Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
[OK here is something different for you, its not really a Team Summit report, instead it me bring bored while sitting on this airplane on my way to Dallas, so ladies and gentlemen, I present to you – “Random thoughts from inside my big fat head” – Enjoy]

Well the trip to Team Summit 2004 has started, with the alarm clock ringing at 4:30 am for me to wake up for my flight to Dallas. With a quick shower and shave I loaded my bags in my truck and me and my wife were off to the airport.

They always tell you to arrive at the airport early; I got there at 6am for my 7:45 flight to Dallas. Getting through security was a breeze, security is a funny thing, sometimes it takes forever to get through security, while other times you just breeze right through. This morning it took less then 5 minutes to check in, check my bags and get through security.

Since I had over an hour to kill before I was to board my flight I figured I would pull out my laptop, I was kind of surprised to find that there was a wireless connection available, although it was a week one and my laptop kept losing its connection. I barely got the SatelliteGuys.US homepage open.

Sitting I the airport I got bored quick, so I called my wife who I was missing already, in the 4 years we have been married this is only the second time we have been away from each other.

After calling my wife, I started talking to the people sitting next to me, they were all professional bowlers and were going to Dallas from some big Bowling Tournament that is being filmed by ESPN. They were a friendly bunch to talk to, talking to them made the time in the airport fly by quickly.

Soon it was time to board and I quickly found my seat and stored my electronics in the overhead bin. I am carrying enough electronic gear to open my own RadioShack, I have enough power here to do full video editing and broadcasting, as well as a full audio editing suite. Now only if I could transmit live from the plane, now that would be cool.J

After take off, I took a quick 15 minute cat nap I was woken by one of the flight attendants asking me if I would care for a drink, “Orange Juice” I said. Not only did I get a plastic cup of Orange Juice, but I was also given a granola bar. Wow it’s amazing what you get for a $500 plane ticket.

After finishing off my OJ and granola bar, I dug out the laptop and popped in disc 3 of WrestleMania XX, this disc had an excellent documentary on two days in the life of 4 wrestlers. It was a really interesting video to watch. The business changed a lot since I used to work for the WWE (then the WWF) in case you didn’t know it I use to be one of the guys who taped the event centers and interviews for the WWF. These were little things that were inserted into the syndicated shows which made the shows look like they were local, you would have guys like The British Bulldogs say stuff like “Boy we are looking forward to coming to Hartford and Kicking Demolitions ass!” it sounds like it was a fun jub but actually it was boring, as you spend all day with these guys and they would say the same thing over and over again, just inserting a new city name in each spot.

Anyways after watching the Wrestling Documentary I decided I wanted to type, which is what I am doing now from 30,000 feet in the air. The captian said we may be arriving in Dallas a little early, and the tempature is currently 72 degrees. I really can’t wait to get there, there are so many people I am looking forward to meeting. Hard to believe it but I have never met Claude Greiner from DishStore.NET and DishRetailer.COM, I talk to Claude every day on the phone, sometimes for hours, he almost feels like a brother to me, I am really looking forward to meeting him. I am also looking forward to meeting LER (Larry) who has been a blessing to SatelliteGuys, Larry is our resident UNIX Guru (who is also looking for work please if any people know of anything for Larry in the Dallas area, please let me know) Larry does most of the maintance of our server and is the person who got all the sever loaded up with its software. Its going to be great to shake his hand and thank him for all his has done for SatelliteGuys.

There are also many retailers I am looking forward to meeting. My big fear is that I am actually a shy person, when I first meet someone I am usually quiet and make little eye contact, however after a few minutes, the shyness goes away. So for anyone who I meet and I act weird at first please forgive me.

As I type this I now have less then an hour to arivial, so many things going through mind, I am thinking about my 16 month old baby who has been having trouble breathing over the past week, the doctors think he may have asthma and now he needs breathing treatments twice a day to help him breathe. Honestly I almost canceled my trip because I was worried about him, but honestly I need a little get away and my father will be taking care of him until I return, so he is in good hands.

I am kind of disappointed in this plane ride, a three and a half hour trip and only one drink, there is not even any movies or music channels you can listen to with funny headphones, this plane does not even have those super expensive telephones so you can call people and tell them you’re an idiot for paying top dollar to tell them you are on a plane. One plus is the ride has been extremely smooth, and for most of the ride it has been a clear view of the ground below. One thing I found funny about this ride is this ride was completely over land, I am still trying to figure out why they told us if we crash in water to use our seat cushion as a flotation device. If I see water (and lots of it) I know we are in trouble. As many times as I have flown I am still amazed by the way the ground looks from up here, looks like a giant quilt.

Before I left this morning I got to read SkyReport and SkyRetailer who had pictures up from the Team Summit setup, I really wish Ryan from Skyretailer could have come as he is someone else I would love to meet. I am not telling where those pictures came from that are on the SkyRetailer site. (Although the pub members know) :D

Tonight is the opening night and Joe Clayton the CEO of Sirius will be speaking, I am looking forward to hearing him speak. I am also looking forward to talking with and meeting everyone from Echostar. They may consider me a pain in the ass, but they really need they have to work with us better. I would love to work with them closer. Echostar should REALLY learn that they have more to gain by working with me, because if they don’t work with me I still find out and report the information anyways. People say sometimes that I am in Dish’s pocket, while others call me a Dish basher. I just really call things as I see them, when Dish deserves praise I give it, and when they do something wrong I call them to the table on it. I feel I am really fair with everything I report on them.

Oh goody here comes the drink cart again, this time is good old Coca Cola for me, I am a coke freak. If you have ever been to my house you would see I am a coke freak, I have a entire wall in my bar area of all kinds of Coke stuff, plus a big collection of Neon signs. I am lucky that my wife lets me mess up a good wall like that.

Speaking of drinking a lot of retailers want to take me out drinking tonight, and I am kind of worried about that as I am not really a drinker. On one hand I can count the number of alcoholic beverages I have consumed over the last year. If I do drink let’s hope I don’t get too drunk. I really don’t plan on drinking, but with peer pressure combined with the fact I am not driving may equal ole Scott having a few.

As I type this I just clicked on my Internet Explorer to check how SateliteGuys is doing, I forgot that there is no Internet access up here 30,000 feet in the air. Now that I think about it this is probably the longest I have been at a computer with no Internet access. This is also the longest I have used this laptop as well. I purchased this laptop just to go to Team Summit, it’s a real powerful machine, its a HP ZX5078CL, with a 3.06 Pentium 4 processor, 512MB Ram, a widescreen monitor, fire wire, USB 2.0, Built in Digital Media reader, a real good harmon/kardon sound system, both a wired 10/100 ethernet port and 802.11g wireless network and a 60 gig hard drive.

The captain just came on and told us we would be landing in about 30 minutes, the tempature has gone up and it is now 79 degrees in Dallas. I am so looking forward to landing. Claude Greiner is picking me up at the airport, as I said earlier it will be out first time meeting. Claude and I have worked very well together, as you may know I run both his DishStore.NET site for him as well as his DishRetailer site. Its amazing that two guys can work so well together without even shaking hands once. To be honest we don’t even have any contracts, we both trust each other, and that’s a rare thing. I don’t know of two many people who run as big of a business as Claude and I do with DishStore.NET and don’t have anything more then our word to fall back on.

When your sitting on a plane you don’t realize how fast your going, I was just looking out my window and a Leer Jet flew by and that thing was FAST. That was the only plane I saw on this ride in the air.

Well looks like we are getting ready to land, time to put the notebook away. I look forward to bringing you more when I can from Team Summit 2004. If you made it this far thanks for reading my journal. Hard to believe I typed as much as I did, but I actually had fun sharing my thoughts with you. Thanks again to all for making SatelliteGuys.US the huge success it is today.

Another update when I can get to it. J

Time to invest in a portable DVD player. Great picture and sound and I NEVER have to watch a lame 3rd Rock from the Sun episode EVER again on a flight. (Or upgrade your laptop to one with a DVD-ROM drive)

My last flight from Florida a few weeks back let me watch a couple of episodes from my Firefly DVD Box set. Sweeeeet.

Scott thanks for this thread. It brought back allot of old good memories from a long time ago in a land far away. My Dad was in the military, we traveled allot. Take care have fun but not to much fun. You might want to become a writer, good story teller. Best Wishes to you and your family.

Good luck with your son. My oldest (10) has asthma, but he is a star football & soccer player.

You really need to invest in a GameBoy SP to pass the time.:D

Looking forward to your reports.

BobMurdoch said:
Time to invest in a portable DVD player. Great picture and sound and I NEVER have to watch a lame 3rd Rock from the Sun episode EVER again on a flight. (Or upgrade your laptop to one with a DVD-ROM drive)

My last flight from Florida a few weeks back let me watch a couple of episodes from my Firefly DVD Box set. Sweeeeet.

How do you think he watched Wrestlemania? Osmosis?

Thanks guys, having a great time.

Larry (LER) is here aas I type this and he keep correcting my spelling mistakes. :D

Claude is here as well and we are getting ready to upload some pictures.

Jack (jrjcd) just let here a few minutes ago, it was good to meet him too.

I even got to meet Mr Bo Dickey. Whats a Bo Dickey? Don't ask. Good product stupid name.

I am told that Sirus will have another major announcement tonight, I will try to update the page as soon as I hear anything.

Good to have you here in Dallas. I would like to meet everyone, but do not want to impose. Just let me know. Thanks.

Team Summit Update

Ok here is the first news from Team Summit.

This is not official yet, but I just got a news flash from Reuters which validates what I was told.

Tonight's Major announcement from Sirius will be that they are introducing a new CO Branded Sirius / Dish Network Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver. The cost of this unit will $149.99 and will be available from Dish Network retailers nationwide.

No word on what kind of unit this unit will be.

More information as we have it.

Here is a picture of the new radio (taken from a picture shown to me by someone from Sirius) :)

I do plan on getting one of these radios tonight and will take pictures of the real radio.

Attachments

• siriusradio.jpg
    siriusradio.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,070

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)