Team Summit Discussion Thread

The content providers need to put their collective foot down and put a no down-res clause in their contracts.

NightRyder

riffjim4069 said:
Sean, I hate it when you sugar coat things...tell us how you really feel.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I love the VOOM channels but I am SICK & TIRED AND FED UP with VOOM-Lite...and all the double-talk, finger-pointing, and rhetoric we've been hearing since...what?...last October or November? Dish Network and Rainbow Media have been deceiving their customers, and lying to SatelliteGuys members & staff for the past 7-8 months. It's time to stop our "wishful thinking" in that someone on Fantasy Island will magically correct this nonsensical fiber problem, and start "demanding" answers!

We can start by renaming the VOOM HD Programming Forum to the VOOM HD-Lite Programming Forum since both Dish Network and VOOM are both culpable and can share the blame. Let's not sugar coat our feelings nor appease any of these yutzes in the hope that one day, out of the goodness of their greedy little hearts, they will provide us with the HD services we're paying to receive. Last time I looked I was paying for DishHD...not DishHD-Lite!!!:mad:

I sure would like to do it but you need more than my support to rename the forums to HD Lite. You need pub members, members and staff to do it. I am all for it since I am sick and tire of hearing excuses and blame the other party.

I think scott should have a locked topic, so he can post the updates/photos from his trip, and then we can all fight / complain in another... i don't want to read through all the crap just to get scott's updates.... then after he's done open it up.

NightRyder said:
The content providers need to put their collective foot down and put a no down-res clause in their contracts.

NightRyder

For fear of this saying "you're exactly right" becoming a habit, you're exactly right..........again. Actually, now I forget what it was you said but I know you were right about it:D

Eventually (and I think sooner rather than later) the producers WILL put their foot down and that combined with a bill like McCain is getting ready to introduce that could make "alacart" a reality, will force all providers into line.

abricko said:
I think scott should have a locked topic, so he can post the updates/photos from his trip, and then we can all fight / complain in another... i don't want to read through all the crap just to get scott's updates.... then after he's done open it up.

I think that would be a good idea also :up

1280x1080i looks like crap on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p sets. If you have a good quality 720p set, you don't want your channels to be sent to you in 1280x1080i.

It may be okay on an EDTV / 480p set.

As soon as HD DVD or (Blue-r if they get off the floor) gets a cumulative library of DVDs and DVDs are release in a more timing fashion, all the premium channels will be gone from my subscription. That will be the first step to combat HD LITE from the consumer point of view.

abricko said:

Geeeeeesh another one. Where do they come from. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

I was told by a VOOM staffer, no longer there, that their channels were down-rezzed at Dish's request. Several of the VOOM channels were being shown in 1920x1080i last autumn. Nothing happened at VOOM to force them to down-rez, well, at least there was no technical reason.

Technically what Dish is saying is true, that they are getting the channels in 1280x1080i from VOOM and passing them along unaltered.

Tom Bombadil said:
1280x1080i looks like crap on 720p, 1080i, and 1080p sets. If you have a good quality 720p set, you don't want your channels to be sent to you in 1280x1080i.

It may be okay on an EDTV / 480p set.

Tom, Tom, Tom haven't you been paying attention? This kind of talk is apparently upsetting to some of the newer patrons and they have respecfully asked us to take it elsewhere. I'm not sure where though, as they've scolded me in 3 threads already.:D

abricko said:
I'll second that - So long as Scott is able to take the time out of his busy day to review that "editorial" thread to comment on our comments or to find the answers to new questions that we may pose.

What does Voom gains by downresizing their own channels when their fiber can send it all at 1920x1080i? This is the question Scott should post to them. Voom does not gain anything. Satellite companies have more to gain by downresizing the channels.

waltinvt said:
Geeeeeesh another one. Where do they come from. It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

ROFLOL!!!:haha They must be from that other place where everything gets censored and history is re-written on a daily basis....All this reality is just too much to much for them. OK, I'll be quite now... ;)

NightRyder

It looks like HD-Lite is quickly becoming the hot topic of discussion at Team Summit...........GOOD! Hey, looks like I have a new rhyme for my little one at bedtime:

Starz-Lite, Starz-Lite
First Starz-Lite I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the wish you weren't Starz-Lite.:D

Sean Mota said:
As soon as HD DVD or (Blue-r if they get off the floor) gets a cumulative library of DVDs and DVDs are release in a more timing fashion, all the premium channels will be gone from my subscription. That will be the first step to combat HD LITE from the consumer point of view.
You and me both Sean. I'll be Blu-Raying it up with absolutely no premium channels. And if HBO keeps cancelling their original programming (like Carnivale and Deadwood - not to mention the fact that Sopranos will be gone soon), I'll drop them too.

The price of these premiums certainly won't reflect the quality of HD-Lite.

Scott Greczkowski said:
So the Sling Announcement was a bust.

Dish Network Dealers will be able to sell SlingBox units however there is no date for this to happen.

Man, I hope E*'s not reading this thread. They're getting a new on torn today. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
So the Sling Announcement was a bust.

Dish Network Dealers will be able to sell SlingBox units however there is no date for this to happen. :(
Looking on the bright side - Perhaps this is the beginning of a beautiful partnership. Wishful thinking here, but wouldn't it be great to combine Slingbox technology with VIP boxes (ethernet port)?

TNGTony said:
Honestly, most people DON'T CARE. It took me a long time of bashing my head against this impenetrable brick wall to realize that most people:
1)Don't care what it sound like... Do it boom?
2)Don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job well
3)Want "the cheapest".

It's just that simple. Until a 1920x1080i plasma screen is in 80% of the homes with every owner screaming for content and voting with their wallets and viewing choices (ratings, media sales, etc) this is the kind of reaction most companies will have. They will provide the best adequecy can give and no more. :)

What makes it really sad is that, once again, most people will NEVER NOTICE. They just don't care.

See ya
Tony

The average Nintendo user doesn't care...... They are being used primarily by 9 year olds......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts