I'm watching FTA!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
Thanks for all the help from everyone I was able to get things up in running I still have some loose ends to tie up like trimming some trees, cleaning cableing, I also need to adjust my polar mount more since I am not tracking the arc completly, I am rx'ing everything from 72 degrees to 103 degrees with pretty much 80 signal strength and 80 PQ nothing lower than 70. I think I must not be tracking the arc b/c after 103 I do not see a thing on the spectrum analyzer so I must not be tracking the arc completely. For now I am running out of daylight and weekend so I am going to leave thing until next weekend I got plenty of channels to watch as is! If anyone has any suggestions on tips/tricks for polar mounts I'm all ears. Here are some pics. I'll probably have more questions as I get into things.

Attachments

• DSC00070.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 231
errr.....how big is that dish and what type of wind loading capabilities does that tower have - as its obviously free standing and not guyed.

Thats a rohn 25g, I checked around with some people and they have done these types of installs with that very dish, and that rohn 25g with where I have the house bracket, I will be fine business! A 20mph wind will create 60 lbs of force and at the 20 foot mark and where I have my house bracket the rohn 25g is more than sufficent to handle that type of load. No to mention the massavie foundation on that thing. I also only have one small antenna at the top. I made sure to pull the engineering drawings and consult a tower climber. I also had to research what wind zone I am in to dertermine what exactly I can load the tower with. Rest assured I did me research so this thing doesnt come down, you are correct in your thinking that this is a large dish with a large wind load that is why it is kept low on the tower.

RidgeRunner,
Great job! Thanks for the pictures. I love to see the ingenuity people have.
Bob

Thats a rohn 25g, I checked around with some people and they have done these types of installs with that very dish, and that rohn 25g with where I have the house bracket, I will be fine business! A 20mph wind will create 60 lbs of force and at the 20 foot mark and where I have my house bracket the rohn 25g is more than sufficent to handle that type of load. No to mention the massavie foundation on that thing. I also only have one small antenna at the top. I made sure to pull the engineering drawings and consult a tower climber. I also had to research what wind zone I am in to dertermine what exactly I can load the tower with. Rest assured I did me research so this thing doesnt come down, you are correct in your thinking that this is a large dish with a large wind load that is why it is kept low on the tower.
wow only 20 Mph?? Where do you live?

how big is it ??

In a previous thread....
I have a 1.2m channel master dish.
And yes, it's quite a beaut!

See if you can get us a nice close-up shot with the sun behind the camera.
Is that a jackscrew you got up there, or are you just happy to see us?

Wow. Good job. I would sure hate to climb that tower and try to mount that big old dish. If I ever need to do it, I will be sure to give you a call.

That is one AWESOME looking setup (both the tower and the dish)!

I've got the same tower taken apart in four sections on the side of my house. Someday I'll repaint it and build it :)

Nice magnetic loop on top! What band is it for?

I had toyed with mounting the 90cm Fortec on my 35' ham radio antenna tower but since it's a self-supporting tapered style, trying to get the motor mounted plumb would have been an absolute pain.

Nice job. :)

moxon

Nice magnetic loop on top! What band is it for?

I had toyed with mounting the 90cm Fortec on my 35' ham radio antenna tower but since it's a self-supporting tapered style, trying to get the motor mounted plumb would have been an absolute pain.

Nice job. :)

That is a 6 meter moxon! pretty neat antenna I use in on 6 meters AM with a old civil defense goonie box, nice sound'n station I even have the matching 100 watt amp, I have some real smoke when I lite off those tubes, guys on the radio joke around and call me the super station of North Raymond. Just so you know I believe they make mounts that would accomodate the tapered tower.

I know that putting my dish 20 feet up on my tower isnt the most ideal location like the ground or my roof, but I had all the parts free to do this. Its not so bad my climbing harness has a built in seat so I throw the avcom on my shoulder climp up, secure the avcom to the tower then my butt! Its not so bad, but I'm still a young buck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)