Team Summit: General Assembly Thoughts and Pics

1) What is connected by a "thin client" mean ,in regards to the new 813 and the 110 boxes?

Like the 110 doesn't have it's own satellite tuners or hard drive to store programming. It's all requested from the 813 and streamed to the 110 over whatever media connects the two. If it's MOCA 2.0 then RG6 or straight IP if it uses Ethernet.

You are allowed to continue to exist....same as always.....

Thanks for the permission);

There was a comment in the original thread about new and existing customers would be able to get the $99 cash card, but Scott didn't say anything about existng customers.

Yes, something about paying $99 and getting a $99 cash card, more or less free.

One would think that that is just Standard Operating Procedure until I read that some competing DVRs couldn't do that.

You can't with Uverse on the remote TVs unless you start recording then change channels to the recording in progress. A major hassle. Admittedly, it's been a few months since I had Uverse and there were rumors that would change in an update, it may be different now.

Scott Greczkowski said:
DIRECTV can be the company known for sports and DISH is the company known for movies.

This contradicts what was said about the 24/7 RSN hd.

The whole home dvr seems very exciting. As I have said, it has ruined me and could not switch to a provider that did not offer.
3 things could get me back to Dish in a year. Whole home dvr, 24/7 RSN hd and ESPNU hd. 2 of the 3 were talked about (although not very optimistic about the RSN). I should mention a good deal to switch has to be in there too.:)

This contradicts what was said about the 24/7 RSN hd.

The whole home dvr seems very exciting. As I have said, it has ruined me and could not switch to a provider that did not offer.
3 things could get me back to Dish in a year. Whole home dvr, 24/7 RSN hd and ESPNU hd. 2 of the 3 were talked about (although not very optimistic about the RSN). I should mention a good deal to switch has to be in there too.:)

just stay where you are...

pabeader said:
just stay where you are...

Ha. I am for now. Nothing wrong with a little competition.:)
I am very happy with Direct. With a year left I will reevaluate at the end of my contract.....as I always do.

Thanks Scott,

the whole-house implementation sounds like exactly what i was hoping for!

Any idea on the cabling between the 813 and 110?

I guess the 813 would have to be at the cable home-run location if it is to be able to rg-6 link to multiple 110s? If so, then it would not be located with your primary TV and would even need another 110 for that set.

And would you need more that one cable coming into the house for the 813 to support its three tuners?

Scott you mentioned HBO on demand do you think the "on demand" section will be laid out different

Last edited:
Don't know if it is such a good deal needing a 110 at each TV location. Might just as well have a dedicated DVR. Only plus sounds like sharing content--and maybe needing fewer cables coming into the house. Will be interesting to compare monthly costs to the present multiple DVRs.

No, HBO GO let's you watch HBO stuff on your computer. HBO on Demand is basically another VOD service you can watch on your TV.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

I'm wondering if you'll have a different type lnb or other device utilized with the existing lnb that will stack signals down one line to the 813. And then diplex the signal back to the cable junction to split it out to the 110's. A single line in might help for those homes that are wired with one line in to an On-Que panel. And you'd get rid of some diplexers. But you'd spend a bit more time adding 110's to each "TV2, TV3, TV4" location. It's hard for me to understand how anyone can get in this business now will all the different generations of Dish equipment and the complexities of knowing how they all work or don't work together.