees to get LOS for Dish,so I didn't,& don't.see a need to upgrade to the Hopper when I own outright all of my present ViP DVR's/receiver(especially when you can't integrate them into a Hopper/Joey system set-up).
Jebus... your electric bill from all those receivers must equal my Dish Network bill!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)