Tapping into cable wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kewltea

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I currently have cable and every room has a hookup. Is there a way I can utlilize the cabling to hook up my Sat dish?

What grade of cable is it? What satellite are you talking about? What receivers (helps to know as some use dual feeds)

I have diplexed my cable and sat(dish) feeds successfully without issues, but never with FTA stuff so I can't report first hand experience there.

What grade of cable is it? What satellite are you talking about? What receivers (helps to know as some use dual feeds)

I have diplexed my cable and sat(dish) feeds successfully without issues, but never with FTA stuff so I can't report first hand experience there.

No clue about the cabling. No clue even where to look for. I"m looking to hook it up with a 31in fortec dish for fta

Or you could use a multi-switch, a 3x or 5x or one with an antenna input. You would still need the diplexors, mentioned in the above post (#4), one for each TV, to separate the signals..

any clue where i can find the source of the cable?

You can look at the markings on the cable to check whether it is RG6 or RG59.

If it is RG6, then you should be fine. Now, check the splitter(s) used. You will need to change any CATV grade Splitter (5-1000MHz) to a Satellite grade splitter (5-2300MHz) with DC pass on all legs.

After that, you will need to use a diplexer on each cable outlet.

Good luck to you.

Also, follow all the cords! We bought our house in December of last year. Prior residents had both cable and satellite at various times (I got in to fta by fiddling with the old direct tv dish and receiver that we found in the basement)... coax was all over the place... I finally ended up taking it all down and using bits and pieces in addition to some new rg6 to wire things up to get fta working.... Now I've got tons of coax in the house, but they go where I want and are neat and tidy, not a bundled mess like a tangled spider web running everywhere....

If it is RG6, then you should be fine. Now, check the splitter(s) used. You will need to change any CATV grade Splitter (5-1000MHz) to a Satellite grade splitter (5-2300MHz) with DC pass on all legs.

I'm looking to do the same thing. What's DC pass?

Diplexers will introduce approximately 3 dB signal attenuation, so use sparingly (3dB is roughly equal to a doubling of signal strength). We usually not recommend using diplexers in FTA installations. They can be used successfully, but if you can run an additional wire, you will have a much better signal especially critical for weaker transponders.

If you wish to connect multiple receivers, use a dual output LNBF connected to a multi-switch in place of the cable splitter along with the diplexer at each outlet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)